Were the Jedi justified in removing Palpatine?

Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Were the Jedi justified in removing Palpatine?

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I don't think so. People'd kinda notice that Jedi are suddenly being shot on sight.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
USSEnterprise
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by USSEnterprise »

That.. and how will he form his empire when the senators arn't worried about a jedi uprising. Even if he declared martial law, there is no way he could have mantained anything resembling order.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Rochey wrote:I don't think so. People'd kinda notice that Jedi are suddenly being shot on sight.
But who though? If you go with the 10k number and even only half of them are fighting in the war that leaves only 5k in the entire damn galaxy that people might notice are getting shot. Be a little subtle about it and a few people might ask, "Hey, where's that one Jedi?"

"Off on a secret mission against the Sepertists," or "On a diplomatic mission to some Outer Rim shithole."
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Presumably the janitors at the Temple might notice. :P
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

If you can't make janitor disappear why even bother being Emperor? :wink:
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Ah, but then his family notices. :wink:
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

*waves hand* Your husband isn't missing, you never hand a husband, continue with your life.

This is the same bloke who hid a Star Dreadnought underneath Coruscant. Compared with that, concealing the disappearance of the Jedi Order would be trivial.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

The Jedi were known, loved and feared across the galaxy. This "they could disappear and no one would notice" bullshit is just that, bullshit. The Palpatine needed a reason to get rid of them. Thats why he waited so long to use Order 66. He could have ended the war at any time he wanted. All that counts for that is his waiting for the right time.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

In a galaxy of 20 to 50 million inhabited planets and only something like 10,000 Jedi how would anyone notice? One Jedi for every 2,000 to 5,000 worlds and you're telling me people would actually notice the absence of Jedi? Sure, some higher ups in the government might notice but the rank and file have probably never even seen a Jedi.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

So then even the little slave boy from hicktownnowhere knows who they are plus all their loyal supporters... how do you plan on dealing with all of that? Even after the Jedi Purge people still knew, respected and followed the Jedi.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Tyyr wrote:In a galaxy of 20 to 50 million inhabited planets and only something like 10,000 Jedi how would anyone notice? One Jedi for every 2,000 to 5,000 worlds and you're telling me people would actually notice the absence of Jedi? Sure, some higher ups in the government might notice but the rank and file have probably never even seen a Jedi.

While your average citizen may not notice the local Jedi missing, as a whole the order was a shining idol that you can't quite just slowly eradicate in secret. People are bound to talk about how "There just don't seem to be enough Jedi anymore".

So, in the end.......the Jedi could have actually foiled Palpatine by acting INSIDE the law rather than above it. Irony at it's finest.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

You know I never really thought much about this but I think the side that is saying they didn't have authority is right. They kind of jumped ahead a few steps.
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Legally they probably werent allowed, but you can hardly blaim them...
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Yes you can. If you spout off about your love of democracy and using the system and all that if you suddenly dump it all in the name of expediency expect to be called on it.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Tyyr wrote:Yes you can. If you spout off about your love of democracy and using the system and all that if you suddenly dump it all in the name of expediency expect to be called on it.
Agreed fully.