Showcase your own starship and weapon designs or other creative artwork
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

The Spartan Class Fleet Support Heavy Carrier

Post by Deepcrush »

Name - USS Sparta

Type - Fleet Support Heavy Carrier
Unit run - 2 USS Sparta & USS Thebes, 2 in progess, 26 more planned.
Commissioned - 2381

Length - 1200 meters
Beam - 300 meters
Height - 240 meters
Decks - 30

The Spartan Class was an old design and an even older thought. With the cost of so many of Star Fleet ships to the Dominion and with pirate raids on the outer boarders growing in number. A new class was needed to help police the outer rim of allied space. These new vessels carry 300 Delta class super heavy fighters each and can deploy at a rate of 100 per minute. Also built in was space for 20,000 UFP army regulars to be carried for as much as 2 years. After the war with so many smaller systems falling into line with the UFP for aid many of whom wished to join the war effort or at least the rebuild effort couldn't afford to build large star ships but they could build smaller ships such as fighters. With so many volunteers for enlistment the fighter program became the perfect outlook as it would do things for the UFP. First it would help fill the ranks that were so badly mauled during the war. Second, it would allow for the redeployment of capital ships that have been posted on guard duty to be brought back to the core worlds and Romulan and Breen boarders. Each Delta carries supplies for up to 2 weeks of flight and has warp drive. A single carrier with its fighters wings can patrol up to 7 systems at once. Then just move on to the next 7 system. The massive carry capacity is also useful for nearly anything needed at only one half the cost a galaxy class starship. This "ugly" ship is not built to the normal shine of the Starfleet but is both cheap and easy to build and repair making it perfect service on the out reaches were the nearest dry-dock is weeks away. Armed with 14 type XII phaser banks and 30 burst fire plasma torpedo launcher turrets, she packs a bite that few would ever wish to stand up to. Her defense is just as impressive with 40 cm of ablative armour over a Heavy Duranium / Tritanium11 Double hull with a dual layer regenerative shield systems. The duel layer allows one shield system to be shut down and another put up in its place. This design came out of need as the ship's twin warp cores are already taxed to power the ships massive weapon system. The class is not the latest and greatest but she carries a lot of high grade equipment and is by no means an under built ship.

The first thought going into this class was that Starfleet needed a tough but cheap carrier using tech that is easy to build and repair which would be vital out on the rim worlds. Fighters and pilots can be produced from poorer or less industrial worlds and the carriers and be repaired just about anywhere so long as the materials are available. It will also give smaller weaker systems a chance to protect them selves without always calling on the fleet and getting the helpless feeling that they were forced to live with during the war. The Dominion War changed many worlds and these new ships will give everyone down to the smallest world a chance to help defend the Federation from its future enemies. While some worlds are looking to forget the war some "out here" are looking to prepare for the next one. It takes 2 years to build each of these large ships and with 2 more under construction and 26 more planned. With plans to build a ship yard in the outer rim, these worlds will be able to build their own ships without waiting for Starfleet red tape. With the project already underway. Since the resources of 9.5 billion people across 2 major systems and half a dozen minor ones are coming together on this project it is thought that it has a strong chance of success. Though Starfleet command has voiced their "dislike" of the build up, it has also voiced its support that all worlds should do their small part to help rebuild the UFP to its former glory. In truth, Starfleet may not be worried as these ships are to slow to cause any fears in their neighbors and also would still need cruiser support for any major actions.

As a side note. The first class name given was "Heavy Combat Fleet Carrier". This was changed by request of UFP council as it looked to military.
Last edited by Deepcrush on Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

I personally have a problem with ships over 1000m long. It just seems to much for me.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Teaos wrote:I personally have a problem with ships over 1000m long. It just seems to much for me.
Bigger the better imo.

Let's see a ship 17.5 kilometers long and a crew of 708,470! Wait wrong universe. :P

I like big ships though.

Only two problems is Star Trek for some reason doesn't do carriers and I don't think they'd commission 30 right away. Maybe like the Galaxy 6 at first then when they see them in action more after that.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Carriers aren't very good for One on One battles against heavier ships but they are perfect for trade, boarder and pirate patrol. Starfleet has been shifting ships back and forth without a ship truly built for the job. There aren't enough capitol ships in the fleet to scan every system and patrol every trade route in the federation. The new class is meant to support the needs that must be met but would be harsh on a large group of capitol ships. The new fighter class is in truth a built up runabout reset for combat flights. It carries ten quantum torpedoes on a rotating belt feed. Plus a forward and aft heavy phaser. Just one of these craft and take out any known raider fighter and a squadron of these could down a marauder. Not very impressive on its own but the pure numbers that can be deployed make it tough for pirates to talk their crews into going against a system under the protection of such a carrier. 2 built for testing with two more under construction. The 26 planned to allow the worlds calling for their use. But as everyone knows, what Starfleet plans tends to change.
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Oh I agree its a great idea, just not very trek like :-/ I'd love to see carriers in Star Trek but I doubt we will :( at least in any big numbers or lot of onscreen time.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Well thats why us fans have forums like this.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

I also invision her as a Command ship, that launches her fighters and helps lead the battle. Advanced coms and powerful sensors that would be needed for her anti-pirate missions would also be helpful in large fleet battles.
D. Sergez
Senior chief petty officer
Senior chief petty officer

Post by D. Sergez »

Monroe wrote:Oh I agree its a great idea, just not very trek like :-/ I'd love to see carriers in Star Trek but I doubt we will :( at least in any big numbers or lot of onscreen time.
Domt rule out the 'Akira' supposedly she has 'Space Superiority Fighters' and that makes her sorta a Carrier...
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

That's very true but she isn't meant to be a carrier, she just has the ability to carry fighters. I built a ship that would fill the missing links in the fleet. Its easy and cheap to both build and maintain. The number of fighters she can carry will swarm enemy ships with their warheads and the carrier herself is no lamb. But the main role is always going to be "Command from a safe distance while supporting long range operations".
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Deepcrush wrote:Well thats why us fans have forums like this.
touche. :D

Personally I'd love to see fleets centraled around carriers like this. The feds would really kick ass then.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Its important to remember that 'a' fighter is not that powerful but with 300 or 400 that makes 4000 QTs. Now that power!
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Here are my stats as of now, please let me know of anything that you would change. I have raised the cost to equal a galaxy class and have added more shield power as this ship is so large and heavy that she could never hope to avoid ramming. She also can't dodge weapons fire, if they shoot, it will hit, so I added a point defense system. It still fills the same roll as before only better protected as my earlier design would have a high lose rate in fleet battles. I also change the number being built as the add cost of time and resource would damage the ability to complete the protected time of 10 years. Her size has also been increased to handle the new weapons layout. Though it has a heavy phaser system its main defense is its PTL's. I say defense as this ship is NOT meant to be in close quarters fleet combat. It can be but shouldn't. Its main use is fighter support and command. Due to its size and low speed, aiming is almost not needed as a few well placed shots will sooner or later just hit as she will not be making many turns in battle. ECM's, targeting jammers and a Combat Command Center on board allows the fleet commander to control the battle without having to command his own ship at the same time. The ship has no bridge as normal Starfleet ships do. All command functions, ship or fleet are handled from the CCC. As the ship itself uses a much more basic technical design from normal Starfleet vessels. As such it has a much larger crew, but also has less concern control failures as there are no slave systems on board. Every Carrier is filled as much as possible with torpedoes as once these run out they will find them selves under attack from long range enemy torpedo strikes and their phasers would be of little help to such an ordeal.

Name - USS Sparta

Type - Fleet Support Heavy Carrier
Unit run - 2 USS Sparta & USS Thebes, 2 in progess, 16 more planned.
Commissioned - 2381

Length - 1400 meters
Beam - 400 meters
Height - 240 meters
Decks - 35

Crew - 2000 (this includes the 400 pilots.)
Fighters or shuttles - 400 Delta class heavy fighters.

Armament
14 type XII phaser banks at a total output of 95,000 TeraWatts
30 type 3 burst fire photon torpedo turrents at 9,000 rounds.
40 Point Defense Phasers (used against projectiles).

Defense System
Dual layer high capacity regenerative sheilds at 7,550,000 terajoules.
Heavy Duranium/Tritanium double hull with 40cm of ablative armour.
High level structural integrity Fields.

Beam Firepower - 2000
Torpedo Firepower - 15000
Weapon Range and Accuracy - 1200
Shield Strength - 2796
Hull Armour - 6400
Speed - 850
Combat Manoeuvrability - 450
Warp - 5 normal, 9.4 maximium for 6 hours.

Overall strength index - 5846