Species of the week: Gorn

The Original Series
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Species of the week: Gorn

Post by Teaos »

A race with almost no canon facts around them but quite a bit of non canon background.

Pretty much giant lizards when we first saw them their appearance was laughable. They were computer generated in Enterprise which I was happy about since it gave them a far better appearance. There technology the size of their space and their intelligence are all pretty much unknowns in canon.

But it is nice to see different evolution lines. Gorn, Cardassian and the Voth are some of the only reptilian species we have seen.

It would have been interesting to throw them into the Dominion war on the side of the Dominion. They sided with the Cardassian due to their similar culture or background.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

i like the fact, that the Gorn in ENT was a slaver, working for the tholians, because it actually told us that the tholians, in at least that universe, used slaves
PTLLS (Tees Achieve), DipHE App Bio (Northumbria), BSc Psychology (Teesside), Comparative Planetology (LJMU), High Energy Astrophysics (LJMU), Mobile Robotics/Physics (Swinburne), Genetics (SAC), Quant Meths (SAC)
https://www.facebook.com/PeterBrayshay
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

The Tholians in the original Galaxy certinly seem capable of having slaves. But since it is supposed to be our universe inverted maybe that means the original universe's Tholians dont.

Does the fact they have a Gorn as a slave mean they rule the Gorn or just have a few prisoners?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

my memory is terrible, but i think they said 'working as a slaver' which might mean, that the gorn, himself is not a slave, perhaps was freelance, although no idea, alot of the races in the alt universes aren't inverted eg klingons and cardassians, so i tend to think, that perhaps the tholians in the 'featured' universe, might use slaves too, hope the new trek film, sheds light on this
PTLLS (Tees Achieve), DipHE App Bio (Northumbria), BSc Psychology (Teesside), Comparative Planetology (LJMU), High Energy Astrophysics (LJMU), Mobile Robotics/Physics (Swinburne), Genetics (SAC), Quant Meths (SAC)
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Well the Tholians and Gorn both like hot temperatues (Although the Tholians more than the Gorn) So I could seem them getting along.

Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

i think that Rocheys' char, should have a slave, tolerated by the federation, unless he asks for asylum, like the hunters and tosk
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I must say that I rather like the Gorn, one of the few races with a bit of uniqueness. Also, its one of the few things ENT did better than TOS.
i think that Rocheys' char, should have a slave, tolerated by the federation, unless he asks for asylum, like the hunters and tosk
:lol:
I can't see that going down too well with the Captain.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Ah, the Gorn... yet another file in the cabinet of "unexplored but potentially interesting Star Trek quasi-ideas."
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Rochey wrote:I must say that I rather like the Gorn, one of the few races with a bit of uniqueness. Also, its one of the few things ENT did better than TOS.
Pfft...the only thing that ENT did better than TOS was nudity. But even that was poorly handled.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

:lol:
True. But you have to admit, the CGI Gorn was far nicer than the ruber-costume Gorn.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

Agreed heartily with Rochey.
But i did like the fact that TOS tried
Captain Peabody
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Captain Peabody »

Ah....the Gorn. Pretty much the only TOS race (along with the Tellarites and Andorians) that aren't just regular humans in tin-foil pants...

True. But you have to admit, the CGI Gorn was far nicer than the ruber-costume Gorn.
Hey! That rubber-costume Gorn was darn scary, and you know it!

I shall be meeerciiiiiful....
"Lo, blessed are our ears for they have heard;
Yea, blessed are our eyes for they have seen:
Let the thunder break on man and beast and bird
And the lightning. It is something to have been."

-The Great Minimum, G.K. Chesterton
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Are Cardasians true reptiles though? They do have hair.

I think intelligent reptiles being limited is a biological fact. Something to do with the way they gather oxygen they aren't able to support larger brains. I forget exactly why but there's a biological factor that limits them.
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

same with insects, that limits their size but sssssh its star trek, play the 'gaim' (B5 reference there)
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Rochey wrote::lol:
No,I prefer the older Gorn. It had a charm about it and felt evil. The CGI Gorn was just like every other CGI prop, shitty. I'd use the word soulless but I'm an athiest.