omega directive

Voyager
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

omega directive

Post by Granitehewer »

The Omega Directive (denoted by Ω) is a highly classified Starfleet general order requiring the Captain of a starship to notify Starfleet Command immediately upon detection of an Omega molecule.

The directive authorizes the use of any and all means to destroy an Omega molecule. The Omega Directive was deemed necessary because of the extreme power and the threat to interstellar civilization posed by even a single molecule. The Omega Directive also authorizes a starship captain to violate the Prime Directive if necessary to erase knowledge of the existence of Omega. Knowledge of the Omega Molecule and the Omega Directive is restricted to Starfleet officers ranking Captain or higher.

i got that from memory alpha, that combined with general order 24 (''a taste of armageddon), the order to destroy all life on an entire planet, does the make federation somewhat formidible.
What do people think of the concept and episde?
PTLLS (Tees Achieve), DipHE App Bio (Northumbria), BSc Psychology (Teesside), Comparative Planetology (LJMU), High Energy Astrophysics (LJMU), Mobile Robotics/Physics (Swinburne), Genetics (SAC), Quant Meths (SAC)
https://www.facebook.com/PeterBrayshay
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: omega directive

Post by Captain Seafort »

Granitehewer wrote: What do people think of the concept and episde?
The whole thing came across as a somewhat ham-fisted dig at nuclear power, combined with the sort of scientific stupidity you'd expect from Voyager.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Pretty meh, to be honest. I neither like nor dislike it.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

I don't think it makes the UFP seem formidable or ruthless at all - on the contrary, it makes them seem even more like Greenpeace Lite - using whatever power necessary in order to keep anyone (including themselves) from getting more.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
nighthawk
Petty officer third class
Petty officer third class

Post by nighthawk »

From what I remember it was a "meh" episode overall, with the scientific and procedural nonsense being compensated for by Seven's desire to observe perfection.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

The science was very off, which is par for the course for Voyager. Seven's interest in the particle was really the only thing that made that episode watchable. It gave her a chance to come forward as a character. Admittedly it was during a rather daft episode but still.

As for making the Federation formidable. Not really, its just another of their poorly thought out absolute laws that they tolerate no questioning of. *cough*PD*cough*
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I hate the moral of the story. "There are things we are not meant to know" is a message I never would have thought we would see coming from Star Trek of all places.

But then Voyager did make a habit of doing that now and again.

Tuvix - "it's okay to murder helpless innocent people if the gain is great enough."

Sacred Ground - "Logic and reason should be abandoned in favour of blind faith."

Friendship One - "The exploration of space is not worth the loss of a single life."
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

GrahamKennedy wrote:I hate the moral of the story. "There are things we are not meant to know" is a message I never would have thought we would see coming from Star Trek of all places.

But then Voyager did make a habit of doing that now and again.

Tuvix - "it's okay to murder helpless innocent people if the gain is great enough."

Sacred Ground - "Logic and reason should be abandoned in favour of blind faith."

Friendship One - "The exploration of space is not worth the loss of a single life."
I'm starting to seriously think I blocked most of Voyager from my memory. I didn't remember the second two until just now.

I remember DS9 and TNG pretty well, but most of everything after "What You Leave Behind" seems to be missing. :?
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

That was the charm of Voyager........you literally never knew what you were getting next week!
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

And, with a few exceptions, I didn't remember them by next week. :lol:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Then your luckier than most. :roll:
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

i clenched my fist at voy, when species 8472 lost their alien-ness and became infiltrators, wonder if they ever bump into chameloids and founders....
PTLLS (Tees Achieve), DipHE App Bio (Northumbria), BSc Psychology (Teesside), Comparative Planetology (LJMU), High Energy Astrophysics (LJMU), Mobile Robotics/Physics (Swinburne), Genetics (SAC), Quant Meths (SAC)
https://www.facebook.com/PeterBrayshay
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Granitehewer wrote:i clenched my fist at voy, when species 8472 lost their alien-ness and became infiltrators, wonder if they ever bump into chameloids and founders....
That episode pissed me off. Why wouldn't they have their training ground in their own universe? :P
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

No drama... :roll:
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

It would make far too much sense.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"