Steamrunner, Norway, and Saber Class.......what's the point?

The Next Generation
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Re: Steamrunner, Norway, and Saber Class.......what's the point?

Post by Reliant121 »

I should have clarified, I based my opinion on DITL specs. Even if they are wrong, I still think each of the ships works well with those roles.
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

Yeah, the problem is we don't know much aside from the fact they were cannon fodder against the borg (but then the best Starfleet has was also cannon fodder against the Borg except when Jean-Luc Picard (or Will Riker) was in command). We also don't know when they were first introduced into the fleet. Perhaps they're patrol ships, experimental designs, or maybe someone drew up some really weird-looking specs as a prank but forgot that his commander was a Vulcan! :P
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Captain Picard's Hair wrote:Yeah, the problem is we don't know much aside from the fact they were cannon fodder against the borg (but then the best Starfleet has was also cannon fodder against the Borg except when Jean-Luc Picard (or Will Riker) was in command). We also don't know when they were first introduced into the fleet. Perhaps they're patrol ships, experimental designs, or maybe someone drew up some really weird-looking specs as a prank but forgot that his commander was a Vulcan! :P
I'm all for the idea for a Saber as a patrol craft. As you've likely read elsewhere in the forums, I feel its an underutilized function in Trek.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Many of us do. I also think it's a perfect role for many of this ships we see without a specified function, especially those which are slower and/or undergunned for use as front-line ships.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Mikey wrote:Many of us do. I also think it's a perfect role for many of this ships we see without a specified function, especially those which are slower and/or undergunned for use as front-line ships.
Though what I don't understand is why we don't have 100+ Sabers or some other smaller ships guarding Earth at any given time. It's clearly been attacked often enough!
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

So has the idea of not having a standing fleet whose sole purpose is to protect the core worlds.
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Mikey wrote:So has the idea of not having a standing fleet whose sole purpose is to protect the core worlds.
The fact that the Breen attack force that hit Earth was wiped out, and Voyager was greeted by a substantial fleet when she returned, suggests that the Feds have finally figured out that protecting the place is a good idea. Now they just need to work on positioning the covering force correctly.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Yep. Took 'em a helluva long time to figure it out, though.
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Nothing like a couple of Borg cubes to give complacent idiots a kick up the arse. :)
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Captain Seafort wrote:Nothing like a couple of Borg cubes to give complacent idiots a kick up the arse. :)
Which is why the Destiny Trilogy was such a much-needed bit of writing!
Last edited by Bryan Moore on Mon May 25, 2009 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Its still just horrible that the Breen were even able to attack Earth. The planet side damage looked minor but the fact that the fleet made it to Sol. The Breen should have been intercepted long before hand.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

That was like if the US had allowed the Pearl Harbor attack to happen, AFTER being at war with Japan for three months.
as Bull offed Custer
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Did the Breen have cloaks? If so, and if we were at peace with them originally it is slightly more forgivable for them to get deep into Federation space, but even then the homeworld of the Federation should be more protected than that.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Teaos wrote:Did the Breen have cloaks?
Did they? I don't think they did. :?
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

I cant remember them having it. They might have some form of sensor masking technology, But I cant remember there being any cloaking devices.