Shite
No votes

Total votes: 6
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

DW 31x13: The Big Bang

Post by Captain Seafort »

So, the end of Matt Smith's first series, and it was pretty damn good. I particularly liked the way they moved around between time periods, and the use of a Dalek without turning the episode into an overblown Dalek-heavy monstrosity like Journey's End.

Overall, while the stakes were just as high as Journey's End and The End of Time, this one felt like proper Doctor Who - it avoided the pomposity of the others, and felt like it was concentrating on story rather than spectacle.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: DW 31x13: The Big Bang

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I enjoyed that quite well. I liked the jumping around through time using River's thingy and that they didn't reveal just who/what was controling the TARDIS and trying to get it to explode.

Also, glad to see that the Doctor's re-appearing jacket in Flesh and Stone wasn't just a continuity error. :)
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
colmquinn
Commander
Commander

Post by colmquinn »

Over all a decent ep - though I don't particularly like the whole remembering people brings them back angle.
However - Daleks don't beg for mercy i didn't like that bit (however it isn't a major problem).
But I can't throw, I throw like a geek!
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

colmquinn wrote:However - Daleks don't beg for mercy
They do, under the right circumstances - the eponymous Dalek from S27, for example.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
colmquinn
Commander
Commander

Post by colmquinn »

Not proper ones! :)
But I can't throw, I throw like a geek!
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I have no problem with Daleks begging for mercy - they certainly would, and you just have to bear in mind that if the situation reversed itself one second later, the Dalek would forget all about mercy and kill it's target instantly.

I liked the leaping backwards and forwards the Doctor did. Moffat loves to play with time travel that way, and it's something Who generally shies away from. In Confidential afterwards he did make the point that the Doctor is breaking all the rules about going back over his timeline when he's gotten involved in events, simply because the situation is so extreme as to demand it.

I love, love, LOVED the way Amy remembered the TARDS on her wedding day. "Something old... and yet new. Something borrowed... something blue!" What an absolutely perfect moment that was.

Overall, loved it.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...