Sagittarius Class

Showcase your own starship and weapon designs or other creative artwork
DarkOmen
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Sagittarius Class

Post by DarkOmen »

My latest ship design. It is intended to be a mid-sized Tactical Cruiser for military support missions. It will be well armed and armoured. I have not worked out final specifications for it yet; if you have ideas/ suggestions please tell me :)

The quote is regarding the Battle of Thermompylae, the ships namesake.

The class name is also a hearken to the military nature of the ship as sagittarius is considered the god of war in some cultures.

comments please!!
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Really need more before I can say to much. I see that you've gone for a 90 degree spin sauser with bucks the lattest trend. Is there a reason its that way around?

Also its to small to be a proper cruiser. Its more or less the same size as an intrepid.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
DarkOmen
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by DarkOmen »

I'm not really sure why i went for the latitudinaly oblong saucer... i just start with an idea in my head and draw the ship. i come up with the era, size, stats later.... thats why i post them here to, so you guys can help me out lol

How 'bout Light Destroyer for a classification?

EDIT: i'm planning on doing a TOS era ship next... ideas for names/class/mission/specs?
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

I would call it a light tactical cruiser. Two phaser strips on top and on bottom of the saucer. Put them along the sides and roll towards the front, think galaxy with the phaser spilt in the middle. Put a pair of burst fire PTL's in the split, one facing forward and up, the other forward and down. One aft burst fire PTL and two aft phasers. All phaser type X. Good armor and shields, very fast, maybe make her a little bit bigger. Say 450 meters and you can have you heavy cruiser status and then maybe add some more weapons on to her. PTLs on the port and starboard sauser and what ever else you can think of. I love the like and feel of it. Beautiful ship.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
DarkOmen
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by DarkOmen »

thank you for the ideas!

heres what i was thinking for weapons:

1 "main" phaser array that runs the length of the outer edge of the saucer, so you have the huge attackable "killzone" arc at the front of the ship.

2 smaller arrays dorsal and ventral of the saucer
1 more phaser array on the weapon strut (the "spoiler" looking thing)
2 Pulse Phasers, forward facing on the weapon strut

2 Rapid Fire PTL on the strut
2 Standard PTL on the secondary forwar facing
1 Standard QTL on the secondary forward facing
1 standard PTL rear facing under the docking bay

I'm imagining a fast strike ship that performs hit and fade strikes, so i want lots of forward firing weapons and shielding. I made the ship very flat so it would make a small target profile when attacking.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

I wouldn't do the pulse phasers, you don't need them and thats just wasted power. Your ship if moved up to 450m is large enough to carry type XI phasers, so use them. I'm going to correct myself on this but throw out the PTL and only use QTL.
DarkOmen
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by DarkOmen »

the all QTL sounds good, even the defiant still had one PTL. Ill go over it again later and finalize the specs.

and why no pulse phasers...? arent they far more powerful than an array?
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Well that depends on the array. I you split your arrays you can rapid fire you phasers. PTL are slowly being pulled out. If your going for the top of the line the you want burst fire QTLs.
DarkOmen
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by DarkOmen »

Full Specs, DITL style:

Type: Light Tactical Cruiser

Unit Run: NCC 78133 USS Thermopylae, NX 78021 USS Sagittarius
NCC 79400 USS Selia plus 32 others built. Class remains in production.

Commissioned: 2370-Present

Dimensions:
Length: 398 meters
Beam: 370 meters
Height: 103 meters
Decks: 23

Mass: 850,000 metric tons
Crew: 172

Armament:
1x Type XI Phaser Array 45,000 terrawatts total output
4x Type X Phaser Arrays 25,000 terrawatts total output
2x Class I rapid fire phaser pulse cannon
2x Pulse fire quantum torpedo tube
2x Burst fire photon torpedo tube
2x Pulse fire photon torpedo tube

Defence Systems: Automodulated Shield System, total capacity 3,110,000 TeraJoules
Standard Duranium/Tritanium Double hull plus 10 cm Ablative.
High Level Structural Integrity Field

Warp Speeds
(TNG scale): Normal Cruise : 7
Maximum Cruise: 9.2
Maximum Rated: 9.6 for 12 hours.

Strength Indices:
(Galaxy class = 1,000) Beam Firepower: 1,600
Torpedo Firepower: 3,050
Weapon Range and Accuracy: 1,550
Shield Strength: 1,152
Hull Armour: 2,200
Speed: 1,000
Combat Manoeuvrability: 4,660

Overall Strength Index: 1879.33

Diplomatic Capability: 2

Scientific and Research Capability: 4

Expected Hull Life: 110
Refit Cycle: Minor : 1 year
Standard: 5 years
Major: 20 years
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

I agree with most of that but the shields. For a ship only 9 years more advanced to have more powerful shields dispite having a smaller power supply seems odd.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

I like it alot, that rapid fire QTL is a nice touch. As to the PPC's i'd stick to 4 not 2. Give it some better armor as 10cm seems a bit thin now a days, 20cm ablative and you could have her at the small end of the medium cruiser end. More powerful then the standard light cruiser and cheaper then the standard medium cruiser. I think your on your way to a fine ship. I think what you have built here is a good sister class to the akira. One with a lot of TL's the other with a lot of phaser power. The two could work wonders together. Put in a pair of defiants and you have a really strong hit&run squandron.
Last edited by Deepcrush on Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Lovely design. Feels like something we'd have seen in the First Contact battle with the Borg or something. Well done, the specs seem logical.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Bernd
Petty officer first class
Petty officer first class

Post by Bernd »

Nice design! Some parts remind me of the Akira and of S. Tourangeau's Titan design - although I like your take on the saucer pod better. The wide saucer is not unusual (thinking of the Galaxy/Nebula class). It needs some time to get used to it though.
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

I like it :)

Seems like a light cruiser I would have to agree.
DarkOmen
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by DarkOmen »

Bernd wrote:Nice design! Some parts remind me of the Akira and of S. Tourangeau's Titan design - although I like your take on the saucer pod better. The wide saucer is not unusual (thinking of the Galaxy/Nebula class). It needs some time to get used to it though.
wow.. i honestly had never seen that design for the titan before.. the similarities are striking... even the mission pod above the saucer... maybe i had seen that at one point and it was stuck somewhere in the back of my head.

EDIT: the Titan Bernd was talking about.. is this the official design? If it is, it will make me feel better about the Saggittarius being a logical design for the time period.

I guess the missions are rather different though.. i havent read the titan books, but isnt it supposed to be exploration oriented.

I like the way he did his schematics.. i wonder if i should have a go at coloring one :P