Tractor beams

Trek Books, Games and General chat
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Tractor beams

Post by Nickswitz »

Ok, so it's cannon, I'm good with it then, thanks GK.
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

GrahamKennedy wrote:We've seen tractors used at warp in DS9.
I believe you, but when? Way of the Warrior?
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Even if we didn't see it, it makes perfect sense. How else do space stations get to remote locations? How else do you retrieve crippled ships from the battlefield?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Paradise. Alixus sets a Runabout off into deep space. Kira and Dax capture it by dragging it out of warp with a tractor beam.

The Ship. The Defiant yanks a Dominion bug off the surface of a planet with a tractor beam (and how bloody impressive is THAT?) Although I don't recall if they depict it, they would pretty much have to tractor it home at warp.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

There's also the example of the Borg tractoring Voyager at warp in Scorpion, although that only demonstrated that it wasn't physically impossible, rather than that Fed ships could do so.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Bryan Moore wrote:
Nickswitz wrote:Well, based on the fact that it is never directly refuted in canon, I see no issue using it.
I tend to agree, more for the principle of the argument "just because it's not mentioned in canon doesn't mean it doesn't exist." There are reasons for and against it, but logic would suggest there has to be some way to tow with a tractor beam in subspace. The most logical explanation would be for the towing ship to extend its warp bubble around the ship being towed, creating a warp field around both ships, allowing the tractor to exist within that bubble. Speculation, but I don't think it's any more crazy than some of the "quantum" we get in canon.
That would make sense, as we've seen Fed ships extend their warp fields around other objects to create various effects. I guess I was trying to apply some actual physics. :doh:
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
SomosFuga
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by SomosFuga »

GrahamKennedy wrote:We've seen tractors used at warp in DS9.
although not canon, in the TAS too, and in ST:Armada
Trata las situaciones estresantes como lo haría 1 perro: si no puedes comértelo o jugar con ello, méate encima y lárgate!!!

Handle stressful situations as a dog would: if you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and get out of there!!!
SomosFuga
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by SomosFuga »

Rochey wrote:Even if we didn't see it, it makes perfect sense. How else do space stations get to remote locations?
Can´t you built or assemble those in site, on the assigned place? I find difficult to imagine SB 74 being towed, that could be a good program for Mega Movers.
Trata las situaciones estresantes como lo haría 1 perro: si no puedes comértelo o jugar con ello, méate encima y lárgate!!!

Handle stressful situations as a dog would: if you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and get out of there!!!
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Post by Lighthawk »

SomosFuga wrote:
Rochey wrote:Even if we didn't see it, it makes perfect sense. How else do space stations get to remote locations?
Can´t you built or assemble those in site, on the assigned place? I find difficult to imagine SB 74 being towed, that could be a good program for Mega Movers.
I have to agree with this, it would take a hell of a lot of ships to tow something like SB 74, and it would be needless. Replicator tech makes it easy to fabricate what you need, where you need it.
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Lighthawk wrote:
SomosFuga wrote:
I have to agree with this, it would take a hell of a lot of ships to tow something like SB 74, and it would be needless. Replicator tech makes it easy to fabricate what you need, where you need it.
I'm sure the minds on this board could think of some need to tow something that big, though =)
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
SomosFuga
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by SomosFuga »

Just to be clear, i´m not saying that it´s impossible, starfleet engineers most likely could develop a way to do it but they probably would decide that it is not practical and instead they would prefer to build/assemble in site.

Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Lighthawk wrote: I have to agree with this, it would take a hell of a lot of ships to tow something like SB 74, and it would be needless. Replicator tech makes it easy to fabricate what you need, where you need it.
It takes several years to build a GCS over the capital of the UFP. Just how long do you think it'd take to build something a few kilometres long in the ass-end of the UFP. There's also the fact that replicators canonicaly cannot make a simple dense metal hatch. Thus that casts serious doubts on their abilities to be used in the creation of starships, let alone stations.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Post by Lighthawk »

Rochey wrote:
Lighthawk wrote: I have to agree with this, it would take a hell of a lot of ships to tow something like SB 74, and it would be needless. Replicator tech makes it easy to fabricate what you need, where you need it.
It takes several years to build a GCS over the capital of the UFP. Just how long do you think it'd take to build something a few kilometres long in the ass-end of the UFP. There's also the fact that replicators canonicaly cannot make a simple dense metal hatch. Thus that casts serious doubts on their abilities to be used in the creation of starships, let alone stations.
Several years for a ship? Do you have a source on that, cause that seems a bit extreme. Also, on the hatch, where did you get that? Just curious.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Ity was in a TNG ep, IIRC. They weren't able to replicate a hatch cover.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Lighthawk »

Ah, so plot was the problem, of course. Well, might it be possible that they couldn't make a hatch cover with the replicators on the ship, but it would be possible with some heavy industrial replicators?