Species of the week: Xindi

Enterprise
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Species of the week: Xindi

Post by Teaos »

One of the only planets to develop multiple sentient species on a single planet at the same time. Other like earth have produced more than one over time and others have developed different species but with an obvious common ancestor.

Not only did they produce more than one but 6 different species although one is now terminated.

I find the idea totally stupid and even more beyond belief than most of trek.

Although I do find the idea of an aquatic species very interesting and the fact that they may have spared tech with the other species explains how they are this advanced technology wise .

We know they join the Federation in a future but I'm not sure if they are part of it in the normal timeline of TNG.

Thoughts?
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Congrats, we're now 2 whole posts without going off topic :lol:

I think it is a stretch to have so many species, but what in Trek isn't. But the idea that 6 could form is a little ridiculous, unless we were looking at an incredibly resource rich planet from which all 6 species had very different needs.

But then, are we to assume all M-Class planets are roughly Earth size? I coudl see this happening on a world much larger than Earth. After all, we had Neanderthals and Homo Sapiens at the same time.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Azrael
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Azrael »

I am surprised we didn't hear any more of the Xindi.. then again, ENT decided to throw continuity out the window..
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

But you assume if it's bigger it has higher gravity. But from what we see of the Xindi they seem to enjoy the same gravity as us. Also they have that dead flying species. I doubt you could achive flight in really high gravity.

One way it might happen is to have seperate continents and have them be almost impossible to travel between with out a decent level of tech, around 1800's earth for example. That could maybe account for 3 or maybe 4 species.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

But that would also assume separate evolutions and ultra-slow plate tectonics, no? I don't have a problem with the separate continent theory, but if it was anything like Earth, there was still going to be some sort of common ancestor between the separate species. Such differentiation would indicate either fast evolution, very slow development/continental drift, or some other really freaky factor.

And for the sake of sci-fi, instead of having a Nickel/Iron Core, perhaps the Xindi homeworld had a much lighter core. Lets say 1/4th as dense. Gravity could be significantly less of a force.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

and ultra-slow plate tectonics, no?
Just because Earth has continental drift doesnt mean everyone does. Alien planets may have a solid crust.[/quote]

Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Fair enough, but that would then make for some oddball planet dynamics.

My memories of Enterprise are fleeting: Do we see a real dominant race among the Xindi?
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Depends what you class as dominant.

Aquatic have the biggest ships and seem to have the best tech.

Reptiles are the strongest military

Bugs have the most numbers

Primates seem to be the scientists

Arborials seem to be mediators

They all have a form of power.

Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

By dominant I meant the master race, if you will. Lets be honest, Humans are the dominant race in the Federation. Was more thinking in that line.
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

The Primates and Arboreals, tend to mediate and delegate but the more pugnacious and belligerent reptiles and insects, have gone it alone at times and schismed from the other members of the council, acting diametrically and independently, as featured in certain episodes of enterprise, but regarding the council it appears to be egalitarian, with one representative per species, but that assumption is only based upon the few vignettes, that we've seen
PTLLS (Tees Achieve), DipHE App Bio (Northumbria), BSc Psychology (Teesside), Comparative Planetology (LJMU), High Energy Astrophysics (LJMU), Mobile Robotics/Physics (Swinburne), Genetics (SAC), Quant Meths (SAC)
https://www.facebook.com/PeterBrayshay
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I dont think any of them lead as blatantly as humans do the Federation but the Reptiles seem to have a sort of power if we had to chose one.

Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I found the Xindi a refreshing change, for once. After I got over the initial agravation at the blatant disregard of canon, that is.
The idea of so many sapient races, while improbable, is not imposible. Although I do wonder how they avoided killing each other off in mass crusades.
Also, the fact that we got a group of aliens that weren't members of the Bumpy Head club was nice.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

They did kill off one of the species in a war. The other were about to be killed off till the sphere builders show up.

Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I can't remember most of ENT, so I'm not surprised I forgot that.
Particularly if it was connected to that idiotic Xindi Death Star plot.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I actually liked each species individually, for the most part, they were not
members of the Bumpy Head club.
However, aside from issues of interaction, a planet being able to support, resource-wise, 6 different carbon-based civilizations beggars understanding.

And to increase the lack of common sense of that situation,
Teaos wrote:Also they have that dead flying species. I doubt you could achive flight in really high gravity.
We know that the extinct species was avian, but I don't recall ever hearing that they were capable of independent flight. To use an example local to you, moas were definitely avian, but flightless. In addition, having acultural level of technology would presuppose hands, which in normal avian forelimbs would shrink the leading edge of the wing to uselessness.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer