Demo Old School fight

Trek Books, Games and General chat
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

I want to try the Negh'var. It seems to match my battle style. Or maybe a Dominion battleship. Either would be good.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
JudgeKing
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by JudgeKing »

Deepcrush wrote:I want to try the Negh'var. It seems to match my battle style. Or maybe a Dominion battleship. Either would be good.
I'll decide for you and give you a Dominion Battleship.
There is not a problem in this world that can't be solved without the proper application of a sufficient number of thermonuclear ordnance.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

I love the dominion! :D

Since i'm not using a klingon ship anymore does anyone want it?
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

i have compy and thus netty access, parts of next week,so lets get some beefin' and ass kicking done, i still want a klingon BOP-anything but a k'pak.......
PTLLS (Tees Achieve), DipHE App Bio (Northumbria), BSc Psychology (Teesside), Comparative Planetology (LJMU), High Energy Astrophysics (LJMU), Mobile Robotics/Physics (Swinburne), Genetics (SAC), Quant Meths (SAC)
https://www.facebook.com/PeterBrayshay
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Fine then, you'll have the...... K'pak! Yeah! Thats it! And Rochey can have his Galaxy!
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

i have compy and thus netty access, parts of next week,so lets get some beefin' and ass kicking done, i still want a klingon BOP-anything but a k'pak.......
Great to see you back, Granite. :D
And Rochey can have his Galaxy!
Silar, yeah? :P
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
JudgeKing
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by JudgeKing »

Granitehewer wrote:i have compy and thus netty access, parts of next week,so lets get some beefin' and ass kicking done, i still want a klingon BOP-anything but a k'pak.......
You can have a B'Rel. it's a balanced BoP and is very well rounded...for a Klingon ship.
There is not a problem in this world that can't be solved without the proper application of a sufficient number of thermonuclear ordnance.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Okay, I've worked up a rough system from the bits and pieces I could find of Sunnyside's threads. Here it is:

Turn:
Lasts 3 seconds

Divided into:
Conn
Tac

Conn:
Moving the ship:
Actions require a 7 to succed on 2D6+3, with modifiers.

Modifiers:
+2 for higher combat maneuverability
Damage

7 will get a basic result, a 10 a better result and a 12 better (and occasionally the max). So if you evade a 7 puts a -1 modifier on the opponent a 10 gives a -2 and a 12 gives them a -3 to hit your ship.

Orders:

Evasive: Ship doesn't go anywhere in particular, but attempts to dodge enemy fire by twisting and turning.
Closing/moving away from enemy
Moving into position to target a particular section of the ship

Speed:
Ships speed is deduced by the ships 'Speed' ranking (using DITL stats), X 100, in metres.
EG: an Akira with a speed ranking of 1,203 would be able to move 120, 300 m per turn.

For things that are opposed (one ship trying to get a shot with their photons while the other manoeuvres to stay out of their arc) the person in a higher "score" wins. If it's a tie than the opposed thing is considered doable with a penalty to hit.

You can specify multiple things for your ship to do. But doing more things can mean you don't do any of them well. For example lets say you want to get someone in your torpedo arc and get a shot at their stardrive.If you roll a 7-9 you do the first thing at the basic level, at 10-11 you do both things at a "+1" level so it's easy to beat either.
Eg: An Akira wants to position itself so that it can target the bridge of ship A (in front of it) while at the same time trying to get ship B (behind it) into it's rear torpedo arc. Neither of the enemy ships are attempting to evade. It rolls a 10, allowing it do both.

Tac
Attacking hostile ships, firing weapons, etc.

Targetting:
For tactical targing a section like a nacell or center section of the stardrive section gives -2, while a specific spot (like the bridge) gives -3.

I'll generally tell you what you can hit (such as being able to hit stuff in the front when ships are closing). Once they're at "dogfighting" range and are twisting around each other generally you can hit forward things and side things, but ships are by default assumed to make their warp cores hard to hit. So con should attempt to manuver to get a clear shot if you want to hit that area without an extra -1 or -2 penalty. Ditto for the bridge. So declare your intentions if you specifically wish to target the bridge or WC.

You generally fire by rolling 2d6 (with mods) and need an eight to hit.

Phasers:
Phasers gain a +2 mod to hit, and reduce the targeting penalty by one (so they are good at hitting specific stuff).
Phasers have a max range of 300,000m and suffer an addition -1 penalty for every "weapon range and accuracy" *100 meters. So a Galaxy class ship fireing phasers at a target 230,000m distant would get a -2 modifier.
A phasor hit does it's wattage x3 in damage.

Torps:
Torps can be fired in one of three 'spreads':
tight (-2 to hit but all torps hit the same place )
medium spread (+1 to hit but torps all hit different places on the ship)
wide spred (+3 to hit but only 25% rounded down of the torps hit the ship)
Photon torpedos take the same range penalty mentioned above, but cap the penalty at -2 becuase they are self guiding. Their max range is more like 3,000,000m. However they generally only travel at about 700,000m per three second combat turn. So if you're fireing at distant targets they could hop to warp or attempt to shoot the photons or something. Best to use them a little closer. Also until you are 300,000m from your target photons have fire arcs. Which ships very close to you can avoid with a good 'evasive' con roll.
Photons torps do 80,000TJ of damage each.
Quantum torps do 120,000TJ of damage each.

Ships and damage:

Shields:
The daystrom value in TJ is how much damage a shield can take. The shield is devided into six sections. fore, aft, starboard, port, dorsal and ventral. "shield power" is assumed to distribute evenly every combat turn, but if you can overload a specific section (doing 1/6th of the total sheild damage capacity) in one turn it'll collapse and not regenerate.

The 1/6th value is also used for determining the following.

at 10% random crits can occur if you roll a 12 to hit. Usually not a vital system. This is the "panel blowing" and such we see in the series while the shields are still up.
at 50% random crits occur on a 11. Also 10% of the weapons damage hits the hull in addition to damaging the shield. If you targetd a specific area on the surface of the ship(bridge) and do 50% of the damage of one of the six shields in one hit you score an automatic crit.
at 100% That shield section goes down and all further damage goes straight though.

Hull:
It is devided into 10 sections. (on fed ships usually front, port, starboard, centralm and rear/neck of saucher, forward engineering(deflector dish), central engineering (warp core), rear engineering(usually a shuttlebay or some such), and the two nacelles).

Each section can take sqrt(mass*(1+hull armor))*100+90,000 TJ of damage before being totally destroyed. But it doesn't just go from perfect to destroyed.

at 0-24% destroyed: crits can affect surface systems (stuff you can see on the outside of the ship)
at 25%-49% destroyed: surface systems are disabled or destroyed. Crits affect systems inside on the side facing the attack. Hull breachs have occured. Sick bay will be busy
50% to 75% destoryed: Internal systems facing the attack desabled/destroyed. Major hull breaches, some people sucked out before force fields seal things up. Unless engineering staff is present on the next turn the EPS system here will fail shutting down everything in that section and possibly cutting power to forward sections.
76-99% destroyed. Everything in section disabled or destroyed, hull ripped open, heavy casualties, unless crew is present EPS conduits to other sections fail next turn possibly cutting off their power. The section is just barely hanging on.
100% destroyed. Embers and space junk.

Crits:
Either by a high roll or by targeting something ships systems can get crited. They aren't blown up, but something is wrong and engineering will need to do a quick fix.

Federation crews roll 2d6+1 to fix stuff.

For one turn it's just down.
Next turn it'll work if they roll 10
turn after that 8
after that they just need a 6
multiple crits need to be repaired seperatly and delay the repair process. For example in this battle they started off by critting the bridge three times in a row. I'm not even bothering to roll at this point to fix it.

For where you hit on a ship or what you crit when it's random I kinda just make up odds on what I think you could hit/crit and roll.

Okay, that's pretty much it. Feel free to voice any questions or suggestions, or even come up with your own system.

If anyone's still interested in playing a few battles, I'm more than happy to act as ref (though you'll have to trust me when I say what the dice rolls were!).
Last edited by Sionnach Glic on Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
JudgeKing
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by JudgeKing »

Rochey: Venture Refit Galaxy Class
Granitehewer: D'Tai
Deepcrush: Dominion Battleship
Judgeking: Prometheus Class

Is that everyone?
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I wont be partcipating in this round, I want to try to get a hang of the game mechanics first.

Also, JudgeKing, would you mind picking a different ship? As I really have no idea how I'm going to work the Prommies seperation abilities into this.
JudgeKing
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by JudgeKing »

Well then I won't use Multi Vector Assault Mode that way things stay simple.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Okay then.

Now...where are the others?
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

I'm in! 100%!

GLORY FOR THE DOMINION!
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Nice to have you. :)

Now, just waiting for Granite...
JudgeKing
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by JudgeKing »

I'm still in.