Worst ship design in sci-fi?

Everything else
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Worst ship design in sci-fi?

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Well, what ship design do you think is the worst of all sci-fi ships? And why?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

Is this in-universe or out-universe?
PTLLS (Tees Achieve), DipHE App Bio (Northumbria), BSc Psychology (Teesside), Comparative Planetology (LJMU), High Energy Astrophysics (LJMU), Mobile Robotics/Physics (Swinburne), Genetics (SAC), Quant Meths (SAC)
https://www.facebook.com/PeterBrayshay
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Either. Pick a ship you hate, for whatever reason. Maybe because it looks stupid? Maybe because its incredibly underpowered? Maybe the whole concept is just ridiculous?

Oh, I forgot to mention; my vote goes for the Galaxy class starship.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

The Aurora, TOS, Way to Eden
They took one of my favourite designs (the tholian webspinner) and added poxy pencil-nacelles and 'transformed it' into the earthship Aurora or whatever, and to further the humiliation, used it in that episode
PTLLS (Tees Achieve), DipHE App Bio (Northumbria), BSc Psychology (Teesside), Comparative Planetology (LJMU), High Energy Astrophysics (LJMU), Mobile Robotics/Physics (Swinburne), Genetics (SAC), Quant Meths (SAC)
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

In terms of Aesthetics, i love the Galaxy class of starships, its 'chubby' like a spacefaring Mr Pop'n'Fresh
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

The Aurora, TOS, Way to Eden
They took one of my favourite designs (the tholian webspinner) and added poxy pencil-nacelles and 'transformed it' into the earthship Aurora or whatever, and to further the humiliation, used it in that episode
'That' episode? I am quite sure that 'that' episode does not exist. You understand? It never happened!
:P
In terms of Aesthetics, i love the Galaxy class of starships, its 'chubby' like a spacefaring Mr Pop'n'Fresh
:lol:
Mind if I sig' that?
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

lol x2

Actually if you ever decide to do 'worst' or 'least favourite' race, then count me in for the Kazon........CRRRRAAAAAPPPPPPPPPPPP protoklingons, with the hair of 'Shaft' and none of his cool
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

In-universe I think the worst are the Kazon ships.
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

Because the Predator resembles a fantastical zepellin, or because the other vessels, look like vintage hearing aids? :P
Enkidu
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Enkidu »

The Go'uld pyramid ships in SG-1 don't do it for me.
But when it comes to interstellar mingers, Starfleet has more than its fair share: The Yeagers, Niagaras and (shudder) the Currys.....
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

I think I might have mentioned this in another thread, but if you've all braced yourselves, here goes:

In the worst sci-fi movie of all time, the Freddie Prinze, Jr.(!) vehicle Wing Commander - which was based on a video game I played way back when my AT&T 386 was SOTA and the NYU VAX VMS relay served as the www - there were these carrier-borne fighters called Rapiers. The design of the Rapier was basically that of a Vought Corsair from WWII with no propeller. Now, if a space fighter is carrier-borne, it launches in and lands in space - YOU DON'T NEED FRIGGIN' WINGS OR A TAIL ASSEMBLY! The pilots were shown being heavily suited, including gloves, but the controls included pushbuttons which I would have trouble handling with bare hands. The pilots were also shown with flip-off oxygen masks, like modern RL fighter pilots...ummm, shouldn't a SPACESHIP refresh the oxygen for the pilot... and if it didn't, why did the pilots remove the mask except during combat? All the displays required the pilot to look down and away from the view around his ship. And, there was a ring of pointless neopn tubes around the nose just for bad effect.

I didn't much like that ship.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

I'll second mikey on this point. That fighter was a horrid design. But I will say that I liked the design of the carrier in the movie. A heavily armored double hull covering the launch ramp. I thought it was a good idea for a movie that was so poorly done. Its a shame since I like many of the actors in the movie.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Yeah, I sort of liked the carrier design, too, as well as the submarine feel it had - especially during the combat sequences.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Varthikes
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Varthikes »

I have to agree with the pyramid ships from Stargate. The Ha'taks are all right. But the ones like the ship Ra used in the original movie...

Looks like something the Borg would come up with.
"What has been done has been done and cannot be undone."--Ruth, All the Weyrs of Pern
"Dragons can't change who they are, and who would want them to? Dragons are powerful, amazing creatures."--Hiccup, Dragons: Riders of Berk
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

The original Enterprise. I dont really like it and by saying this I am probably annoying TOS fans which is always fun.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.