Build your own Star Wars Navy.

Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Build your own Star Wars Navy.

Post by Captain Seafort »

Fair enough:

Dreadnought: Executor class. They'd be very rare: probably only hundreds, used as flagships for oversector, regional, and other strategic fleets

Battleship: dunno. We haven't seen anything that would properly fit this role, other than perhaps some of the ESB concept art, or Giel's flagship. I'd imagine something 10-12km long, much closer to the ISDesque wedge-form than the Ex. They'd be flagships of smaller fleets, and for the Imperial Navy's main line of battle. Again, concentrated in strategic rather than sector fleets. Numbers: low tens of thousands.

Heavy Cruiser: Either the hunchback design, or build the five-mile "Super-class" ship that was used to mask Executor's construction. Maybe one or two for the important sectors, but most of them would still be in the strategic forces. Numbers: hundreds of thousands.

Light cruiser: Allegiance-type. They're be present in the strategic forces, but these would be the largest ships routinely seen at sector level - maybe three or four per sector. Basically something the average sector governor would send if if they really wanted to scare the shit out of a system that was getting too big for its boots, or if pirates managed to get their hands on a decent-sized warship (an Invincible maybe). Numbers: millions

Fleet destroyer: Tector-class. These things are built for fleet combat: heavily armed, heavily armoured. Half-a-dozen or so per sector group, but most of them would be in the strategic forces. Numbers: 10-20 million.

Counterinsurgency platform: Imperator-class. It's got the firepower, troops and starfighters to deal with most potential problems. Twenty-five to a standard sector group, up to thirty-eight for reinforced groups, plus those assigned to strategic forces. Numbers: 50-60 million.

Minor forces: Carracks, Dreadnoughts, Vindicators, VicStars, etc. Hundreds of millions of them, assigned at sub-sector level to deal with the local riff-raff. They can't deal with proper warships, but they can do police duty and the like, and free up the heavier ships for more serious problems.

Total forces: I'd say about 100 million proper warships, plus extras, about half a billion all told.

Assuming the ISD works out as the average, The total volume of the fleet would be about 27.5 quadrillion cubic metres. Less than a quarter of the volume of the DSII. A bit minimalist, I know, but it's the best I could come up with at short notice.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
SuperSaiyaMan12
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by SuperSaiyaMan12 »

Where is the source of the retcon? When was it said in canon that a ship had to be over 1000 meters to be classified as a cruiser?
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Deepcrush wrote: The ship may exist but its title and design are still quasi-canon.
Anything said about it in the game is canon. Low-level canon, but canon nonetheless.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

SuperSaiyaMan12 wrote:Where is the source of the retcon? When was it said in canon that a ship had to be over 1000 meters to be classified as a cruiser?
The prequel trilogy was the reconn. While the sizes weren't said, they give us the titles of ships and their brackets and their sizes. Its not hard to figure out with everything they gave us.
Rochey wrote:
Deepcrush wrote: The ship may exist but its title and design are still quasi-canon.
Anything said about it in the game is canon. Low-level canon, but canon nonetheless.
Thats what I said. :poke:
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
SuperSaiyaMan12
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Deepcrush wrote:
SuperSaiyaMan12 wrote:Where is the source of the retcon? When was it said in canon that a ship had to be over 1000 meters to be classified as a cruiser?
The prequel trilogy was the reconn. While the sizes weren't said, they give us the titles of ships and their brackets and their sizes. Its not hard to figure out with everything they gave us.
Still don't see it. From what it looks like, even in the Prequel Trilogy, there was no retcon of size.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Well, you need to do some reading then. You've missed a lot.
SuperSaiyaMan12
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Deepcrush wrote:Well, you need to do some reading then. You've missed a lot.
If its anything but Saxon's version of the ICS, I'll try to check it out.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Starwars.com/databank

Covers most of it. The rest has been batted between me and Seafort in several other threads.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

SuperSaiyaMan12 wrote:If its anything but Saxon's version of the ICS, I'll try to check it out.
You should check out the AotC and RotS ICS as well - they're among the best of the EU.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Aye, though unfortunately they've nothing to say on ship types.

Though on his site he has various Imperial ships arranged in order of clasification.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Just looked the site over... Nice bit of detail but its brackets are off.
SuperSaiyaMan12
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Captain Seafort wrote:
SuperSaiyaMan12 wrote:If its anything but Saxon's version of the ICS, I'll try to check it out.
You should check out the AotC and RotS ICS as well - they're among the best of the EU.
I don't think so. Remember what I said when I first joined? I didn't buy the AOTC ICS calcs? And that I'm an opponent of StarDestroyer.net?
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Well, start at Starwars.com and work your way out. From there out you can decide what you like or don't like.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

So what's your problem with the ICS calcs?
You're aware the numerous people reached similar weapons/speed/etc stats before the book even came out, based on prior events in the series, yes?
SuperSaiyaMan12
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Rochey wrote:So what's your problem with the ICS calcs?
You're aware the numerous people reached similar weapons/speed/etc stats before the book even came out, based on prior events in the series, yes?
My problem is they are too high. Specifically the FIrepower stats. 200 Gigatons for a single Turbolaser bolt?