Dominion ship building

Deep Space Nine
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral
Commendations: Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Re: Dominion ship building

Post by Lt. Staplic »

I'd think they'd probably make a new species.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Deepcrush wrote:There was a Vorta running the shipyards that Dumar and Kira stole the Bug from with the EDW. Taking the remarks of Martok from earlier on, I'm guessing they were doing a good job.
Running the shipyard and designing and building ships are different roles; the Vorta have always been described as administrators (the role that one was evidently filling), not engineers.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Fair enough.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Lighthawk wrote:A tailor made race would certainly fit the founders style, they seem to enjoy reshaping "solids" to fit their needs, and when they do one of these reshapes, they make the race very specific to the job at hand.
I'm apt to agre with the crewman here. Their MO seems to be specialization, even when it's not always the best (i.e. Vorta having crappy eyesight, etc)
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Post by Lighthawk »

Bryan Moore wrote:
Lighthawk wrote:A tailor made race would certainly fit the founders style, they seem to enjoy reshaping "solids" to fit their needs, and when they do one of these reshapes, they make the race very specific to the job at hand.
I'm apt to agre with the crewman here. Their MO seems to be specialization, even when it's not always the best (i.e. Vorta having crappy eyesight, etc)
Thank you captain.

I was going to disagree with you on the vorta eyesight being a flaw in their engineering, on the grounds that what use does a race of diplomats and administrators have for good eyesight. As long as they can see well enough to read their computer screens and recgonize people's faces, that should be good enough for them. Then I thought about it for a moment, and realized there is a very good reason for a diplomat to have good eyesight. In negotiation, the ability to hide your feelings from the other side is an advantage. So having good eyesight, in order to see subtle and suppressed facial expressions, unconscious body language, ect., would be a large advantage for the Vorta. The Founders did goof on that point.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

What, they don't have Lasik in the future? Or would it be phasik then?
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Post by Lighthawk »

I'm sure they do, but lets face it, the Founders are jerks. Poor Vorta probably don't even have dental coverage. That's what they get for not having a Union.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Well, they did have a union - then, they were allslaughtered and replaced with new clones.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

How do you engineer a "race" of engineers? Half of engineering is imagination and NONE of the "clone species" we've seen ever seemed too imaginative. I'd just assumed it would have been the Jem'Hadar building ships when I wrote the post Teaos' mentioned, because the Jem'Hadar had established shipyards in the AQ, and we never saw another subservient race. Unless of course they had the Cardassians building the ships, but I have a hard time accepting that.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

It could be that the Jem'Hadar could be not only engineered for war but as engineers. That could of course be the same for the Vorta.

I personally think that the Jem'Hadar built the ships from plans which were designed by a slave race or bought from a race. All the Jem'Hadar had to do was follow the instructions.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

I always thought of Dominion ship building just prefab work. They let computers do the tiny work and then just have the Jem's put the parts together. Doesn't take a brainstorm to put parts together.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Right, the Jemmies would be just fine for labor. I think the question is, who designs the ships? You need both design skill and technical know-how. Unless, of course, there are Founders who specialize in such things.
as Bull offed Custer
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

The founders seem a damn bit smart on their own.
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral
Commendations: Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by Lt. Staplic »

I'd imagine they have a race designed with superior cognitive ability (but that are rather week physicly to remove the threat of revolt) that design star ships.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

That was one of our initial ideas, though the thought of making them weak to be easily led is a nice touch.
as Bull offed Custer