linux

lcpl seilicki
Chief petty officer
Chief petty officer

linux

Post by lcpl seilicki »

I need some help. I have an old laptop that doesn't have a hard drive and I refuse to give Micro$oft any money, so I want to put linux on it. The question is which version would be best. And I just want to do cloud computing
When all else fails, get a bigger hammer
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: linux

Post by Nickswitz »

I would say go with Ubuntu, it's just the easiest to use IMO.
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

I'd have to agree, it's about the only linux that I find even remotely usable.
lcpl seilicki
Chief petty officer
Chief petty officer

Post by lcpl seilicki »

What about puppy linux or mini XP? I have heard good things about those.
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

The problem with them is that they are "dumbed down" version of Linux and therefore you don't get the computing power that you would want from a regular PC, so I would suggest Ubuntu as the others are really only useful for netbooks.
The world ended

lcpl seilicki
Chief petty officer
Chief petty officer

Post by lcpl seilicki »

Will I have to go hunting for drivers for the DVD drive, my wifi and various other things
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

Nah, probably not. I've found that they have most drivers already available through direct install, once you install it, you should be able to connect it to the internet, and once that happens, it'll automatically update what needs to be updated.
The world ended

lcpl seilicki
Chief petty officer
Chief petty officer

Post by lcpl seilicki »

Cool beans
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

Can't say I agree about Ubuntu being dumbed down, though its certainly more windowsesque then most other linux variants. Its definitely a good introduction to linux.

As for finding drivers, Ubuntu will 'just work' or you'll have no end of problems, depending on your system and who you ask. I'd reccomend a cable connection to the web at first, just incase the wireless doesn't work straight away.

Like most Linux distributions I've tried, you can run Ubuntu off the installation disk before you install it, which will let you try it out first. I use it fairly often for extracting data of buggered machines at work.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

kostmayer wrote:Can't say I agree about Ubuntu being dumbed down, though its certainly more windowsesque then most other linux variants. Its definitely a good introduction to linux.
I was saying that the other versions he mentioned were dumbed down versions, Ubuntu is a full featured version of Linux, and as kost said, I would suggest that you have a wired connection just in case.
The world ended

kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

Ah sorry Nick, misread your post.

I use Ubuntu most of the time, the only thing that's stopping me using it full time is slightly dubious twin monitor support (might just need to do some tweaking), and that Windows syncs nicely with my WinMo phone. Am considering going over to Android when my contract runs out this year, will probably make the switch then.

If anyone does have a netbook btw, I'd reccomend Jollicloud. It isn't quite perfect, but its very fast compared to other operating systems I've tried on mine, and has an interface that looks nice on a smaller screen.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

Ah, Jollicloud has been decent project over the last year. Wonder when the full release version will be available though, I know it's in beta now, but I wonder what the final release version will be like.
The world ended

Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

I use Ubuntu most of the time, the only thing that's stopping me using it full time is slightly dubious twin monitor support (might just need to do some tweaking), and that Windows syncs nicely with my WinMo phone. Am considering going over to Android when my contract runs out this year, will probably make the switch then.
Do it!
Laughing Man
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Laughing Man »

From what i've read lately Linux Mint could be what you need, i'd recommend downloading the 3 that have been mentioned so far and running them as live cd first, then you can get a feel for the interfaces and accessibility, and also make sure the distros have the drivers you need.

also, have you considered chrome OS? it's beta again but due to be released soon
Heck Is Where People Go Who Don't Believe In Golly!