Sol post Dominion War.

Deep Space Nine
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Sol post Dominion War.

Post by Deepcrush »

That and the Royal Navy would never have attacked the US Atlantic Coast. On top of the US North Atlantic Fleet, there are massive numbers of land based aircraft to deal with. The RN had no where near the numbers of carriers to combat the US air superiority. If the RN somehow managed to get past this, the US main shipyard of the time was Philadelphia and Baltimore. Both of which are inland and protected by shore cannon, mines and nets.

I think Rochey hit the nail on the head. The Breen attack on Sol was their attempt to copy Pearl Harbor, only the Breen failed.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Vic
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Vic »

Mikey wrote:Well thought, but contradicted by the fact that the Breen task group did in fact reach Earth. And the Iowa-class sure didn't sacrifice speed.
The Iowas incorporated lessons learned during the beginning of the war. One of the most important was that if your aircraft carriers could show your battleships a clean pair of heels, ya need faster BBs.
God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.
.................................................Billy Currington
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Vic wrote:The Iowas incorporated lessons learned during the beginning of the war. One of the most important was that if your aircraft carriers could show your battleships a clean pair of heels, ya need faster BBs.
Very true. Also changes nothing. It doesn't matter why the Iowas were built for speed; they are still in direct refutation of the idea that "US ship design during WWII completely discounted speed."
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
eagle_GT
Petty officer third class
Petty officer third class

Post by eagle_GT »

Wouldn't the breen energy dampening weapon still have been a factor during their attack on earth? If so, then they would have had a tactical advantage over any defensive forces. Since they didn't do too much damage, it would seem to me that they were probably engaged at some distance from earth and fought a running battle with some small portion of their fleet reaching earth where they were finally destroyed.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

eagle_GT wrote:Wouldn't the breen energy dampening weapon still have been a factor during their attack on earth? If so, then they would have had a tactical advantage over any defensive forces. Since they didn't do too much damage, it would seem to me that they were probably engaged at some distance from earth and fought a running battle with some small portion of their fleet reaching earth where they were finally destroyed.
Good point. The EDW might've allowed them to reach Earth before they were destroyed.

Makes sense to me, anyways.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Deepcrush wrote:That and the Royal Navy would never have attacked the US Atlantic Coast. On top of the US North Atlantic Fleet, there are massive numbers of land based aircraft to deal with. The RN had no where near the numbers of carriers to combat the US air superiority. If the RN somehow managed to get past this, the US main shipyard of the time was Philadelphia and Baltimore. Both of which are inland and protected by shore cannon, mines and nets.

I think Rochey hit the nail on the head. The Breen attack on Sol was their attempt to copy Pearl Harbor, only the Breen failed.
If you are talking about WW2 era Royal Navy then you are correct. By that time, the US was already a super-power. But in WW1 the US Navy was still smaller than the Royal Navy and was quite lopsided when it came to ship numbers in types. The fleet was not that balanced.

The Breen attack would have been like Pearl Harbor if all the Japanese planes and ships were destroyed/sunk, with the Japanese fleet being attacked almost the entire way. Which would not have been a suprise attack. If anything it would have been similar to the Dolittle Raid, but with far more damage done.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

If the planes in the Doolittle raid were actually destroyed by enemy fire, rather than having to ditch.
as Bull offed Custer
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

A few were wernt they?
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Teaos wrote:A few were wernt they?
I honestly don't recall, and I'm too tired to try and search it. I think most, if not all, of the bombers were ditched in the ocean (which plan was already known) because they didn't have fuel to return to the Hornet.
as Bull offed Custer
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Some landed in China to I think.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

They all made it to China, well one made it to Siberia but still.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

I vaguely remembering there were 12 planes but I am not sure.

One thing I have wondered since that episode is how big the Breen fleet was. It couldn't be that big since it would have been a waste and even the Dominion would not have liked to hear about some sort of dumb suprise attack that cost the Breen 500 ships for example. It also couldn't have been too small like 20 ships otherwise, seeing how large fleets have become in DS9, it would have been easy for the Dominion to do it themselves.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

IIRC, the percentage of Breen ships in the Dominion alliance fleet actions was fairly small, so it stands to reason that the Breen didn't have huge numbers in any event.
as Bull offed Custer
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

They also need to keep some at home for defence.

Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

I'm not sure the Breen even used the EDW for the attack against Sol. If they did then the Allies wouldn't have been so shocked in the second battle of Chintoka. Why would they hold back though?

The attack on earth must have been costly just by the statements from the ep. Plus, Earth has a far power of defense now that the war is on.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu