Help please

Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Help please

Post by Lighthawk »

I'm trying to open a power point show I need to watch for one of my online classes, but I can not get the damn thing to work. I can't open it on the website, and when I download it I get this...

If I try to open it, it instead opens a window asking me to save it again, and if I try to save it I get "The converter failed to save the file"

Anyone know how to wrangle this thing?
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

Re: Help please

Post by SolkaTruesilver »

At first glance, I'd guess corrupted file. Can you re-download it?
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Post by Lighthawk »

SolkaTruesilver wrote:At first glance, I'd guess corrupted file. Can you re-download it?
Several times, on multiple computers.
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

Post by SolkaTruesilver »

Looks bad then. Check with other classmates if you are the only one with problems.

Maybe corrupted file at the source?
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

Where the change button is, click change, when the diologue comes up, change it to Powerpoint, it looks like it's trying to open it as an XML rather than a ppt which would be a great problem.
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Lighthawk »

I don't actually have Powerpoint on any of my computers. The only reason I've been trying is that the teacher actually said we don't need Powerpoint to view it, that it should work for a "variety" of programs. A claim I'm finding more and more dubious.
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

Lighthawk wrote:I don't actually have Powerpoint on any of my computers. The only reason I've been trying is that the teacher actually said we don't need Powerpoint to view it, that it should work for a "variety" of programs. A claim I'm finding more and more dubious.
Do you have openoffice on your computer? if so that should be able to open it.
The world ended

Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Lighthawk »

I do not.
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

Download openoffice and it should be able to open the file, with the powerpoint program included on it.

It's at http://www.openoffice.org
The world ended

Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Lighthawk »

Dammable work filters! Ah well, I'll check it out when I get home. Thank you, I really appreciate it.
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

Glad to help.
The world ended

Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Lighthawk »

2 steps forward, 1 step back. Openoffice will show me the slides, but I can't get it to play the sound files, which of course contain the bulk of the important information. And by bulk I mean 99% of all relevant data, the pictures are pretty much useless. Why the hell didn't he just make these into simple sound files that could be played on any media player?
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

I wonder if it's possible to decrypt a ppt? More than likely yes, I'll look into it once I get home and out of classes and get back to you.
The world ended

Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Lighthawk »

I am about ready to commit acts, fueled by anger, that would be considered illegal across 90% of the world. So it turns out my mother-in-law has Powerpoint, and lent me the disc. Yay, problem solved right? Yeah right. It's incompatible with my laptop's version of XP, of course. If it doesn't work on my desktop when I get home there will be bodies, oh yes...
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

If it doesn't work send me the file in an email, I'll take it apart and send the audio files back to you.
The world ended