Mark Altman's Review

Discussion of the new run of Star Trek XI+ movies and any spinoffs
Lazar
Captain
Captain

Mark Altman's Review

Post by Lazar »

Via Trek Movie. Mostly positive, although he does seem to raise some legitimate criticisms.
Is Star Trek a great movie? No. But it is a good one and a great set-up for a great Trek movie with the entire crew in place and now ready for a piece of the action. When the inevitable sequel is up and running, hopefully we can dispense with time travel, and instead embrace a little more philosophical subtext, metaphor, character development and a lot more going boldly. And with the great wordsmith Damon Lindelof (who's currently finishing off an amazing season of Lost) beaming onboard as a co-writer, I'm deeply optimistic that the best Trek film ever is yet to come. With J.J. Abrams in the captain's chair, the franchise finally has a capable steward at the helm - and hopefully it's full thrusters ahead. Make it go.
There seems to be a widely held expectation that the new Star Trek franchise will go from good to awesome à la The Dark Knight.
"There was also a large horse in the room, taking up most of it."
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Mark Altman's Review

Post by Tsukiyumi »

The only thing missing was a flying kick.
:lol:

Maybe they'll have one in the sequel.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by LaughingCheese »

Any spoilers in that review???? :lol:

EDIT: Nevermind, I read it anyway. :roll: :lol:
Last edited by LaughingCheese on Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Not really, no.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
CaptainQuantum
Chief petty officer
Chief petty officer

Post by CaptainQuantum »

Another review: http://www.cinephobia.com/startrek09.htm

This is my film reviewer mate who took me to the media preview, so I am shamelessly plugging his site. He is a "serious" film reviewer but also a Trek-, Bond- and Star Wars-nerd, so there is plenty worth reading on his site. Also I can testify that he owns and built the Lego Millennium Falcon kit.

Mild spoilers only - nothing you wouldn't have read from all the other reviews.