Star Trek XI

Discussion of the new run of Star Trek XI+ movies and any spinoffs

Do you think that it's a good idea for Trek XI to be set in TOS era?

Yes, it's a good a time as any.
11%
No, it should have been set in some other period.
26%
I'll watch it before I pass judgement.
57%
They should stop making Star Trek for a while.
6%

Total votes: 53
Space Ghost
Master chief petty officer
Master chief petty officer

Star Trek XI

Post by Space Ghost »

I'm not sure if this is the correct category to put this in, but I figured since it's pretty clear that it will involve Kirk and the gang, I guess this is a good a place as any. :D

My opinion? I don't have a particular problem with a prequel if it's done well. So my vote is yes, it's a good of a time as any. Thoughts?
"Are you considering the strategy I'm considering?"
"The cliché is 'Are you thinking what I'm thinking?' And yes, I am."
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Personally I'd love to see Kirk and Co back in action again. However, I am not so sure about how good the film will be given the last two so I remain rather pesimistic about its chances.
I'll wait till I see it before passing judgement.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
The Wormhole
Ensign
Ensign

Post by The Wormhole »

I'm not entirely sure if going bac to TOS and recasting Kirk and the gang is necessarily the right idea, but I understand the logic behind the desicion. Therefore, I'm holding off on any cynicism, but I'm not being entirely optimistic either.

Of course, I'm not entirely sold on JJ Abrams either. Lost is a confusing mess, and what little I've seen of Alias seems overrated to me. But, he's a popular guy and people seem to love his stuff. Maybe he is what Trek needs, maybe he will be the next Nick Meyer. Or maybe he'll screw Trek over moreso.

I'm cautiosly optimistic about this movie. I'd like to like it, but we still don't know enough about it.
Putting the manatee back in humanity.
DBS
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by DBS »

The Wormhole wrote:Maybe he is what Trek needs, maybe he will be the next Nick Meyer. Or maybe he'll screw Trek over moreso.
If the latter happens, there is no reason it could not remain active as a web-hosted set of fan stories, amateur series, or some other form. Maybe a parallel non-canon universe could be created by fans, kind of like the Star Wars EU. It would be way different (I for one would LOVE to re-do ENT) in some areas, but it would allow fan-stories to be more interesting.

I don't know, just some random thoughts. As long as there are crazy Trekkies like us, the franchise (or at least the idea behind it) will survive regardless.
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Jean-Luc Picard, quoting judge Aaron Satie
The_Chief
Crewman
Crewman

Post by The_Chief »

DBS wrote:I don't know, just some random thoughts. As long as there are crazy Trekkies like us, the franchise (or at least the idea behind it) will survive regardless.
Amen to that~!
What am I? A surgeon or a moon shuttle conductor?
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Due to Enterpirse I have a pathological hatred of retro shows.

I want to see bigger and better not older and obsolet.

Also I don't see how they could make this interesting.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Varthikes
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Varthikes »

I don't have any problem with a movie set in TOS era. What I have a problem with is what they decide to do with such a movie. I would have prefered they did one about April or Pike or a different ship entirely set sometime during the movie era.

As it is now... I have a bad feeling, but, since we really know nothing about what they're doing now beyond the who and when, I can't say for sure in either direction.
"What has been done has been done and cannot be undone."--Ruth, All the Weyrs of Pern
"Dragons can't change who they are, and who would want them to? Dragons are powerful, amazing creatures."--Hiccup, Dragons: Riders of Berk
DBS
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by DBS »

Despite the fact that it won't be the end of the world (quite) if the movie is not so good, one does worry for the "official" side of the franchise should this not work out well.

Mostly I hope that it just is NOT sappy in any way, shape, or form! If they avoid them acting like college students do today, and Kirk's character survives the experience, I will be more or less satisfied.

Low expectations are the key to happiness (at least until it comes out! :?
We will either be right all along, or pleasantly surprised! :lol: To be honest, I am holding out hope for it.
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Jean-Luc Picard, quoting judge Aaron Satie
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I worry about that if this movie is crap there will never be a Star Trek show/movie again. After the failure that was Enterprise if this flops it is going to be the end of trek.

But then I have the Worry that if it's good we will have more retro rather than future stuff which is want.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Is it known who's playing Kirk and Spock?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Last I heard Matt Damon was being interviewed to play Kirk.

Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Ok, thanks.
The Wormhole
Ensign
Ensign

Post by The Wormhole »

Zachary Quinto (who currently plays Sylar, the villain on the show Heroes) is rumoured to be playing Spock. Though nothing is official yet. We should have some definate casting by the end of the month. Abrams is expected to announce something at Comic Con.
Putting the manatee back in humanity.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Seems like I'll just have to wait then. Thanks.
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

I hope we get a cameo by some prior Trek actors in non-speaking/minimal roles. Dominic Keating as Redshirt Ensign Lebowitz, etc. It'd be fun.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?