Could Babylon 5's Special Effects have been better with both

SuperSaiyaMan12
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Could Babylon 5's Special Effects have been better with both

Post by SuperSaiyaMan12 »

...models and CGI? I mean, for its time, the CGI was great, but when it goes all the way to the current era? It doesn't hold up well. Conversely, Deep Space Nine and The Next Generation were made around the same time, but they combined both CGI and Models. Would things have held up better with that strategy than just full CGI?
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Could Babylon 5's Special Effects have been better with both

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Maybe.

Some of the shots do look cheesy by modern standards, but I think some of the sequences still look incredible, especially considering the budget constraints. I doubt they even had the money for high-quality models.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

I believe this was one of the shows that used entirely CGI for its cinematic shots, in that vein, I think it was groundbreaking. Not quite up to modern par, but you have to give it credit. 7 years later and Voyager still used models. It looks cheesy now, but it is still great for its pure drama, and the way they were constructed, not for being shiney shiney.
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

The amount of motion in their ships would have made models very difficult. So many of their ships, especially the human ones, rotated. I'm not sure models would have been possible.
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

There's that, and then there's the fact that it was made on a fraction of the budget that TNG and DS9 were. It's debatable whether they could have afforded models of TV quality.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

IIRC they used CGI because they couldn't afford models, or at least enough models to have all the ships we saw. Yeah, it looks bad now but perhaps we'll see a remastered version.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Cpl Kendall wrote:...perhaps we'll see a remastered version.
That would rock!
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

What I'd love to see is a modern remake. Hire better actors (let's face it, they weren't great back then), CGI to rival nBSG, and have everyone follow the original scripts to the very letter. No deviations, just perfect updates of the episodes.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Rochey wrote:...Hire better actors...
IDK, I always liked Garibaldi, Sheridan, Delenn, Londo, G'kar, and Lenier.

A remake could be cool, but I think a special edition with updated effects is about the best we can hope for.
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

Given that all the effects were CGI, how much work would be involved in digging out the old files they used to create the scenes (if they still exist), and simply updating the models?
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Tsukiyumi wrote:IDK, I always liked Garibaldi, Sheridan, Delenn, Londo, G'kar, and Lenier.
Some of them weren't too bad. But let's face it; none of them were really spectacular.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Sheridan always annoyed me. most fo the others were good, Lennier was a little annoying but he was meant to be. Londo, G'Kar, Ivanova, Sinclair and Delenn were all played incredibly well, as was Vir.
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

kostmayer wrote:Given that all the effects were CGI, how much work would be involved in digging out the old files they used to create the scenes (if they still exist), and simply updating the models?
It would be easier to start over I think.
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
Coalition
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Coalition »

Reliant121 wrote:Sheridan always annoyed me.
One sunt that would have been good for Sheridan is that he takes his 'blessing' from Lorienn, and actually believes he is the best thing to happen to the galaxy. Garibaldi was influenced to be paranoid, but he had a point. Sheridan disappears, comes back with Lorien, and everyone hails him and follows him. Garibaldi comes back, and everyone stays suspicious.

Make it where the shades of grey still exist, where you see a good person turn into a fanatic, and where the 'bad guy' is right. Remember Jack the Inquisitor, who questioned Delenn? He learned the costs of excess fanaticism. Remember Morden, who looked so clean and well-dressed and groomed, but represented the Shadows?

Don't turn Sheridan into a perfect leader.
Relativity Calculator
My Nomination for "MVAM Critic Award" (But can it be broken into 3 separate pieces?)
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

That is a good idea.