Why didn't VOY head to the Gamma Quadrant?

Voyager
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Why didn't VOY head to the Gamma Quadrant?

Post by Monroe »

They knew the location of the wormhole didn't they? Wouldn't it have been a shorter trip to fly to the wormhole then take that to DS9?
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Why didn't VOY head to the Gamma Quadrant?

Post by Mikey »

I don't know if the stability of the wormhole was known at the time of VOY's initial mission.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

The VOY pilot aired in 95, around DS9's third/fourth season. They even stopped at DS9 IIRC so not only was the stability of the wormhole known but so was the Dominion's douchebaggery, a ready made excuse not to go that way.
Lazar
Captain
Captain

Post by Lazar »

Probably because they were afraid they wouldn't be able to get past the Dominion, or because they feared that they might find the wormhole collapsed or mined due to warfare when they got there. Still, it would have been nice for them to at least mention it.
"There was also a large horse in the room, taking up most of it."
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

But they weren't at war with the Dominion yet if I recall. They seemed surprise when they made contact with Earth and they told them about the Dominion. Surely if they had known about the Dominion they wouldn't have been surprised.
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
SomosFuga
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by SomosFuga »

Monroe wrote:But they weren't at war with the Dominion yet if I recall. They seemed surprise when they made contact with Earth and they told them about the Dominion. Surely if they had known about the Dominion they wouldn't have been surprised.
They were surprised by the war (i DK if they were really surprised or merelly desapointed, afraid, sad...) not by the very existence of the dominion. I don´t remember what was the political situation between the dominion and UFP at Voyager´s 1° episode.
Trata las situaciones estresantes como lo haría 1 perro: si no puedes comértelo o jugar con ello, méate encima y lárgate!!!

Handle stressful situations as a dog would: if you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and get out of there!!!
Lazar
Captain
Captain

Post by Lazar »

Monroe wrote:But they weren't at war with the Dominion yet if I recall. They seemed surprise when they made contact with Earth and they told them about the Dominion. Surely if they had known about the Dominion they wouldn't have been surprised.
No, the Feds had already learned about the Dominion - "The Jem'Hadar" and "The Search" both took place before Voyager.
"There was also a large horse in the room, taking up most of it."
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

I remember Andy Dick explaining what the enemy was though to the Doctor. Saying they were called the Dominion and all that. I might be wrong and regardless the alternative to the GQ is crossing Borg space which IS at war.

-Remain Star Trek-
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Personally I'd take the Jem'Hadar over the Borg any day.
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Tyyr wrote:Personally I'd take the Jem'Hadar over the Borg any day.
Especially since the Jem'Hadar is much shorter and at the time not at war.

-Remain Star Trek-
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

And heck, on any given day Voyager could just stomp the borg, so I'm sure the Jem'Hader would be a cakewalk for them.
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
SomosFuga
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by SomosFuga »

Does anyone have a good image/map of the galaxy? i have a couple but not very convincing.
Trata las situaciones estresantes como lo haría 1 perro: si no puedes comértelo o jugar con ello, méate encima y lárgate!!!

Handle stressful situations as a dog would: if you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and get out of there!!!
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Post by Lighthawk »

The DITL galatic map shows it pretty well. The wormhole isn't exactly next door, but it's a good deal closer then trying to fly across the whole damn galaxy.
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

Be a bit of a shame if they made it all the way to the wormhole, only to get blasted to pieces by the minefield at the other end.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Post by Lighthawk »

I'd call that more ironic than a shame.