Let's fix Voyager

Voyager
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Let's fix Voyager

Post by Mikey »

The galaxy would subsequently be divided in to the AQ, BQ, GQ, and SQ - the Sisko Quadrant.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Deepcrush wrote:Be nice to see the E-C/Clone running through the DQ.
True, but it would never happen. Can you see Garrett forgetting about timers?
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Deepcrush wrote:Be nice to see the E-C/Clone running through the DQ.
True, but it would never happen. Can you see Garrett forgetting about timers?
Could also edit the story a bit. The Caretaker having the power to bring them but not enough power to send them back. Garrett would stomp the Kazon then install some of the Ocompa to run the array. Follow this by starting her trip home. Of course since this is before the UFP turned pussy, I'd expect Garrett to work a bit more on building relations by aid and saying to hell with the PD dogma. Would be neat to see a bunch of micro Federations pop up in the DQ.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Post by Lighthawk »

I like that idea actually. Instead of the show being about flying on home, what if it was stationed around the array and their efforts to get it working again to send them home. Maybe help the Ocompa become something during the process. I mean they're already halfway across the galaxy, they already have their excuse to bring in new aliens right there, they don't actually need the ship to trek across the galaxy, and having something fixed about the setting other than the main ship would make a nice base to build off of.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Could be really interesting. Seeing the E-C trying build its own base of operations would be neat. Random races coming to the array, some to try and take the new ship and some to join this new hope in that part of the galaxy.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
USSEnterprise
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by USSEnterprise »

Would an Ambassador class even be able to transverse the galaxy to make it back home?
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Post by Lighthawk »

Probably better than an Intrepid. It might be slower, but it was a bigger ship so it could carry more supplies, and being less advanced would be an advantage to a degree because it would make it easier to find replacements for worn out parts. I can't imagine biometeric gel packs were standard parts for most DQ races.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

To be fair, NO UFP-specific technology should have been duplicated in the DQ - it was only deus ex writers that managed that.
as Bull offed Custer
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Lighthawk »

Granted, but still, the less specialized the part, the more likely it'd be that they could find something close enough that they could find a way to make it work.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Lighthawk wrote:Granted, but still, the less specialized the part, the more likely it'd be that they could find something close enough that they could find a way to make it work.
Why would being less advanced mean a part was less specialized? The specialization is the same - a processor for a UFP designed and built computer.
as Bull offed Custer
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Lighthawk »

How about less unique then, rather than specialized?
USSEnterprise
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by USSEnterprise »

Lighthawk wrote:How about less unique then, rather than specialized?
You confused me there... :confused:
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

USSEnterprise wrote:
Lighthawk wrote:How about less unique then, rather than specialized?
You confused me there... :confused:
"Less unique" is nonsensical - "unique" means "one of a kind." It's a discrete state, not an analog one. That's like saying a woman is "a little pregnant," or a corpse is "only slightly dead."

However, if I divine your meaning correctly, it still doesn't stand - UFP tech should be alien to the DQ, no matter what state of advancement it's at in the UFP scheme.
as Bull offed Custer
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Lighthawk »

Mikey wrote:"Less unique" is nonsensical - "unique" means "one of a kind." It's a discrete state, not an analog one. That's like saying a woman is "a little pregnant," or a corpse is "only slightly dead."
Thank you grammar nazi, I feel enlightened by your nitpicking.
However, if I divine your meaning correctly, it still doesn't stand - UFP tech should be alien to the DQ, no matter what state of advancement it's at in the UFP scheme.
Should be, but considering how well tech seems to work between races in trek...I mean hell, the E-D caught a computer virus from an alien race dead for thousands of years, the Defiant used a Romulan cloaking device, DS9 managed to merge, with difficulty admittedly, Fed and Cardassian systems.

One could make the argument that Fed tech is designed around being able to adapt to and use alien tech, because the federation is a collection of over a 100 different alien races, each bringing their own variations of technology.
USSEnterprise
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by USSEnterprise »

Lighthawk wrote:
Mikey wrote:"Less unique" is nonsensical - "unique" means "one of a kind." It's a discrete state, not an analog one. That's like saying a woman is "a little pregnant," or a corpse is "only slightly dead."
Thank you grammar nazi, I feel enlightened by your nitpicking.
Should be, but considering how well tech seems to work between races in trek...I mean hell, the E-D caught a computer virus from an alien race dead for thousands of years, the Defiant used a Romulan cloaking device, DS9 managed to merge, with difficulty admittedly, Fed and Cardassian systems.

One could make the argument that Fed tech is designed around being able to adapt to and use alien tech, because the federation is a collection of over a 100 different alien races, each bringing their own variations of technology.
Most of those races intermingle though. The Federation and DQ have been completely isolated from each other.