New Computer

Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

New Computer

Post by Tyyr »

Ok, so my old computer is legally dead. The mobo is cooked and it's 4 years old anyways. It's done good and even had the decency to die in such a way as to leave me most of its parts.

What I'm looking for is a new one.

Budget: $1,000 immediate, possibly $1,250 later but you'll have to sell me on it.
Purpose: Gaming
Preferences: Intel and NVidia, lots of RAM and plenty of hard drive space. Doesn't have to be bleeding edge.

This is the computer only. I don't need a second hard drive, I'll be pulling my pair of 250Gb HD's from my current computer. I don't need a second optical drive again I'll be salvaging my extra DVD drive from my dead one. No card reader needed as... say it with me, salvaging my current one. I'm even thinking of trying to salvage my current sound card. I have a new copy of both Windows 7 and Office so I'm good there. Have a great monitor, speakers, keyboard, and mouse as well. I just want to spend a grand on the box. My work has a program that will front me up to $1,000 to buy a new one which is great. I can get it now and go. However if I wait two to three weeks I can spend a bit more, maybe as much as $1,250 or $1,300 so if I'm compromising too much to get in under a grand, I can wait, grudgingly. I just need some advice, mostly in the processor and graphics card. Links to complete builds are great.

http://www.ibuypower.com/Store/Intel_X5 ... or/w/35741

stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Re: New Computer

Post by stitch626 »

The only thing I see that might be a problem with that setup is the power supply. It might be too low. Mind you, I haven't read much on the new i7s so no idea on their power hogging.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

The graphics card demanded the 600W supply. I'm not quite happy going with just enough to get by but the power supply was a big ticket item,upping it another 50 or 100W would break my budget.
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

Up it to the 800 non-name brand, they are for the most part very stable regardless of the brand.
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
USSEnterprise
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by USSEnterprise »

Can you build your own? If not, the video card in the build you mentioned is fairly weak. The GTS 250 is based on the G92 core which has been around for several years.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Can I build my own, yeah. Do I feel like doing it when I can pay about $50 and have someone else do it for me? Not really.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Putting a computer together is about as difficult as assembling a Lego set.

Naturally, I always do it myself.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

That's great, not what I'm doing.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Tyyr wrote:That's great, not what I'm doing.
Just an observation.

...dick.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Yeah well after I just said that's not what I'm doing and every other comment I get across the internet is some variation on, "build it yourself," I'm just a touch sick of it.
USSEnterprise
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by USSEnterprise »

What screen res do you play at?
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

1920 x 1200

The video card is becoming my primary concern.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Tyyr wrote:Yeah well after I just said that's not what I'm doing and every other comment I get across the internet is some variation on, "build it yourself," I'm just a touch sick of it.
Sorry, dude. I'm having a shite week.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

The video card is my concern as well.

Personally, If I could afford it, I'd try to lump for one of the mid range or slightly higher range Radeon HD cards. Best cards we've owned, and we've had enough to build a bloody mini chair out of them.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

I'm definitely bumping the video card up even if it means taking some reductions elsewhere. While I'd prefer an Intel processor I've never had a problem with AMD so I'll probably be switching over to one of them and using the savings to knock the video card up a few notches. I'm pretty sold on NVidia cards though. The first ATI I owned was an eternal pain in the ass from a driver's stand point and the second died after less than a year.