Deep Space Nine
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Gearing Up For War

Post by Mark »

In
Mikey wrote:
Captain Seafort wrote:I'd rather have someone who wasn't an idiot.

That's the shame of it - the deceitful ones are usually intelligent... at least, intelligent enough to be deceitful.
Indeed. Most of the crap he was spewing "sounded" intelligent, until you looked under the surface. Ask a simple question that could be completely answered by any one of us in five words or less.........and you get a five paragraph rant, distraction, and complaint.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Mark wrote:Indeed. Most of the crap he was spewing "sounded" intelligent, until you looked under the surface. Ask a simple question that could be completely answered by any one of us in five words or less.........and you get a five paragraph rant, distraction, and complaint.
Exactly. Try and refute him point by point and you'll get ripped apart - he's exceptionally good at breaking down his view into tiny fragments that, individually, are near impossible to effectively refute. It's only when you step back and look at the whole picture that the idiocy becomes apparent.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Must be nice to have the kind of time to waste on a hobby that you become a master of inane BS.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Cpl Kendall wrote:Must be nice to have the kind of time to waste on a hobby that you become a master of inane BS.
No joke.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Vic
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Vic »

They're called lawyers.
God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.
.................................................Billy Currington
Praeothmin
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Praeothmin »

Nickswitz wrote:
Cpl Kendall wrote:Well, in fairness to the typical SFJ poster, most of them will at least give you a straight answer rather then baffle you with BS.
But they still sound like morons... Just truthful morons.
Just because someone disagrees with your opinion doesn't make that person a moron.
People over there don't agree with all of G2K's conclusions, or even assessments (I should know, I post and read there).
So before you go on calling people idiots or morons, you might want to actually read a bit of the source material, and then form an opinion...
That's usually the intelligent way to evaluate things... :mrgreen:

As for the matter at hand, yes, the GCS were doing much better in the DW then previously seen, even being able to do a "flyby" over a Galor-class ship to attack...
Of course, for the same amount of trust, having all these extra labs gone gives you less mass to move, so you then have an easier time maneuvering.
Sure, the GCS would never behave like the Defiant, but its maneuvering capabilities shown in the DW compared favorably to the E-E in the movies...
The truth always depends on which side of the fence you're standing... ;)
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Vic wrote:They're called lawyers.
http://instantrimshot.com/

:lol:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Yeah we used to call guys like Robby "barrack block lawyers", I hear the navy wogs call them "sea lawyers."
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

...Yes that's what we call them. Someone in the Navy saying something isn't right because something in some book says it's not right. Where as real life dictates the book isn't right.

Anyway, I do agree that Dominion War GCS is much better than TNG. I mean the USS Galaxy herself took a few cratering shots into her hull without exploding.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

She blew up after she had a dominion bug crash into her nacelle, and cause some of it to spear into the engineering section.

Better track record than blowing up due to a few disruptor hits from an obsolete BoP.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Reliant121 wrote:She blew up after she had a dominion bug crash into her nacelle, and cause some of it to spear into the engineering section.

Better track record than blowing up due to a few disruptor hits from an obsolete BoP.
I think it actually went up to a Bug ramming the deflector dish. Presumably the blast penetrated to the warp core, causing it to go up.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Though given the nature of that kind of damage you really can't fault the design.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Sionnach Glic wrote:
Reliant121 wrote:She blew up after she had a dominion bug crash into her nacelle, and cause some of it to spear into the engineering section.

I think it actually went up to a Bug ramming the deflector dish. Presumably the blast penetrated to the warp core, causing it to go up.
While the specifics are different, the principle is the same. A large chunk of physical matter, coupled to varying f*cktonnes of kinetic energy was the only thing that brought her down.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Wait...the Galaxy herself was destroyed? I think your mistaken.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Mark wrote:Wait...the Galaxy herself was destroyed? I think your mistaken.
I think Reliant and SG are talking about Odyssey, not Galaxy.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.