Surviving vulcans

Discussion of the new run of Star Trek XI+ movies and any spinoffs
SomosFuga
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Surviving vulcans

Post by SomosFuga »

I wrote this in the STXI reviews page but that is not a forum so here is it:

"I realy like this movie and i agree with most of the comments here. One thing i didn´t like (and nobody has mentioned) is the number of vulcan survivors. Ok, 6 billions is a good number for Vulcan or any other planet but only 10 000 survivors (all of them off world at the time of the attack?) all around the galaxy for a species that had been warp capable for at least several hundred years seems like a very small number, i mean, come on 10 thousand!!!??? Just on Earth should be several thousands vulcans and what about vulcans on other federation (or not federation) planets, colonies, stations, ships, etcetera; without mentioning pre-federation vulcan colonies where most population could be vulcan. On Enterprise ep "Twilight" Earth is destroyed and 12 years later there are 6 000 surviving humans, that on a time where humanity was warp capable for just 90 years (2063-2153) Would have been better a number around, at least, a few millions and we still have an endangered species."

So what do you think about it?

P.S. english is not my native language so i apologize for any typo.
Last edited by SomosFuga on Thu May 14, 2009 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Trata las situaciones estresantes como lo haría 1 perro: si no puedes comértelo o jugar con ello, méate encima y lárgate!!!

Handle stressful situations as a dog would: if you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and get out of there!!!
SuperSaiyaMan12
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: Surviving vulcans

Post by SuperSaiyaMan12 »

In Twilight, the human population was reduced to barely 6000 because of the constant hunting from the Xindi.
SomosFuga
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by SomosFuga »

Exactly my point, after our planet is destroyed and after 12 year of pursuit without mercy, there is still 6 000 humans surviving. But when Vulcan is destroy only 10 000 vulcans remained alive, so there are not vulcans on other places but teir homeworld?
Trata las situaciones estresantes como lo haría 1 perro: si no puedes comértelo o jugar con ello, méate encima y lárgate!!!

Handle stressful situations as a dog would: if you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and get out of there!!!
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

That does seem a bit odd.

I haven't seen the movie yet, though, so I can't really comment on that point.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

It is possible Spock was estimating that 10,000 people escaped from Vulcan in the few minutes they had, rather than there being 10,000 Vulcans left in total.

Though that doesn't really square with his "endangered species" line.

Maybe there was a big Vulcan festival on that almost everyone returns home for?
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

GrahamKennedy wrote:...Maybe there was a big Vulcan festival on that almost everyone returns home for?
The "Ponn Frat Party?"
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Until something says otherwise I'm going with only 10,000 Vulcans escaping. I'd be surprised if there weren't that many Vulcans just on Earth. Throw in colonies, starships, research stations, whatever, and I'd have a hard time believing there were only that many in total.

As for the endangered species comment. Even if there are 50,000 left it's still possible. It largely depends on how many Vulcans of breeding age there are and what the minimum population size is that Vulcans need to avoid recessive genes wiping them out do to excessive inbreeding. It takes about 5,000 humans, but it could take 10 or 20,000 Vulcans. We just don't know.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

That's my take on it too; just 10,000 survivors from Vulcan alone.
With the "endangered species" line, Spock might have been speeking hyperbolicaly. He might have been of the belief that Nero would hunt all Vulcans to extinction. So at that point they would have been an endangered species, regardless of their numbers.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

[/quote]

The "Ponn Frat Party?"[/quote]

dammit i laughed out loud and nearly got kicked out of the library.....
PTLLS (Tees Achieve), DipHE App Bio (Northumbria), BSc Psychology (Teesside), Comparative Planetology (LJMU), High Energy Astrophysics (LJMU), Mobile Robotics/Physics (Swinburne), Genetics (SAC), Quant Meths (SAC)
https://www.facebook.com/PeterBrayshay
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral
Commendations: Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by Lt. Staplic »

Well, we have some lines from ENT (I think) that say the the Vulcans were never big on colonizing.....so they might not have had many off world colonies and had very few that ventured off world for things.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Rochey wrote:With the "endangered species" line, Spock might have been speeking hyperbolicaly.
SPOCK might have been doing that? Really? I have to say I doubt that.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

ditto
PTLLS (Tees Achieve), DipHE App Bio (Northumbria), BSc Psychology (Teesside), Comparative Planetology (LJMU), High Energy Astrophysics (LJMU), Mobile Robotics/Physics (Swinburne), Genetics (SAC), Quant Meths (SAC)
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

There's no way there are more than 10,000 Vulcans left total. Vulcans are just not the kind of people to get figures wrong or exaggerate while making a log entry, the endangered species line doesn't jibe with that either. To look at ENT there where no huge colonies that we came across. The only things we saw was a dozen or so ships plus a few very small emplacements on various off world locations. The likes of P'Gem had at most a dozen of them if not less. Even the Vulcans on Earth lived in a single compound at that time. They don't seem to like leaving their own planet. I have no problem believing the idea that there are only 10,000 of them left, the fact that Spock thought he needed to quit Star Fleet and join the process of rebuilding the species should tell you something, every man counts.
email, ergo spam
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

As I've said, I think this is something where if you looked at TNG onward you'd say sure, there are probably a hundred thousand Vulcans living on Earth alone.

But look at it this way. What do you think is the INTENT of this film on this issue? Because it seems to me that it's very clear that they do intend that there are only 10,000 Vulcans in total. Every aspect of the film points to that - Spock's number, his endangered species comment, old Spock deciding to lend a hand in finding a new colony and take an active role in rebuilding, newSpock wanting to leave to help that effort... all of it points to only 10,000 Vulcans in total.

And this movie and the sequels are simply not going to take anything else into account. TNG and beyond doesn't apply. TOS doesn't even apply!

It's a whole new ballgame.
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

ok i don't mean to be stupid but if/when the romulans just after the events of star trek (2009) whether from spock or the immense explosions (lol)find out about nero and the future fate of romulus, do you think that they'd start to take precautionary measures now like warming relations with the federation whilst moving from their homeworld, or would they arrogantly believe that the future can be averted in the future by others?