SFdebris : Generations

The Next Generation
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: SFdebris : Generations

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Honestly, when it comes to putting shots on target quickly and accurately, I'd take my Glock over the type 1 or 2 phasers any day.

The rifle design is okay by me.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Praeothmin wrote:
Mikey wrote:Wow, looking down the barrel to sight must suck with that rotating monstrosity of Alex'.
That's why he had that nice little gunsight:
http://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=http ... 58&bih=623
That "nice little gunsight" could have as easily been on top of pistol with a more typical orientation, functioned just as well, and not forced a person to hold their arm in such an unnatural position to fire. The human arm's normal, or "at-rest," orientation is with the palm inward - just like the firing position for a typical pistol (here I use the term "pistol" to include revolvers as well.) With Soran's handgun, the forearm most be held at a rotation of ninety degrees from "normal" to fire.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Deepcrush wrote:For those of us trained with firearms with an ounce of sense, we can tell you that if you're not shooting you don't hold the trigger.
Fixed it for you. :wink:
Thank you kindly.
Praeothmin wrote:See, while I agree that a pistol, a weapon with a certain weight, with a recoil, will most certainly need your arm to be at its most "natural" position to fire confortably, again, I need to stress the fact that you are using, in a Phaser, a weapon that is essentially a big laser pointer, so lightweight, no recoil, and your beam itself is also a nice tracing weapon.
I can trace a target with a pistol easily enough, I pull the trigger a second time... Also, because of how easy a pistol is to aim, I don't have to trace as often.
Praeothmin wrote:I have never felt unconfortable using a laser pointer,
You've never felt uncomfortable using a laser pointer because you don't live or die by the speed to which you find your target or how you'd most likely sprain your wrist doing so.
and indeed my arm does not need to be extended as much as with a psitol to "fire" it.
You don't have to extend your arm to fire a pistol either, it just allows for better aim.
Praeothmin wrote:And while we are now discussing the "merits" and flaws of pistols vs Phasers, also remember that this conversation starts from a comment saying Soran's weapon was better designed then a Phaser...
Welcome to DITL, sanity has no meaning here. As to Soran's weapon, the talk was about how it was a killing weapon rather then a sunburn weapon.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Mikey wrote:...With Soran's handgun, the forearm most be held at a rotation of ninety degrees from "normal" to fire.
It enabled him to represent El-Aurian South Central properly, yo.

Sorry, that's been bugging me for years.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

:laughroll:

Maybe its the future's version of a safety...
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Tsukiyumi wrote:
Mikey wrote:...With Soran's handgun, the forearm most be held at a rotation of ninety degrees from "normal" to fire.
It enabled him to represent El-Aurian South Central properly, yo.

Sorry, that's been bugging me for years.
:laughroll: Whenever I saw Soran hold his pistol the way he did, I kept thinking of an alternate A Clockwork Orange with Alex throwing signs and wearing colors. :lol:
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Aww, come on! the movie's great! It's... it's...

:lol: :lol:

Sorry, sorry. Tried to, but failed. Carry on.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:Aww, come on! the movie's great! It's... it's...
The second best TNG film.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Captain Seafort wrote:
RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:Aww, come on! the movie's great! It's... it's...
The second best TNG film.
More's the pity.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Seafort, since no one can click, could you do us a favor and post up a picture of the Uniforms we're talking about?
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

You mean these?

Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Perfect...

Even in stills, those Uniforms look so much better then the PJs of the rest of the crew. Even Worf, out of dress, looks like a Gunners Mate watching a firing chart. Just think of how much better TNG would have been with those instead of the man-skirts. The only thing missing is their side arms.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Deepcrush wrote:Even in stills, those Uniforms look so much better then the PJs of the rest of the crew. Even Worf, out of dress, looks like a Gunners Mate watching a firing chart. Just think of how much better TNG would have been with those instead of the man-skirts.
Why think when you can remember? Look at the folding section of the jackets, and tell me what it reminds you of.
The only thing missing is their side arms.
They've got swords.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Captain Seafort wrote:Why think when you can remember? Look at the folding section of the jackets, and tell me what it reminds you of.
Is this a trick???
Captain Seafort wrote:They've got swords.
Those are sabers, not sidearms. They're on a ship under USS, they should have a pistol on their right hip.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Deepcrush wrote:
Captain Seafort wrote:Why think when you can remember? Look at the folding section of the jackets, and tell me what it reminds you of.
Is this a trick???

Look familiar?