Let's fix Voyager

Voyager
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Let's fix Voyager

Post by Deepcrush »

Mikey wrote:Garret was resolute, but a lot more thoughtful about taking to the field.
She must have had some fire in her belly if she took an Ambassador against four Warbirds in defense of an enemy.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Either that or a cool head and a strong sense of duty.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Captain Seafort wrote:Either that or a cool head and a strong sense of duty.
I doubt duty but more of a moral sense that couldn't be ignored. Didn't matter that those people under attack were her enemies, they were civilians under attack by another military force. To stand by and watch them die would have been the same as committing the act herself.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Deepcrush wrote:I doubt duty but more of a moral sense that couldn't be ignored.
Possibly both - if Starfleet had standing orders to respond to all such distress calls, then it would have been a matter of duty as much as moral imperative to defend the outpost.
Didn't matter that those people under attack were her enemies
They weren't - that Garrett was surprised at the fact of the war, rather than merely its duration, suggests that the Federation and the Klingon Empire were, if not allies, then at least reasonably cordial towards each other. It depends whether the downturn was averted by the E-C's actions, or triggered by either her failure to intervene or the sight of her doing a runner mid-battle.
To stand by and watch them die would have been the same as committing the act herself.
Not quite the same, I wouldn't say, but hardly an honourable action.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Captain Seafort wrote:Possibly both - if Starfleet had standing orders to respond to all such distress calls, then it would have been a matter of duty as much as moral imperative to defend the outpost.
Agreed.
Captain Seafort wrote:They weren't - that Garrett was surprised at the fact of the war, rather than merely its duration, suggests that the Federation and the Klingon Empire were, if not allies, then at least reasonably cordial towards each other. It depends whether the downturn was averted by the E-C's actions, or triggered by either her failure to intervene or the sight of her doing a runner mid-battle.
If the UFP/KE were allies at the time then its unlikely the RSE picking a fight with both the KE and UFP at the same time. Another issue is that the actions of the E-C seem tied to the peace. Against that makes it more likely that the UFP and KE were at odds of some degree at the time.
Captain Seafort wrote:Not quite the same, I wouldn't say, but hardly an honourable action.
Its very much the same if you're the one having to stand by and watch it happen.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Deepcrush wrote:If the UFP/KE were allies at the time then its unlikely the RSE picking a fight with both the KE and UFP at the same time.
Agreed - which is what I said.
Another issue is that the actions of the E-C seem tied to the peace. Against that makes it more likely that the UFP and KE were at odds of some degree at the time.
It depends whether her Prime timeline actions prevented the war, or whether her altered timeline actions triggered it. There's a subtle difference between the two.
Its very much the same if you're the one having to stand by and watch it happen.
I disagree. For example, while the actions of the Dutch troops who were meant to be guarding Srebrenica were a very long way from their finest hour, I do not put them in the same category as Karadic.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Another issue is that the actions of the E-C seem tied to the peace. Against that makes it more likely that the UFP and KE were at odds of some degree at the time.
It depends whether her Prime timeline actions prevented the war, or whether her altered timeline actions triggered it. There's a subtle difference between the two.
I always tended to view it as, the Klingon Empire and UFP were not necessarily the best of friends, but were at least engaged in some sort of dialogue (perhaps there was a resurgence against Gorkon's views in the KE). It is possible that the sacrifice of a starship crew to save people who were not allies was what perhaps sealed the deal in the eventual KE/UFP alliance, and that in the alternate timeline the sudden disappearance of the E-C in battle contributed to many other things which led to the war.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Captain Seafort wrote:I disagree. For example, while the actions of the Dutch troops who were meant to be guarding Srebrenica were a very long way from their finest hour, I do not put them in the same category as Karadic.
I admit I had to read up on this but from what I've read, it seems that the Dutch troops didn't even try to halt the matter. Garret ordered her ship to battle knowing she couldn't win to try and stop a wrong, these Dutch troops abandoned their duty on a similar mission. Were they Marines, they would have been dishonorably discharged and their unit disgraced for cowardice.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Deepcrush wrote:
Mikey wrote:Garret was resolute, but a lot more thoughtful about taking to the field.
She must have had some fire in her belly if she took an Ambassador against four Warbirds in defense of an enemy.
The "enemy" bit has already been discussed, but I heartily agree with the rest. That, however, is different than:
Picard wrote:Roslin on drugs with Borg complex and chronic need to kick someone's/something's ass.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

I would say piss-off with Voy and put E-C in the series. Caretaker and all makes a copy of them because he believes they are the right ones for the job and all. Be nice to see the E-C/Clone running through the DQ.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

And a decent captain.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
USSEnterprise
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by USSEnterprise »

Put Sisko in the DQ and there wouldn't be a need for technobabble to defeat the Borg, he would just beat them all to death with their severed arms.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

USSEnterprise wrote:Put Sisko in the DQ and there wouldn't be a need for technobabble to defeat the Borg, he would just beat them all to death with their severed arms.
In the words of the SfDebris "First Contact" review,
New Borg Monologue wrote:We are the Borg. We are unstoppable --- he's not here right? We're sure he's not here? -- We cannot be stopped by anyone (who is present)
Also, *points-to-sig*
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Post by Lighthawk »

And after he did, all the DQ would hail the Sisko as the one true savior.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Lighthawk wrote:And after he did, all the DQ would hail the Sisko as the one true savior.
All hail to The Sisko, he will lead us to the light and claim the Throne.

For the Sisko, for the EMPEROR!