The Federation in years to come.......

Discussion of the new run of Star Trek XI+ movies and any spinoffs
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Re: The Federation in years to come.......

Post by Aaron »

Rochey wrote:While you're right, Graham, that there's been no canon refference to a large Vulcan colony, it seems logical to assume the existance of one.
Just how long had the Vulcans been in space at that point? Centuries, or so? They were one of the most powerful races around by the time of ENT, and presumably for quite a while afterwards. I find it hard to believe that their entire interstellar nation had all of its population, save 10K, based on one planet.
I'd say that everything we learned about the Vulcans (and the Federation in general) in the previous Trek should simply be thrown out the window. It seems to me that the timelines/universes/whatever diverged long before the Kelvin was destroyed, seeing as she appears quite different from any other SF ship we've seen.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

I was thinking, will one of the other member worlds kind of step up to fill the vaccum left my Vulcan? For example, Andoria COULD become a much more active part of the Fed and Starfleet.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Lazar
Captain
Captain

Post by Lazar »

I've always wished that we could see more Andorians (ENT aside).
"There was also a large horse in the room, taking up most of it."
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Indeed. In my old Star Trek:RPG, we had Andorians and Tellerites prominintly featured in the crew. A (whatever the hell Lt. Arex, the guy with three arms was) for a security chief, because he could shoot three phasers at once, and a Caititian CMO, who could operate with their claws alone.

I'd like to see alot more of the CORE species.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Talk of Vulcans as explorers before Humans were is a little contradicted by Enterprise. Clearly the Vulcans do explore, somewhat, and investigate what's around them. But in Enterprise they seemed largely disdainful of such things. We saw and heard it repeatedly.

I actually can buy Vulcans having no major colony worlds. Places like Pan Mokar, yes. Military bases on a few worlds, yes. Consulates, embassies and such, sure. But M class planets with millions and millions of inhabitants? If you asked me in TNG I'd have said sure, dozens of them. But the words "I am now a member of an endangered species" kinda rewrite that assumption, do they not?

We're through the looking glass here guys. EVERYTHING is up for being different, radically different. Scary, isn't it?
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

It's like ANH. The beginning...
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

According to direct statement by Spock there are only 10,000 Vulcans left and that made them an endangered species. I think this rules out any other large populations of Vulcans anywhere else. Having seen the film six times now I can say he specifically did not say that 10,000 people escaped from the planet. We, also, saw no ships leave except for the Enterprise. To suggest that there are another 1 - 2,000,000 of them hiding away somewhere else would directly contradict the endangered species statement.
email, ergo spam