2 Star Admiral

Sfdebris: The Siege of AR-558 Review

Post by Nutso »

"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Re: Sfdebris: The Siege of AR-558 Review

Post by Sonic Glitch »

"Then he called it Defiant, a name which practically shakes its fist at the Borg. And that was his second choice,Starfleet felt that USS Ben Sisko's MotherFucking Pimp-Hand was too long" -- Favorite line, bar none. I do enjoy, and never really noticed, the relation of the Ferengi and the storyline. Interesting.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Wow, let's just say that YouTube's new subtitles feature needs some work. :lol:
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

That was a good ep. I actually want to watch it again now, I watched it when it first came out, I remember it a little, but I haven't seen it in a while.
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

I like seeing his flavor back. He seemed to lack that energy we so enjoy on STVI.

I also agree, it was a good review and a good ep.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Sonic Glitch wrote:"Then he called it Defiant, a name which practically shakes its fist at the Borg. And that was his second choice,Starfleet felt that USS Ben Sisko's MotherFucking Pimp-Hand was too long" -- Favorite line, bar none. I do enjoy, and never really noticed, the relation of the Ferengi and the storyline. Interesting.
:mrgreen:

I enjoyed the Ferengi subplot alittle. When I first saw the episode I did enjoy Quark's statement about hew-mons being as bloodthirsty as Klingons.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

What intrigues me about that "Humans can be as bad as any Klingon" line is that a LOT of people who reference it do so in a "Humans! Hell yeah we're bad!" way... celebrating the very thing that Quark is lamenting. I find that ironic.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

GrahamKennedy wrote:What intrigues me about that "Humans can be as bad as any Klingon" line is that a LOT of people who reference it do so in a "Humans! Hell yeah we're bad!" way... celebrating the very thing that Quark is lamenting. I find that ironic.
I think SFdebris touched a solid point in that Humans are what they were made by instinct. While time has changed and allowed us to better ourselves and by the 24th even more so. We are at the core a violent and greedy race. Some take it as offense seeing it as beneath them. Some take it as pride knowing that they can defend and provide for the needs of others or just themselves.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Or that in the future we won't all be the total pussies that TNG tried to say we would be.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Even in TNG we weren't pussies. The truth is that there were plenty of SF Officers that were more then willing to pick a fight. The problem is that the UFP as a whole wasn't looking for war. As the review said and as we've covered time after time. The UFP was paradise and "no one leaves paradise and everyone wants into paradise". Another truth is that not everyone looks for paradise. A problem that the UFP found itself in a struggle to understand. Humans, for the most part, enjoy challange and even struggle. To brave that which faces us in the extreme and come out in victory.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Deepcrush wrote:Even in TNG we weren't pussies. The truth is that there were plenty of SF Officers that were more then willing to pick a fight. The problem is that the UFP as a whole wasn't looking for war. As the review said and as we've covered time after time. The UFP was paradise and "no one leaves paradise and everyone wants into paradise". Another truth is that not everyone looks for paradise. A problem that the UFP found itself in a struggle to understand. Humans, for the most part, enjoy challange and even struggle. To brave that which faces us in the extreme and come out in victory.
Kirk got that.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

I'm not suggesting that we were, only that every time a Starfleet officer opened their mouth about human nature in TNG it was to spout off another line about how evolved we were. It's nice to see that from another perspective, the Ferengi one, humans are regarded in a totally different way.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:Kirk got that.
Which is what made him so effective. Just like Sisko, Kirk never tried to be nor pretended to be perfectly evolved. They were both flawed and they accepted it as such.
Tyyr wrote:I'm not suggesting that we were, only that every time a Starfleet officer opened their mouth about human nature in TNG it was to spout off another line about how evolved we were. It's nice to see that from another perspective, the Ferengi one, humans are regarded in a totally different way.
And we saw the price of that attitude. How many people of the UFP and personnel of SF had to die time after time for that "party line". Like you said, we see ourselves in the future, this evolved sense of being. Truth be told, most of us don't like it. I guess that is as much the message as the whole world peace idea. That while we can change and we can be better. We also have to remember who we are and where we come from.
BigJKU316
Captain
Captain
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by BigJKU316 »

Deepcrush wrote:
RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:Kirk got that.
Which is what made him so effective. Just like Sisko, Kirk never tried to be nor pretended to be perfectly evolved. They were both flawed and they accepted it as such.
Tyyr wrote:I'm not suggesting that we were, only that every time a Starfleet officer opened their mouth about human nature in TNG it was to spout off another line about how evolved we were. It's nice to see that from another perspective, the Ferengi one, humans are regarded in a totally different way.
And we saw the price of that attitude. How many people of the UFP and personnel of SF had to die time after time for that "party line". Like you said, we see ourselves in the future, this evolved sense of being. Truth be told, most of us don't like it. I guess that is as much the message as the whole world peace idea. That while we can change and we can be better. We also have to remember who we are and where we come from.
That is why I wish they would go past DS9 in a new series. My take on the Federation has always been this.

TOS and the movies of that cast showed a Federation that was dealing with real threats and for all its ideal was a rational power. TNG basically reminds me of the US in the post civil war and post WWI periods. They think that good feelings can make things fine. There are no major threats to them for a long time and they get very comfortable.

But the Borg a bit and the Dominion a lot should change things. It is a very dangerous world out there. It does not make you militaristic to be prepared for it. In fact it makes you stupid to the point of reckless to not prepare for it. That means you need to make realistic decisions and assessments.

I think that is the interesting aspect of what Quark was saying. He basically said if you strip them of their comforts and daily security they will be as nasty as anyone else. Well the Federation as a whole was somewhat stripped of those things. I would love to see how they react to that. I don't think you can get the same blind optimism back they had at the outset of the TNG series.
Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Atekimogus »

"I wanna bridge like Kirk!"

I really like his view on Star Trek bridges since they more or less exactly mirror my own. :mrgreen:

Also liked the Mass Effect (hold the line) references! Best review in awhile imho!
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel.