Random DS9 thoughts

Deep Space Nine
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Random DS9 thoughts

Post by Mark »

As I've said several times, DS9 was my favorite of the Trek franchises. Thus I have begun to watch my dearly loved series from the first episode thanks to netflix. I'd forgotten what complete crap the first season was. The Storyteller and if Wishes were Horses. Bleh!

We got so see interesting peeks at some characters though. Rom wasn't complete twit he was later on, after all he was ready to space Quark. Dax was arrogant, and Bashir damned annoying. Kira seemed unstable and in need of medication in most episodes. Didn't seem like they knew WHICH way to go with Odo.

But right from the get go, Ben Sisko was a bad mamojamma. It takes guts to knock an omnipotent being on his ass.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Random DS9 thoughts

Post by Captain Seafort »

Mark wrote:I'd forgotten what complete crap the first season was.
None of the spin-off series had a decent first season, and they all improved considerably. The difference was that DS9 and TNG stayed up, Voyager improved from a low base and then dipped again, and by the time Enterprise improved Paramount had had enough.
Kira seemed unstable and in need of medication in most episodes.
Not entirely surprisingly, given that she'd been fighting a guerilla war since she was a child.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Good point about Kira. I just realized, if anyplace could have USED a counseller it was early DS9. Having Ezri join the crew in season 7 was a bit late, as everyone seemed to have mellowed out by then.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Mark wrote:Good point about Kira. I just realized, if anyplace could have USED a counseller it was early DS9. Having Ezri join the crew in season 7 was a bit late, as everyone seemed to have mellowed out by then.
They had a councillor - they got a brief mention when O'Brien was recovering from his time dilation prison sentence.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

They DID? :confused: Huh, I've seen that ep a few times but don't remember that. What stuck out for me was what a phaser on setting 16 would do when pressed directly to the underside of a mans jaw.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Mark wrote:What stuck out for me was what a phaser on setting 16 would do when pressed directly to the underside of a mans jaw.
Somewhere between minor toothache and punching a hole through half the station, depending on who did that week's SFX.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

:laughroll:
Foxfyre
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Foxfyre »

I just finshed watching the last episode of DS9 and saw a few things, popped over here to confrim it. I noticed on at least two of the Fed ships that they lacked NCC numbers on there dorsal hulls. I checked on this sites Advance on Cardassia page to have a close look at the still images and it stood out clear as day. Anyone eles notice that?
Genius insania et conseri manum
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Probably a security measure for the duration of the war, to make it more difficult for the Dominion to figure out how many ships the alliance had, and where they were. The Royal Navy did something similar during the war by removing ships' names from the crews' headgear.
Foxfyre
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Foxfyre »

Captain Seafort wrote:Probably a security measure for the duration of the war, to make it more difficult for the Dominion to figure out how many ships the alliance had, and where they were. The Royal Navy did something similar during the war by removing ships' names from the crews' headgear.
Makes sense from an in universe view, from a fan view more like lazy SFX staff lol
Genius insania et conseri manum
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Foxfyre wrote:Makes sense from an in universe view, from a fan view more like lazy SFX staff lol
Or they simply ran out of money. Given that most of the battle was old stuff from Sacrifice of Angels and Tears of the Prophets for the same reason, it wouldn't be surprising that they were trying to keep the cost down to the absolute minimum.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

OU, they reused models a lot and didn't want the time and expense of re-labelling them all the time to be different ships.

IU, Starfleet was rushing ships into service and didn't bother to paint the names on any more.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

I would think that painting a ship's hull wouldn't be that time consuming. Then again it could be quantum hull paint for all we know.

I'm more inclined to believe that hull markings were kept off as a way to keep the Dominion guessing how many ships the Federation has and which ships were lost.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

It would certainly make things more difficult for the Dominion's intel groups if they couldn't just look at the top of a ship and see which vessel it was.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
BigJKU316
Captain
Captain
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by BigJKU316 »

Sionnach Glic wrote:It would certainly make things more difficult for the Dominion's intel groups if they couldn't just look at the top of a ship and see which vessel it was.
The US did something similar by having 3rd Fleet and 5th fleet made up of the same ships in WWII but having different commanders for the two groups. Basically you do it that way just to make the other side do the work. Even if they figure out the right numbers it still occupies a lot of time sorting through the data. No real reason to make it easy.

If you really wanted to have fun you could change the numbers and names on ships constantly just to piss off the other sides intel groups trying to figure out your assets. Throw a couple of duplicate names and numbers in on different fleets very far apart and they suddenly have to answer a lot of questions.