Google Chrome?

Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Google Chrome?

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

I'd been a Firefox user for years but now that there are popular browsers other than IE that are far faster (both to start up the browser and to render pages) that's no more. My new browser is... see title above. Even on my stupid fast new laptop there's a noticeable lag with Firefox, particularly after a time and with flash-heavy pages loaded. This would be specific to Firefox; the desktop and any other programs running would be as responsive as ever but even on this kind of hardware Firefox can start to become sluggish.

Seems like there's a new round of browser wars on us - Safari and even Opera viable contenders too. Hell, even Microsoft's getting more aggressive after those years of letting IE6 languish!
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Google Chrome?

Post by Deepcrush »

Google Chrome = greatness.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

The only problem I've ever had with Chrome was at first I couldn't figure out how to get updates. Oh, and sometimes it randomly deletes cookies.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by LaughingCheese »

Don't get Chrome, its evil Google spyware!!!

It will induct you into the New World Order!!!!! :worried:
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

stitch626 wrote:Oh, and sometimes it randomly deletes cookies.
Odd, given that they set up their cookie to never expire.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Tyyr wrote:
stitch626 wrote:Oh, and sometimes it randomly deletes cookies.
Odd, given that they set up their cookie to never expire.
I know. I did message their support, so far no solution. But it isn't too much of an inconvenience, since I can remember all my passwords.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Just tried Chrome on Mac (which is still a beta) and it's appealing. It seems very sluggish and doesn't render the menu fonts correctly. I hate the small status bar thing that appears and disapears from the bottom of the screen, the flashing keeps dragging my attention away from the actual content. Every time I click on a link on ditl it clears the target page to blank white before downloading and displaying the requested page, which is a complete waste of time and again very distracting.
email, ergo spam
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

IanKennedy wrote:Just tried Chrome on Mac (which is still a beta) and it's appealing. It seems very sluggish and doesn't render the menu fonts correctly. I hate the small status bar thing that appears and disapears from the bottom of the screen, the flashing keeps dragging my attention away from the actual content. Every time I click on a link on ditl it clears the target page to blank white before downloading and displaying the requested page, which is a complete waste of time and again very distracting.
What they say is that Mac support is lagging far behind when it comes to Chrome development, it's meant to be much better for Windows or even Linux (I'm using it on both and it is quite smooth)
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
thelordharry
Captain
Captain

Post by thelordharry »

I love it and use it almost exclusively (except where I have to use IE for banking sites etc). However, I find the flash plugin often crashes as does the browser. Maybe a few times a day. Being able to use the address bar as either an address bar or search engine field = greatness :)
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and
the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to
know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is
to have succeeded.”
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

thelordharry wrote:I love it and use it almost exclusively (except where I have to use IE for banking sites etc). However, I find the flash plugin often crashes as does the browser. Maybe a few times a day.
This is obviously a new definition of good. :)
Being able to use the address bar as either an address bar or search engine field = greatness :)
Gosh, that was possible in Netscape 4.
email, ergo spam
thelordharry
Captain
Captain

Post by thelordharry »

Oh don't get me wrong, it's by no means perfect (Netscape/Firefox have been around a lot longer!) but as time goes on and all the bugs are sorted, I think it could be a real contender to Firefox. I personally really like it's functionality and the way it is presented, the bookmark syncing and little touches like that.
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and
the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to
know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is
to have succeeded.”
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

I use chrome now. I think it's slightly faster, has so seemed to prove more resiliant to things like redirects and infection, and I really like the efficiency of it's layout, giving me more of the page on screen, which is great for my laptop.

I also like how it manages downloads, showing all of them going at the bottom of the page. It has some other features I could talk about, but I think other browsers have picked most of them up by now.
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by LaughingCheese »

Ok, nevermind my previous comment :lol: , but Google has been criticized by privacy groups.

Although Chrome looks cool I don't trust a browser from Google, especially after the first version of their EULA! WOW! :shock: XD

And I definitely wouldn't use an OS from them.

Am I being unnecessarily paranoid? :lol:
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

Yeah, I think you are LC. As nothing you do leaves your computer except for what would go out anyway. The only things kept on Google's servers are any passwords that you save for gmail or any other google associated program (e.g. YouTube)
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

I'm quite content with the new opera personally.