Build your own Star Wars Navy.

SuperSaiyaMan12
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: Build your own Star Wars Navy.

Post by SuperSaiyaMan12 »

Deepcrush wrote:Nope, from the Clone Wars on... 1200m was the starting point for Cruisers, and ending around 4000m/5000m which becomes SSD or Battlecruiser/Battleship/Dreadnought.
Really? I could swear 600 meters was the start for being a cruiser. Given that the Imperials gave us the 600 meter Vindicator-class Heavy Cruiser.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

SuperSaiyaMan12 wrote:
Deepcrush wrote:Nope, from the Clone Wars on... 1200m was the starting point for Cruisers, and ending around 4000m/5000m which becomes SSD or Battlecruiser/Battleship/Dreadnought.
Really? I could swear 600 meters was the start for being a cruiser. Given that the Imperials gave us the 600 meter Vindicator-class Heavy Cruiser.
Is it even a canon class?
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Deepcrush wrote:
SuperSaiyaMan12 wrote:
Its the precursor to the Victory class as I recall (correctly?).
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
SuperSaiyaMan12
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Monroe wrote:
Deepcrush wrote: Really? I could swear 600 meters was the start for being a cruiser. Given that the Imperials gave us the 600 meter Vindicator-class Heavy Cruiser.
Its the precursor to the Victory class as I recall (correctly?).[/quote]
Yes, its canon. Its also the hull base for the Imperial Interditor-class Cruiser.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

I looked but I couldn't find a canon source for it.

The precursor to the Victory SD was the Venator I thought.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

The ship is quasi-canon, not canon... plus it predates the reconn of the GAR.
SuperSaiyaMan12
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Cruiser
In at least one classification system, cruisers could be divided into three categories: light, medium and heavy. The light cruisers were at the lower end of the cruiser interval, around 350-400 meters, medium cruisers between 400 and 500 meters, and heavy cruisers 600 meters and beyond. The alternate designation of battle cruiser was also used for some ships in the same size brackets.[8]
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Vindicat ... vy_cruiser
It was intended for use in situations in which Imperial-class Star Destroyers were unavailable, and smaller ships were not powerful enough. The ship was manufactured by Sienar Fleet Systems

The Immobilizer 418 cruiser was designed using the same basic hull as the Vindicator. In addition to manufacturing new Immobilizer 418s, the Empire converted a number of Vindicators into Interdictor cruisers. The Vindicator's hull was used again to build the Enforcer-class picket cruiser, a patrol ship used by the Pentastar Alignment.
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Cruiser
The term was sometimes used to describe spacecraft in general, and in this context, it was sometimes written lowercase as star cruiser,[2][3] but it could also be used to specify large military capital ships,[4] and was used as designation for certain Mon Calamari warships.[5]

The famous Mon Calamari Star Cruisers were the main capital ships of the Rebel Alliance and the New Republic. Many of these Star Cruisers were around 1200m, such as the iconic Liberty-type MC80 Star Cruiser,[5] but the term could also apply to the 500m Kuari Princess, and to larger Mon Cal ships, like the Home One.[6]

The lowercase term "star cruiser" was also applied to Imperial Navy warships, where it was used as an alternate designation for Star Destroyers.[7] It was apparantly used as a synonym for the standard cruiser designation, which referred to all combat warships above approximately 400m in length, as the Strike-class medium cruiser was also referred to in this manner.[6]

Some ships described with the upper-case Star Cruiser were bigger than standard Star Destroyer designs, and were large enough to be thought of as Super Star Destroyers. They were treated as a separate Imperial warship class from both Star Destroyers and Star Dreadnoughts.[8][9]
Wrong on both counts, Deep.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

SuperSaiyaMan12 wrote:Wrong on both counts, Deep.
Nope, I wasn't. You're quoting from a non canon source SSM. It doesn't really matter so much in this thread but it will in others. Wookieepedia is not a canon site. It is a wiki and often goes directly against SW canon.

Seafort and I have bashed this topic out on other threads already.
Coalition
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Coalition »

Monroe wrote:
Coalition wrote:World Devastators.
So are World Devastators going to be your fleet or your resource acquisition? I can understand the later once they become available but sending Devastators into battle is a bad decision IMO.
Both. If the defending fleet looks too strong, I'll use replicating World Devastators to build up a stronger navy. If the defending fleet looks weaker than me, I'll strike.

Computer simulations to determine which is which, of course.

Even though a WD is little more than a glorified factory, unless the enemy is using 360 degree interdictors that are operating 24/7, I can send a probe droid in, and plot arrival coordinates to put my WD within eating range of the enemy fleet. Each WD is assigned a target (with larger targets getting more WD), and they will chow down.

If I need to do planetary aid, the inherent factory capability alows me to rapidly repair planetary infrastructure.
Relativity Calculator
My Nomination for "MVAM Critic Award" (But can it be broken into 3 separate pieces?)
SuperSaiyaMan12
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Deepcrush wrote:
Nope, I wasn't. You're quoting from a non canon source SSM. It doesn't really matter so much in this thread but it will in others. Wookieepedia is not a canon site. It is a wiki and often goes directly against SW canon.

Uh, they GIVE sources to where the information comes from. When does it go directly against Star Wars canon (which is impossible since all articles have to be based on canon and non-canon information).
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

SuperSaiyaMan12 wrote:
Deepcrush wrote:

Uh, they GIVE sources to where the information comes from. When does it go directly against Star Wars canon (which is impossible since all articles have to be based on canon and non-canon information).
Then YOU give the source of the canon information not just a wiki. Wiki's are reference, not a source.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

It's from Mysteries of the Sith, a game, and semi-sequal to Jedi Knight. Game plot lines are canon. Ergo, the ship itself is canon.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

A bit late, but worth answering I think.
Deepcrush wrote:I'll take this much like the 3 million man galactic army... Somethings will never make sense.
What doesn't make sense about it? It simply demonstrates the scale were talking about - the company was considered pathetically small, and yet it could easilly transport the material required to construct a 500-mile wide starship.
Captain Seafort wrote:RotJ states that Bothans died acquiring the information about the Death Star, and novels trump games in the canon hierarchy.
Novel beats game but Film beats novel plus the game supports the film and has been named canon by Starwars TM. That means conflicting sources but two canon, the other is quasi-canon.
Where's the conflict? The film states that Bothans died gaining the information. The novel shows a Bothan Y-Wing squadron capturing the Surprisa, and the information, and suffering heavy casualties in the battle.
Captain Seafort wrote:In ANH it was stated that the plans were captured during the rebels' first victory over the Empire. No mention was made of the circumstances.
Vader stated that they were stolen by rebel spies. I believe him.
Fair enough - unify the two explanations (both of which are G-canon). The battle was cover for the spies to get in and acquire the plans.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Captain Seafort wrote:Fair enough - unify the two explanations (both of which are G-canon). The battle was cover for the spies to get in and acquire the plans.
This works for me.
Captain Seafort wrote:What doesn't make sense about it? It simply demonstrates the scale were talking about - the company was considered pathetically small, and yet it could easilly transport the material required to construct a 500-mile wide starship
I'm just saying it feels weird calling it a small company.
Rochey wrote:It's from Mysteries of the Sith, a game, and semi-sequal to Jedi Knight. Game plot lines are canon. Ergo, the ship itself is canon.
The ship may exist but its title and design are still quasi-canon. Same with all ships and weapons from the video games. SSM was asking if it was really a heavy cruiser. It isn't. He can use it as such, but he'll be badly out gunned in the Heavy Cruiser bracket as the Vindicator has less firepower then the Victory class destroyer.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

I have to admit I'm shocked I haven't seen anything from Seafort. I would have thought this the chance to show your vision of the 'proper' SW fleet. Even better so with the canon restrictions relaxed as they are by the OP.