What's the most improbable aspect of the Trek universe?

The Next Generation
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: What's the most improbable aspect of the Trek universe?

Post by Mikey »

Mark wrote:Falling debris or a hole in the bridge is a messy way to kill off the bridge crew. A handy exploding panel is much nicer.
So, they're like seppuku panels?
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
thelordharry
Captain
Captain

Post by thelordharry »

The 'sensors' and 'scanners' of Trek always seem a bit far fetched to me (I feel stupid for saying that, what with Warp Drive, Matter Teleportation, solid matter Holodecks etc but go with me on this one ;)) Being able to scan for stuff impossible distances away and getting an accurate reading, down to how many lifeforms on a far-away planet? The Tri-corders are another cracker. This little box that somehow scans things and can instantly tell you everything you could possibly know about any situation.

On the subject of tri-corders, wasn't there a VOY episode where Chakotay is fiddling with a tri-corder that's broken or he's trying to calibrate it and someone says something to him about how it works? Might have dreamt it...:) Any canon on how they work?
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and
the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to
know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is
to have succeeded.”
steamrunner
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by steamrunner »

Thanks, Rochey - I really appreciate it!

The Memory Alpha article on the Universal Translator is here.
"If? If my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle..."
The piman
Chief petty officer
Chief petty officer

Post by The piman »

another thing are those healer gadgets the doctors use to pretty much heal a smaller sized wound by just moving the beam of the gadget over the wound. ??? :confused:
Be excellent to one another...
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Sure....they're beaming the wound closed. :wink:
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Maybe not beaming but...could it be possible to replicate human tissue?
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Reliant121 wrote:...could it be possible to replicate human tissue?
Considering their inability to replicate blood, I'd have to say it's unlikely.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Tsukiyumi wrote:
Could it be some sort of Magic Field which stimulates cell growth? That's kind of what I assumed
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

It's been said before that you can't replicate living organisms, and that includes bacteria, etc. There was even an Enterprise ep where Mayweather was replaced with a replicated identical body as a ruse to kidnap him, and Phlox twigged to it because some "friendly bacteria" thing he'd injected a few days earlier were all lifeless in the replicated body.

Whether it's a fundamental limitation or something they will overcome eventually, who can say. I can't see writers anytime soon depicting a society that can duplicate living people at the touch of a button. Too big a can of worms.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

GrahamKennedy wrote:It's been said before that you can't replicate living organisms, and that includes bacteria, etc. There was even an Enterprise ep where Mayweather was replaced with a replicated identical body as a ruse to kidnap him, and Phlox twigged to it because some "friendly bacteria" thing he'd injected a few days earlier were all lifeless in the replicated body.

Whether it's a fundamental limitation or something they will overcome eventually, who can say. I can't see writers anytime soon depicting a society that can duplicate living people at the touch of a button. Too big a can of worms.
If they can't duplicate people, then what exactly is Thomas Riker doing wandering around breathing?
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Captain Seafort wrote:
GrahamKennedy wrote:It's been said before that you can't replicate living organisms, and that includes bacteria, etc. There was even an Enterprise ep where Mayweather was replaced with a replicated identical body as a ruse to kidnap him, and Phlox twigged to it because some "friendly bacteria" thing he'd injected a few days earlier were all lifeless in the replicated body.

If they can't duplicate people, then what exactly is Thomas Riker doing wandering around breathing?
:Q
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Riker was a freak accident caused by the conditions on the planet, and not replicatable by Federation technology. And he was duplicated with a transporter, not a replicator. According to the TMs, the thing that stops replicators creating living stuff is that they operate on a lower "resolution" when putting it all back together, so you get atoms not where they are meant to be. Doesn't matter much if you are creating a phaser or a steak, does if you are creating a person.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Captain Seafort wrote:

The transporter is the key to everything :wink:
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Sonic Glitch wrote:
Tsukiyumi wrote:
Could it be some sort of Magic Field which stimulates cell growth? That's kind of what I assumed
Kinda what I thought, too - some way to hyperstimulate mitosis.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

It could be that the UFP's limitation is that it can't intentionally replicate human tissue. Thus things like Thomas Riker are once-off anomalies, caused by conditions that were unexpected and difficult (or perhaps impossible) to reproduce.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"