Gearing Up For War

Deep Space Nine
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Re: Gearing Up For War

Post by Tyyr »

My suspicion based off that quote would be that the power distribution grid of the GCS is set up like a conventional power grid you'd see in a city. You don't build 500kV lines to every single house on the off chance they might need that kind of juice in the future. Instead you build the largest line they could reasonably ever need. On a GCS shields and weapons get conduits large enough to handle their maximum designed draw. So you can't just take energy from the labs and run it into the weapons, the power conduits aren't large enough, so in this case rerouting power actually meant rerouting conduits, or waving the magic wand over the existing ones to handle it.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I think it was more realigning the warp coils that would take two days rather than shutting down a power grid.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

I think the talk of war-era GCS' going without holodecks, swim clubs, etc. has less to do with power savings (for the reasons just expressed) or even space savings (there's plenty and to spare already) but with mass savings.

Careful about the Akira-class, SG. There's no real evidence for it being a mass conveyance or "carrier." Certainly, judging by the number of tubes on the model, it's a warship... but that thru-deck bay is a sweet idea, but purely speculation.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Coalition
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Coalition »

GrahamKennedy wrote:One thing Sternbach suggested back in the day was that the war era GCS builds were launching with minimal comforts. They built the power, weapon and other vital systems into them but left out the holodecks and recreational facilities, most of the crew quarters, diplomatic facilities, science labs, etc. As a result the ships were considerably easier and faster to build.

I often wondered about how they use power on the ships. When it goes into combat does the Enterprise-D really keep powering all the holodecks, science labs, replicators, etc? I'd have thought it would shut them all down and divert the power to the shields and phasers. Surely that's within their capability!
Remember Voyager? It had power issues, but could still keep the Holodeck running because it was a (I forget which) different/incompatible power supply. So you could have a Warship going into combat, with a program running in the Holodeck, according to Voyager.

Of course, you also have "Booby Trap", where the Holodeck was shut down due to power loss.

This is assuming that the Ent-D Holodeck and Voyager Holodeck are the same design.

Mikey wrote:I think the talk of war-era GCS' going without holodecks, swim clubs, etc. has less to do with power savings (for the reasons just expressed) or even space savings (there's plenty and to spare already) but with mass savings.
Um, even without the holodeck running, you still have the mass of the raw material. If you want to create 100 kg of matter and you have matter-energy-matter conversion, you will need >100 kg of fuel (due to inefficiencies).
Relativity Calculator
My Nomination for "MVAM Critic Award" (But can it be broken into 3 separate pieces?)
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Um, even without the holodeck running, you still have the mass of the raw material. If you want to create 100 kg of matter and you have matter-energy-matter conversion, you will need >100 kg of fuel (due to inefficiencies).
He's talking about them not having holodecks etc in the first place.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

stitch626 wrote:
Yeah, thanks for the assist, Stitch. Of course the mass of the holodeck and associated material is going to remain constant whether or not it's running. :bangwall: The idea is that the GCS saves the mass of component x if it is launched without component x.
as Bull offed Custer
Coalition
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Coalition »

stitch626 wrote:
Ah, phew. I'm used to people thinking that since the Federation 'gets all its supplies from energy' that it will mass zero. I was pointing out to those people that the fuel needed for that energy will still have mass.
Relativity Calculator
My Nomination for "MVAM Critic Award" (But can it be broken into 3 separate pieces?)
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

This is DITL, not SFJ. :wink:
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

SFJ?
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

StarfleetJedi - an abode of idiots inspired by our recent numpty-of-the-week.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Well, in fairness to the typical SFJ poster, most of them will at least give you a straight answer rather then baffle you with BS.
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

Cpl Kendall wrote:Well, in fairness to the typical SFJ poster, most of them will at least give you a straight answer rather then baffle you with BS.
But they still sound like morons... Just truthful morons.
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

I'd rather have a willfully honest idiot, than a willfully deceitful one.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

I'd rather have someone who wasn't an idiot.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Captain Seafort wrote:I'd rather have someone who wasn't an idiot.

That's the shame of it - the deceitful ones are usually intelligent... at least, intelligent enough to be deceitful.
as Bull offed Custer