Discussion of the new run of Star Trek XI+ movies and any spinoffs
Capt. Jethro
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: E-nil firing phasers

Post by Capt. Jethro »

LaughingCheese wrote:
Capt. Jethro wrote:
Mikey wrote:Individual turrets within each bank? I'll have to remember to keep an eye out for that.
If I get your drift, yeah like the TMP phaser banks. Each bank had two ball turrets.
The TNG tech manual states that each phaser strip has individual segments, but of course we've never seen them fire individually and.

And, as Graham has stated I think, that would obviously be an awesome site. :shock:
On DS9 during the Dominion war a GCS fired two beams simultaneously on a Cardassian ship.
American by birth, southern by the grace of God!
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

I wonder what kind of effect that had on the power.

If it increased it, I wonder why more of them didn't to it.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

All I know is that if we get to see the E-Nil let loose, I love the film already. Seeing that ship open fire in this seemingly epic CGI film will be awesome.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Mark wrote:I wonder what kind of effect that had on the power.

If it increased it, I wonder why more of them didn't to it.
I'd imagine that there is a total power limit for each array, no matter how many segments fire simultaneously. That would explain why we didn't see it often - each beam would therefore be of lesser power. In a particular instance, it might be seen as tactically beneficial to hit a particular location form multiple angles, or some such.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

What I've seen from trailers does suggest spectacular action/battle sequences indeed. Another thing (OOU, surely a relic of today's much more advanced f/x) is that this E-nil would be seen pumping out a much greater rate of fire than the "original" TOS version has been seen to in addition to having (presumably) many more phaser emitters - regardless of their color and ability to fire pulses or beams. (obvious perhaps, but worthy of note)
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

But again, that's explained in-universe by the nature of the plot.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Foxfyre
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Foxfyre »

Yeah and as much as I don't like the fact vulcan gets nuked to high heaven I must say I'm looking forward to seeing the SFX with it.
Genius insania et conseri manum
DBS
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by DBS »

USS Aeon wrote:Yeah and as much as I don't like the fact vulcan gets nuked to high heaven I must say I'm looking forward to seeing the SFX with it.
I was going to hold off, but since we're in a spoiling mood :lol: :

From the film, it appears that phaser banks are now pairs of turrets, a bit more advanced looking than the phase cannons of ENT, but with the same concept of an external weapon assembly that tracks targets and actually emits the beam. I'm not personally a fan of the idea, but that's the best I am able to remember.

It looks from the film like the phasers fire a lot of rapid pulses, and from the effects the just feel pretty low power. I can't explain my feelings, obviously the target is a far more advanced (ahem) mining ship from the future, but there is a lot of special effect for little target effect, if you get my drift here.

Anyway, the battles in the movie are lovely, but I think too short and chaotic. I still think that ST:NEM takes the cake with the battle scene, but these are certainly "more exciting"...
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Jean-Luc Picard, quoting judge Aaron Satie
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

DBS wrote:an external weapon assembly that tracks targets and actually emits the beam. I'm not personally a fan of the idea, but that's the best I am able to remember.
I like the idea. It seems like a proper precursor to the banks of the TOS E-nil, which were in turn followed by mostly-internal emitter arrays.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer