V'GER

Voyager

Why the borg don't realised that when V'GER made Contact?

The borg were still in development
63%
Imperfection
13%
A totally screwd logic. Logic dictates this is irrelevent.
13%
Regeneration Episode, Borg Sphere sent signal to Delta Quadrent
13%

Total votes: 8
Voyager
Petty officer third class

V'GER

Post by Voyager »

I was thinking that the borg is far from perfect and perfection isn't assimilation... So far not all borgs have their own will thus, they are imperfection and i think the borg is aiming the immposible... Perfection...
Only Omega is perfect. They evolved from V'GER, Human's or Starfleet's Probe, and the borg are trying to find thier owner... Back in first contact, it looks like perfection has brought the borg to hopelessness. Their Creators, Is us and they've almost turned the world upside down...

Quote: Diplomacy. Janeway's Answer to everything. /imposter Janeway.
DBS
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by DBS »

I don't think it is absolutely canon that the Borg created the upgraded V'Ger. If I remember correctly, it was an offhand comment by Gene Roddenberry, which was picked up on in a William Shatner novel.

That is good enough for me, and I think it makes sense, but I could see why other writers wouldn't go with it.
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Jean-Luc Picard, quoting judge Aaron Satie
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

:?
I always thought V'Ger came from outside the galaxy. I have no idea where it comes from but I thought I recalled someone saying something to that effect.
*Shrug*
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Space Ghost
Master chief petty officer
Master chief petty officer

Post by Space Ghost »

I don't know, maybe they would have found out if they had flown around it a bit more in TMP... it wasn't quite long enough. ;)
"Are you considering the strategy I'm considering?"
"The cliché is 'Are you thinking what I'm thinking?' And yes, I am."
Voyager

Post by Voyager »

Inside StarTrek Legacy it says it all, And in the Motion Picture, where it found it's creator in NASA thingy...
DBS
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by DBS »

Star Trek Legacy? a book/compiliation I missed? :shock:

If there is any more canon (or even speculation) on V'Ger, I'd love to find out about it. That was a really neat concept, and I wish they would flesh it out more.
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

If they did up grade it maybe it got some independence of its own. It no longer answered to the collective and thus had no reason to contact them.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Good point, but from what we've seen of V'Ger it seems (in my opinion anyway) to be beyond the borgs technology. Didn't V'Ger "digitize" galaxies? I have yet to hear of the borg doing that.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Crushproof
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Crushproof »

DBS wrote:Star Trek Legacy? a book/compiliation I missed? :shock:
XBox 360 and PC game. I still think Encounters on PS2 is better though.
"It is the way of all Empires, old Comrade, to fall prey to the next" ~Mirror Chekov
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

That can be explaned by the fact that it is like a human. It wants more knowledge just for the hell of it. For the pure thrill of learning something new.

The borg don't have this. They only get new knowledge when it falls into their laps. V'ger searched for new knowledge on its own thus quickly evolved far faster than the borg.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I suppose that's a good theory.
Do we have any evidence that links V'Ger to the borg? Its just that I've never seen any. :?
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

It was in at least one book.

Thats not canon but enough to plant the idea in fans and to be treated as canon unless contradicted in a series which then takes canon.

Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Oh, ok then. I still don't like the idea of it being borg, still...
*shrug*
DBS
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by DBS »

I think that we might have to accept that the Borg were not always hostile or like they are now. Maybe they joined with something that made them more unpleasant after the 21st century?

I agree that the combination of Borg technology (until this is contradicted by canon...) and Voyager's programming to learn everything possible combined to create something far more than either on their own.

By the way, it has been speculated (I think here) that the Borg might have originated as a joining of two distinct races, one biological and one mechanical. Maybe the machine planet was actually the one that upgraded V'Ger before joining and becoming the Borg proper?

Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Thats a good idea.
I would certainly explain some things.