Demo ship combat

Trek Books, Games and General chat
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Whoops! Sorry Sunnyside. :)

I try and get the torpedoes a good shot at the stardrive section.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Whispers -go for the aft, the aft, lets see her move without impulse hahaha :twisted: -
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Hey, I have no problem if you want to jump in as one of the positions. Send a PM to Sunnyside and see if he minds.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

Oop forgot to roll for them getting their impulse engines back online ..9 not good enough this time (to do a quick crit fix it takes a 10 then a 8 then a 6).

Alright so you outrolled them at the conn. Exactly what happens depends on how much emphasis is on doing one thing or the other. Sounds like equal, which gives you a good shot at the stardrive but just barely a shot with the torps (they pass ever so briefly through your targeting arc).

So you can fire phasers (now at full power again) at stardrive sections, and you can fire torps as well but at -2.

And since this is just demoing the system I figure anybody can jump in. Though I should explain things better. Still it doesn't hurt much. So just jump in I guess.
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

Alright some people have shown interest in joining in so I'll add more of the rules (wish I'd put them all in a text file before the other forum went down).

EDIT: THESE ARE DETAILS YOU DON'T REALLY NEED TO KNOW ALL THIS. though it might help.

Anyway when doing something on the con you'll roll 2d6+3 modified by a number of things. When this fight started out, for example, the Intrepid class was rolling 2d6+5 due to higher combat manuverability and your ship had a -1 penalty. But it's taken some damage so now the ships are both just rolling 2d6+3.

From the things listed above a 7 will get a basic result, a 10 a better result and a 12 better (and occasionally the max). So if you evade a 7 puts a -1 modifier on the opponent a 10 gives a -2 and a 12 gives them a -3 to hit your ship.

For things that are opposed (one ship trying to get a shot with their photons while the other manuvers ot stay out of their arc) the person in a higher "level" wins. If it's a tie than the opposed thing is considered doable with a penalty to hit.

You can specify multiple things for your ship to do. But doing more things can mean you don't do any of them well. For example lets say you want to get someone in your torped arc and get a shot at their stardrive (as Roche did). If you roll a 7-9 you do the first thing at the basic level, at 10-11 you do both things at a "+1" level so it's easy to beat either.

Continuing the above example the Intrepid ship was trying to keep out of Roches photon torpedo arcs. He rolled a 10 I believe doing both "target stardrive" and "get in a shot wiht torpedos" at the +1 level. It rolled a seven which is again a +1 level. So he tied for firing torpedos, and since he was unoposed for getting a clear view of the stardrive for tactical that just happened.

If the Intrepid had rolled an 11 than he wouldn't be able to hit it with torps, but would stil lget to for phasers at the stardrive.

For tactical targing an area like a nacell or center area of the stardrive section gives -2 a specific spot (like the bridge) gives -3 or more.
Last edited by sunnyside on Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

I'll generally tell you what you can hit (such as being able to hit stuff in the front when ships are closing). Once they're at "dogfighting" range and are twisting around each other generally you can hit forward things and side things, but ships are by default assumed to make their warp cores hard to hit. So con should attempt to manuver to get a clear shot if you want to hit that area without an extra -1 or -2 penalty. Ditto for the bridge.

On weapons you generally fire by rolling 2d6+3 and need an eight to hit. Phasers get a +2 on top of that, and reduce the targeting penalty by one (so they are good at hitting specific stuff). Photons have the spread options mentioned earlier.

Phasers have a max range of 300,000m and suffer an addition -1 penalty for every "ships weapon range and accuracy" *100 meters. So a Galaxy class ship fireing phasers at a target 230,000m distant would get a -2 modifier.

Photon torpedos take the same range penalty, but cap the penalty at -2 becuase they are self guiding. Their max range is more like 3,000,000m. However they generally only travel at about 700,000m per three second combat turn. So if you're fireing at distant targets they could hop to warp or attempt to shoot the photons or something. Best to use them a little closer. Also until you are 300,000m from your target photons have fire arcs. Which ships very close to you can avoid with a good con roll.

For a weapon roll example lets say your con got you a decent view of the stardrive section of an enemy ship, and you're at roughly point blank range. Fireing a tight photon torpedo burst gives you -2 and targeting the central stardrive area where the warp core is gives another -2. Barring other modifiers you'd get one roll at 2d6+3-4 to get an 8 to connect. So you'll probably miss. But if their shields are down and you hit that might be all she wrote for the other ship.

Phasers hitting the same area would roll 2d6+3+2(being phasers)-1(reduced targeting penalty). So they'll probably connect.

A phasor hit does it's wattage x3 in damage. Photons torps do 80,000TJ of damage each.

*sigh* this was much better organized before I hope you're following.

Shields. The daystrom value in TJ is how much damage a shield can take. The shield is devided into six sections. fore, aft, starboard, port, dorsal and ventral. "shield power" is assumed to distribute evenly every combat turn, but if you can overload a specific section (doing 1/6th of the total sheild damage capacity) in one turn it'll collapse and not regenerate.

The 1/6th value is also used for determining the following.

at 10% random crits can occur if you roll a 12 to hit. Usually not a vital system. This is the "panel blowing" and such we see in the series while the shields are still up.
at 50% random crits occur on a 11. Also 10% of the weapons damage hits the hull in addition to damaging the shield. If you targetd a specific area on the surface of the ship(bridge) and do 50% of the damage of one of the six shields in one hit you score an automatic crit.
at 100% That shield section goes down and all further damage goes straight though.

For the Hull it is devided into 10 sections. (on fed ships usually front, port, starboard, centralm and rear/neck of saucher, forward engineering(deflector dish), central engineering (warp core), rear engineering(usually a shuttlebay or some such), and the two nacelles).

Each section can take sqrt(mass*(1+hull armor))*100+90,000 TJ of damage before being totally destroyed. But it doesn't just go from perfect to destroyed.

at 0-24% destroyed: crits can affect surface systems (stuff you can see on the outside of the ship)
at 25%-49% destroyed: surface systems are disabled or destroyed. Crits affect systems inside on the side facing the attack. Hull breachs have occured. Sick bay will be busy
50% to 75% destoryed: Internal systems facing the attack desabled/destroyed. Major hull breaches, some people sucked out before force fields seal things up. Unless engineering staff is present on the next turn the EPS system here will fail shutting down everything in that section and possibly cutting power to forward sections.
76-99% destroyed. Everything in section disabled or destroyed, hull ripped open, heavy casualties, unless crew is present EPS conduits to other sections fail next turn possibly cutting off their power. The section is just barely hanging on.
100% destroyed. Embers and space junk.

Crits.
Either by a high roll or by targeting something ships systems can get crited. They aren't blown up, but something is wrong and engineering will need to do a quick fix.

Federation crews roll 2d6+1 to fix stuff.

For one turn it's just down.
Next turn it'll work if they roll 10
turn after that 8
after that they just need a 6
multiple crits need to be repaired seperatly and delay the repair process. For example in this battle they started off by critting the bridge three times in a row. I'm not even bothering to roll at this point to fix it.

For where you hit on a ship or what you crit when it's random I kinda just make up odds on what I think you could hit/crit and roll.

I think that's it.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Seems pretty comprehensive. I can't personaly see anything you missed out, but then I'm hardly an expert on this thing. :)

Anyway.
I fire phasers at their second nacelle (the one still working) and a medium spread of torps' at their stardrive section.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Awsome write up. Our fate is in your hands (dice). :lol:

El capitain deepcrush brings the Lakota to arms against, well who ever it is you want me to shoot at! :lol:

I'd love to get to blow Voy out of the sky! :twisted: I hate that ship so much! :evil: Rochey, mind if I join you or is this a solo dance! :lol:
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

Phasers connect with the Nacel knocking ripping it wide open, leaving chunks of the frame dangling in space (160,000TJ out of 174,000TJ capacity is pretty well trashed. Plus you rolled high enough for a crit. I'll rule that to mean the chunks that are left are seperated from the ship and float out into space.

Photons.
Hurm. The point of a medium spread is that the torps are spread out so your odds of hitting something are higher. I guess you could target something as vauge as the whole stardrive where torps will hit different sections but will at least hit that area first.

So 2d6+3-2(targeting)+1(medium spread)-2(barely get them in sights) and this turn you get a "double tap" with them as they reaload just faster than a combat turn.

The dice like you and four out of eight of the torps hit from the two bursts even with the penalties. That's one hit for forward stardrive, one for central and two for the rear shuttlebay section (pretty much blowing that off with 160,000TJ out of 174,000 TJ capacity).

The other ship gets it's shots as combat is simultanius. Ohh actually both torps and phasers hit. Each getting a crit. Rolling areas.

crits on a nacels warp coils, the sensor dome on the bottom of the saucer (-1 to hit) and a tractor beam in the stardrive(used to keep ramming ships off of you and such).

Repair roll.... they fail to get their other impulse engine going again. so they're dead in the water except for rotating with their thrusters and their warp core is pretty much exposed through the rips in the hull plating. At this point I think everybody woud dive for escape pods.
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

Alright a couple little details of changes for next time.

-I didn't write it down but before I used combat manuverability of one ship divided by the other to give conn bonuses. But the results in almost no difference between ships with higher values i.e. 5000 CM vs 9,000CM when those ships are supposed to be rather different. So how about a modifier for every thousand points difference? (so instead of nothing in the above example the 5000CM ship would roll 2d6+1 and the 9,0000CM ship would roll 2d6+5)

-federation ships that use multiple phaser banks instead of a big wrap around bank fire three phaser shots a turn instead of one big one(representing the different banks fireing). So they do the same total damage output, but can't crit big ships as easily, though they'd be better against multiple smaller targets.

-unlike other things I think angling to keep other ships should be easier and so in ties the angling ship wins, and evne if beaten by one they can at least roll their frame to take hits on say a nacelle instead of their stardrive since it's so easy to rotate the ship. Note that angling in no way prevents you from being hit and doesn't help you out in any other way than causing you to lose a nacel or something like that instead of a warp core.

Anything else?
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

How do you determine postion?
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

If not lets try a new battle with you guys against each other. That'll be sure to get people complaining about any problems in the system. :)

I'll start a new thread for that. You can post complaints and critiques here.

Deepcrush will have his Lakota, a vicious and manuverable ship with pulse quantum torpedo launchers (which do 216,000TJ of damage compared to 80,000TJ)

For a hopefully interesting matchup I'll put Rochey in an Upgraded Galaxy class ship. A big hulking thing with twice the shields and mass of the Lakota and a high power wrap around phaser bank for smacking other ships upside the head with crits.

Of course don't take things too seriously you guys. While strategy is important there is no shortage of luck. And getting through the others shields early could easily result in what looks like a lopsided victory.

Oh a comment on the "double tap" a combat turn is considered to be three seconds long. A number of tub types reload faster than that and so every so often in the battle will fire twice in a single turn.

These ships however have tubes that spew out a lot of munitions and then take a while to reload. Both will actually occasionaly not fire any tubes in a turn. I'll warn you ahead of time on that.

Anyway I'll start the new thread with more details. If you don't want to do that post here with what you might like to try.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Greatness, i'll see you there.
DarkOmen
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by DarkOmen »

sunnyside wrote: Deepcrush will have his Lakota, a vicious and manuverable ship with pulse quantum torpedo launchers (which do 216,000TJ of damage compared to 80,000TJ)
Remeber though, the QTs are alot less manuverable than PTs... that should be taken into account.
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

DarkOmen wrote:
Remeber though, the QTs are alot less manuverable than PTs... that should be taken into account.
Is that really super solid cannon? I don't remember that. As a general rule I'm trying to keep this simple and avoid elaborations whenever possible (and stick to whever DITL has written to avoid endless fan arguments on details).