Testing please

Discuss the site here - suggestions, comments, complaints, etc.
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Testing please

Post by IanKennedy »

stitch626 wrote:Tested on my Linux machine. A good amount faster. But the text is huge (though in my case, its because I don't have Impact and I'm using Firefox 2.0.0.11).
OK, that's to be expected then. However, I need to do something to take account of it. What fonts do you have installed?
email, ergo spam
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

OK, Linux users. I've adjusted the font used on that system to Vemana2000 (which is standard on Umbuntu) that seems to solve the button problem. Has it fixed it for you stitch?
email, ergo spam
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

PC with Windows XP, using IE 7.0 without the font. The load speed is gorgeous, but the default block characters aren't too pretty IMO (though they fit the buttons.)

Tried the iPod-optimized site on my VZW LG Dare; worked quickly... but is it supposed to be the non-LCARS-looking thing with the simple vertical-scroll menu? If so, then it worked save one thing - the sub-menus weren't populated. If, for example, I went to "recreation," the buttons under that heading had no titles even though they still linked to wherever they were supposed to go.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Mikey wrote:PC with Windows XP, using IE 7.0 without the font. The load speed is gorgeous, but the default block characters aren't too pretty IMO (though they fit the buttons.)
I'm not too worried about the look of it using these fonts. So long as the text fits the buttons that all that matters for the moment. The reason I'm not worried about this is that each web browser has a way of downloading a font to go with the page. This will allow us to make the site look just about perfect. Currently this is not working for IE, but I'm still working on that. The Safari version in working completely and Firefox is working if you use the new version 3.5 that's out soon. So what I'm aiming at is to make it work well enough in the older browsers for it to be usable, and then for those with newer browsers for it to be just as good as it is now. If you download the font available on the site home page then you will get the effect you will get when the automatic font downloading is working fully.

Just a little note on the font downloading. This does not download fonts and install them on your system for use by other applications. It simply downloads them and allows the web browser to display text in that font. It is thus save to use and completely transparent to the end user.
Tried the iPod-optimized site on my VZW LG Dare; worked quickly... but is it supposed to be the non-LCARS-looking thing with the simple vertical-scroll menu? If so, then it worked save one thing - the sub-menus weren't populated. If, for example, I went to "recreation," the buttons under that heading had no titles even though they still linked to wherever they were supposed to go.
Yes, this is meant to be a non-lcars version of the site. It provides a list of sections (equivilent of the top strip in the LCARS interface). When clicked you go to the menu for that section again as a simple list as the main menu was. Clicking a line on that takes you to the page for that item. You use the back button to navigate between menus. That said you don't have to use that system on the iPhone / mobile web browsers. I would be interested in knowing what the standard site looks like on these devices.
email, ergo spam
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Mikey wrote:PC with Windows XP, using IE 7.0 without the font. The load speed is gorgeous, but the default block characters aren't too pretty IMO (though they fit the buttons.)
One more thought on this. Have you enabled cleartype on your machine? I suspect not. It will make a dramatic improvement to the way fonts look on your system, especially at small sizes. You can turn it on by:
  • - Right clicking on your desktop and select properties.
    - Click the appearance tab.
    - Click the effects button.
    - Select ClearType from the second drop down menu.
    - Click the OK button.
    - Click the OK button on the first dialog.
Now try looking at the site again, it should be dramatically better.
email, ergo spam
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

When I use ditl standard site on my itouch the text is to big in the buttons and the header on the main page is to big, in the past it was always fine. I'm using first gen itouch with 2.0 upgrade.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Teaos wrote:When I use ditl standard site on my itouch the text is to big in the buttons and the header on the main page is to big, in the past it was always fine. I'm using first gen itouch with 2.0 upgrade.
Try reloading the page. Although, I suspect that the recent changes may have affected the way it's working. I can tweak the system to take account of that.
email, ergo spam
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

IanKennedy wrote:
One more thought on this. Have you enabled cleartype on your machine? I suspect not. It will make a dramatic improvement to the way fonts look on your system, especially at small sizes. You can turn it on by:
    - Click the OK button.
Still not thrilled with the font, but as you said this is merely a test. It's certainly clearer, but now some of the titles don't fit the buttons. :lol:
IanKennedy wrote:Yes, this is meant to be a non-lcars version of the site. It provides a list of sections (equivilent of the top strip in the LCARS interface). When clicked you go to the menu for that section again as a simple list as the main menu was. Clicking a line on that takes you to the page for that item. You use the back button to navigate between menus. That said you don't have to use that system on the iPhone / mobile web browsers. I would be interested in knowing what the standard site looks like on these devices.
Yeah, I don't mind mobile-optimized sites; but after the first page, the titles were missing from the menu buttons.
I would be interested in knowing what the standard site looks like on these devices.
"404 not found." :bangwall:
as Bull offed Custer
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Mikey wrote:
IanKennedy wrote:
    - Click the OK button.
Still not thrilled with the font, but as you said this is merely a test. It's certainly clearer, but now some of the titles don't fit the buttons. :lol:
IanKennedy wrote:Yes, this is meant to be a non-lcars version of the site. It provides a list of sections (equivilent of the top strip in the LCARS interface). When clicked you go to the menu for that section again as a simple list as the main menu was. Clicking a line on that takes you to the page for that item. You use the back button to navigate between menus. That said you don't have to use that system on the iPhone / mobile web browsers. I would be interested in knowing what the standard site looks like on these devices.
Yeah, I don't mind mobile-optimized sites; but after the first page, the titles were missing from the menu buttons.
I would be interested in knowing what the standard site looks like on these devices.
"404 not found." :bangwall:
Try again with the correct name. http://www.ditl.org/indextext.php, that's indextext not indextest.
email, ergo spam
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Dear Lord, Ian's a witch! :lol:

:oops: There it is. But just like always, I can't get the full frame to load.
as Bull offed Custer
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Mikey wrote:Dear Lord, Ian's a witch! :lol:

:oops: There it is. But just like always, I can't get the full frame to load.
Is that a phone limitation or something wrong with the site I wonder?
email, ergo spam
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Dunno. But I could never see the far right of the main page ("forum" button etc.) and had no option to expand it.
as Bull offed Custer
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Sounds like the web browser as a finite screen resolution and no ability to scale or scroll the viewport. Like using a screen with 800x600 resolution.
email, ergo spam
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Something like that.
as Bull offed Custer
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

OK, I've now got font downloading working with IE so you should see a dramatic improvement on this browser. That means that both IE, Safari and the next version of Firefox will all download the font as required.
email, ergo spam