You're hired to improve VOY

Voyager
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: You're hired to improve VOY

Post by Mikey »

GrahamKennedy wrote:Make Janeway consistent. She's either to be the one who always sticks to her principles, or the one who will gradually drift into doing whatever it takes to get home. But she is NOT to be doing one one week and the other the next.
Exactly the point I was going to make.
GrahamKennedy wrote:Be a little more consistent in Voyager's capabilities and state of repair. In a way I feel bad complaining about this, because I can see what they wanted to do with replicator rations and such. But so long as Voyager has antimatter, and can get hold of pretty much any old bulk material for the replicators, she should be a ship where people are able to do pretty much whatever they want. Voyager kept inventing things they needed for the power systems, none of which made much sense. I'd have had them looking for antimatter now and again, but that would be about it.
I'm of the opposite mind, more like Tyyr. I'd do away with the procreating torpedoes, and require some IU explanation for otherwise magical repairs/lack of previously extant damage/degradation. In that vein, I'd do away with some of the instant compatability of Voyager's tech with that of completely unfamiliar aliens from the other side of the galaxy. :roll:
Cpl Kendall wrote:I take the cash they allocate for a budget, spend it on booze, hookers, blow and games. I stretch it out as long as humanly possible till they demand to see some examples of what I'm doing, then I bugger off to Venezuela.
Come on, now - coke's no good for you.

I have an alternate question about the Maquis issue - I wouldn't have magically made them equal in capability and training as Starfleet officers who were basically brought up with the tech in question.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Praeothmin
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Praeothmin »

Captain Seafort wrote:Which was one of the biggest problems with Chuckles. He was meant to be a terrorist cell commander, not an interstellar Bill Oddie.
To me Chacotay always reeked of the "poor farmer who's been deported from his home, has nothing, has seen atrocities committed by the Cardies and decided to fight back because it was right" syndrome.
He never really appeared to be a badass terrorist hellbent on making his enemies pay, or something like that.
Ceska and Torres have always been more extreme, but Chacotay was the leader because he had a knack for it.
He seemed like a good pacifier, negociator, useful to keep people thinking differently working together against a common enemy (the Cardies).
Mikey wrote:I have an alternate question about the Maquis issue - I wouldn't have magically made them equal in capability and training as Starfleet officers who were basically brought up with the tech in question.
Well, they had been using Fed tech for some years fighting the Cardies with Fed stolen vessels, stolen weapons, and stolen tech, and they had support from some Starfleet personnel.
Add to that the fact that Starfleet Tech seems so user friendly (so un-Vista like) that it doesn't seem to tough to become real good with it.
Plus, since you don't have the luxury of replacement parts, you have to tinker more with the tech, meaning you have to get to know it real well, even better sometimes with someone who is just trained to replace the damaged part by a new one, and who doesn't need to "create" a replacement part.
This is also true in the real world.
I know some tinkerers who are actually more competent on a certain equipment then many people "trained" on said equipment because they had to open the "beast" up and truly learn what made it tick...
The truth always depends on which side of the fence you're standing... ;)
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

All true. However, I still can't believe that someone who (at best) has a user's familiarity with older tech has the same ready expertise as someone who has been sepecifically trained to both use and repair the SOTA. I would have liked to see a learning curve from the Maquis faction, at least.
as Bull offed Custer
Praeothmin
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Praeothmin »

Well, Be'lanna was good... :)
Aside from Be'lanna, the other Maquis didn't seem like experts.
When we do see them plan the takeover, they've had plenty of time to learn the newer tech.
And when you have to scrounge tech together and learn it quick, I'm pretty sure new tech that's working fine, with the people there to help you understand it, will find its way into your brain very fast... :)
The truth always depends on which side of the fence you're standing... ;)
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

B'Elanna was an Academy washout whose experience was limited to a forty-year-old heap of junk. She should have been utterly incompetent.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

She was. Need I bring up the "can't identify shit without a tricorder" incident? :P
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Good point. Amend that to "should have been treated as utterly incompetent".
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Come on guys, this is the Star Trek future. They've eliminated poverty, disease, hunger, and the anus. No one's seen shit in almost 300 years by this point.

Really, have we ever once seen someone on the show indisposed for a moment because they had to take a dump?
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Tyyr wrote:Come on guys, this is the Star Trek future. They've eliminated poverty, disease, hunger, and the anus. No one's seen s**t in almost 300 years by this point.

Really, have we ever once seen someone on the show indisposed for a moment because they had to take a dump?
I've already speculated that they beam the waste directly from the colon, into the reclamators. :wink:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Well, we know from ENT that they make their boots from shit, so that would actualy make sense.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Tsukiyumi wrote:
Tyyr wrote:Come on guys, this is the Star Trek future. They've eliminated poverty, disease, hunger, and the anus. No one's seen s**t in almost 300 years by this point.

I've already speculated that they beam the waste directly from the colon, into the reclamators. :wink:
Shite to site transport?
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

:bangwall:
as Bull offed Custer
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

GrahamKennedy wrote:
Tsukiyumi wrote:Shite to site transport?
Only if Sean Connery is Captain.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

GrahamKennedy wrote:
Tsukiyumi wrote:

Shite to site transport?
:laughroll:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Wait wait wait... Ent used shit for boots??? And here I thought Italian boots were bad.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu