History of Starfleet

The Next Generation
Victory is Life
Ensign
Ensign

Re: History of Starfleet

Post by Victory is Life »

Mikey wrote:Ummm.... OK. And... ?

Ummm...Was just stating something relevant to the discussion that I found interesting...ummmm....
"You may win this war, Commander, but I promise you, by the time it's over, you will have lost so many ships, so many lives, that your "victory" will taste as bitter as defeat."
- Female Changeling
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Victory is Life wrote:Ummm...Was just stating something relevant to the discussion that I found interesting...ummmm....
Not relevant actually because, as I said, MB is a repository of non-canon material.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Post by Lighthawk »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Lighthawk wrote:Remember though, S31 isn't an intelligence agency in the same sense of the CIA or the like.
What gives you that idea? In many ways the CIA is the perfect analogy, given their tendency towards action rather than just intelligence gathering.
[/quote]

As I recall, which could be wrong granted, but S31 was brought into existence due to the realization that in order for the Federation to survive, there would be times when the necessary action would be one that violated Federation law and/or moral code. Thus S31 was created unofficially, they are not part of the Federation and thus not bound by it's laws or moral code. And from what we have seen of them, that we can for sure say is their doing, they seem to concern themselves with events that A) threaten the whole of the Federation, and B) that SF itself can't deal with. Your typical intelligence agency, if you can call one typical, generally cares about and gets involved in any threat it finds out about, depending on the scale and available resources of course.
Victory is Life
Ensign
Ensign

Captain Seafort wrote:
Victory is Life wrote:Ummm...Was just stating something relevant to the discussion that I found interesting...ummmm....
Not relevant actually because, as I said, MB is a repository of non-canon material.

I was aware of that, hence my comment of 'interesting that I wasn't the only one who THOUGHTthat.
"You may win this war, Commander, but I promise you, by the time it's over, you will have lost so many ships, so many lives, that your "victory" will taste as bitter as defeat."
- Female Changeling
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

For the record, the Obsidian Order had nothing to do with the Prometheus theft.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Lighthawk wrote:As I recall, which could be wrong granted, but S31 was brought into existence due to the realization that in order for the Federation to survive, there would be times when the necessary action would be one that violated Federation law and/or moral code.
And trying to murder the head of state of a country the US is not at war with is consistent with the law and moral code of the US?
they seem to concern themselves with events that A) threaten the whole of the Federation, and B) that SF itself can't deal with. Your typical intelligence agency, if you can call one typical, generally cares about and gets involved in any threat it finds out about, depending on the scale and available resources of course.
In other words, S31 is a typical intelligence agency. I see no difference between those two definitions.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Victory is Life
Ensign
Ensign

Tsukiyumi wrote:For the record, the Obsidian Order had nothing to do with the Prometheus theft.

Tal Shiar...My bad, I always get the two mixed up since TDIC...
- Female Changeling
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Typical intelligence agencies don't involve themselves with any threat - rather, they tend to limit themselves to their own mission statements/spheres of influence. The CIA rarely involves itself with internal affairs that are more appropriately the province of the FBI, and neither one tends to attend ,ilitary matters which are the province of the NSA (for example.) Neither prosecutes national-level counterfeiting investigations, which are the province of the Secret Service. Etc., etc.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Foxfyre
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Foxfyre »

Mikey wrote:Typical intelligence agencies don't involve themselves with any threat - rather, they tend to limit themselves to their own mission statements/spheres of influence. The CIA rarely involves itself with internal affairs that are more appropriately the province of the FBI, and neither one tends to attend ,ilitary matters which are the province of the NSA (for example.) Neither prosecutes national-level counterfeiting investigations, which are the province of the Secret Service. Etc., etc.
Its a wonder that they get ANYTHING done.....
Genius insania et conseri manum
USSEnterprise
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by USSEnterprise »

Maybe S31 had something to do with the phase cloaking device :o
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

That, IIRC, isn't just speculation - it was specifically mentioned in The Episode That Will Not Be Spoken Of.
Victory is Life
Ensign
Ensign

What episode?
- Female Changeling
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

These Are the Voyages
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

They stole it from the Tholians.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

Post by SolkaTruesilver »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Lighthawk wrote:As I recall, which could be wrong granted, but S31 was brought into existence due to the realization that in order for the Federation to survive, there would be times when the necessary action would be one that violated Federation law and/or moral code.
And trying to murder the head of state of a country the US is not at war with is consistent with the law and moral code of the US?
I don't know if it's against the "Moral code of the US", but it's certainly morally not above the US's history of intelligence operations in Latin America. They did killed a lot of people over there between the 50's and now.