Starcraft II

McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Starcraft II

Post by McAvoy »

Since it has been out for well over two weeks now. Has anyone played it yet? I would have bought it if it wasn't for the fact my laptop seems to be hauling cyber-rocks right now.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Re: Starcraft II

Post by Reliant121 »

I wanted to get it since the original Star craft is one of the few games that are "older" that I can remember, but I have spent this months allowance on Mafia II.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

From what I hear, its a major let down.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

My computer is nowhere near the system requirements.

I'll just get it 5 years after it comes out, like I did with the original.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Post by Lighthawk »

Tsukiyumi wrote:My computer is nowhere near the system requirements.

I'll just get it 5 years after it comes out, like I did with the original.
What he said.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Seriously, I only got Half-Life 2 this year. :lol:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
USSEnterprise
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by USSEnterprise »

I have it and like it. Its nothing groundbreaking, but it adds enough to the game to feel like a sequel rather than the original with some new graphics. The gameplay is still the pretty much the same, but why try to fix what isn't broken...
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

A lot of review sites have been pretty damn positive about it. Gamespot for example had two criticisms being a inconvenient online play system and it only has one campaign, which is Terran instead of having a Protoss and...whatever the other lot are.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Zerg. They look like Starship Trooper bugs.

I believe they plan on releasing different campaigns for the different races.

I enjoyed the original, so if it's basically a 2010 version of the game then I'll like it. But I am going to have to wait until I get a new computer before playing it. My laptop is technically capable of playing it though at reduced levels, but i highly doubt it can actually play it. Something is definitely slowing down my computer.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

I miss a Protoss campaign.

And yeah, Min spec never really works for me. My laptop should work with a lot of games but never manages. Maybe its win7.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

I got Vista and it works sometimes on certain games. Usually crashes.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Oh man, I just got this this weekend. My wife got it for me for our anniversary and I can totally answer all your questions...

EXCEPT MY FUCKING COMPUTER DIED THE MOMENT THE FIRST MISSION LOADED AND I HAD TO HIT THE BUTTON TO START PLAYING IT!
Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Atekimogus »

All in all not so bad. My review in a nut-shell:

The main problem with the game is imho that for starcraft 1 the took warcraft and added a heavy dose of Alien and Warhammer 40k. For Starcraft 2 they took Starcraft 1 and added a heavy dose of world of warcraft.

So even though the people who played starcraft 1 got older, starcraft 2 seems to be targeted at an even younger audience than starcraft 1 complete with gaudy, colourful graphics and a much less grim setting than starcraft 1. The characters are shallow and lack depth (I mean just compare the Gerard duGalle character from Brood Wars with the Prince Charming Arthas clone with daddy issues aka korean fanservice.), the story is predictable and at some point reminded my of mass effect 2 (especially during the protoss-mini-campaign) and somehow I never got the same feeling I had during Brood War, that something epic is happening.

(Also, why is it, that in every damn science fiction setting nowadays the beautiful claustrophobic outer space feeling is ruined by nebulas? I swear every scenario in deep space nowadays is more colourful than planetside missions.)

So don't get me wrong, the game is still excellent, since it isn't that much different in the core than the predecessor. Compared to starcraft 1 it only lacks a good story, interesting characters and the cool, grim outer space setting but who really cares since nowadays it is all about multiplayer. Also, you now can grind achievments. So much fun!

Sometimes I wish Blizzard wouldn't be so successful in asia. The need to cater to the asian market became more and more appearent ever since warcraft 3, which is great if you like the asian art style, not so great if you like the style of starcraft1 and diablo 1 and 2. Ah well, at least there still is bioware.
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

I heard about Diablo 3. Hopefully they won't cater too much on Asian art in that game... Maybe a Asian town or two?

I think I will wait until i get a new computer in a year or two.