Scorpion

Voyager
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Scorpion

Post by Nickswitz »

But come on guys, this is Voyager we're talking about.
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Compensate button.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

"Well, if we realign the quantum polarity of the crystallization of the material matrices, we should be able to overcome any problems."

"Sounds difficult. Can we do it?"

"Yeah, it's just the third red button on the left."
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Praeothmin
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Praeothmin »

Mikey wrote:It should have suffered hull integrity issues, due to the much greater ambient pressure, as well as a huge degradation in velocity and maneuverability (possibly weapon range and accuracy as well.)
Didn't we see ST ships go into Gaz Giants, some stars' coronas, at the edge of black holes, with the ships being able to take at least some of the immense pressures you'd find at these locations?

And, they called it "fluidic space", but did they ever state it was full of liquid?
It might just be a "cool name", like the "seismic mine" in SW... :)
The truth always depends on which side of the fence you're standing... ;)
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Praeothmin wrote:Didn't we see ST ships go into Gaz Giants, some stars' coronas, at the edge of black holes, with the ships being able to take at least some of the immense pressures you'd find at these locations?
Yes, although not for any extended durations.
Praeothmin wrote:And, they called it "fluidic space", but did they ever state it was full of liquid?
It might just be a "cool name", like the "seismic mine" in SW...
IIRC, they never stated it was full of liquid, though logic dictates that it was full of fluid - whether gaseous or liquid was never expressed.
as Bull offed Custer
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

From the looks of things fluidic space was just space full of fluid. It wasn't as if they were in some immense ocean. Consequently there wouldn't be any real pressure issues in fluidic space. We have to deal with pressure underwater because the water is in a gravitational field. The farther under the water you are the more mass of water is above you pressing down on you. (And from every direction too). Well in space you don't have that situation. The fluid is just there. Since there's no significant gravitational field pulling you towards and object, and nothing confining the fluid there would be no pressure.

Now it would still impeded movement, reduce the effectiveness of weapons and such but it wouldn't be a problem from a pressure standpoint. It also works vice versa with 8472. There's no problems from a pressure standpoint for them, but a propulsion system meant to operate in fluidic space would probably be useless in our space along with a lot of other problems. For instance heat rejection. In our space most radiators rely on radiation. In fluidic space much more efficient conduction could be used. Unfortunately once they crossed into our space their conduction heat rejection system is totally useless. Sensors, FTL drives, etc. would also suffer a total loss of function crossing either way.

Honestly fludic space was just a case of something sounding cool and going with it. I doubt anyone even considered how to make it work. Does 8472 even remotely resemble a species you'd expect to find in a fluid environment?
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Understood, but there would be some pressure, whether the "fluid" in "fluidic space" was gaseous or liquid. Granted that it wouldn't be the same as atmospheric pressure from an ocean or atmosphere bound by gravity; but the simple displacement of the fluid by VOY's presence would cause ambient pressure in reaction.

Now that you mention this, though, I guess that pressure wouldn't be a concern as the Intrepid-class was designed for atmospheric operation. It would be greater than zero, though, so might be an issue for a non-atmospheric spaceship.

Degradation of weapons range and accuracy, shield capability, etc., would likely depend on the actual composition of the fluid as well as it's refractory index.
as Bull offed Custer
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

The appearance of Voyager in the space would displace some of the fluid. However its unlikely to make any real difference in local pressure. If fluidic space is infinite then the pressure wave would continue to expand indefinitely. Overall pressure would never increase, just a momentary shudder as the wave passed then back to normal. If fluidic space is bound then the pressure would increase, but how much and how quickly would depend entirely on how big the box containing fluidic space is.

There would be some pressure, just from the fluid particles impacting the hull, but without some pressure behind it the impacts would be minimal. I doubt it would tax a starship's SIF.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

I consider fluidic space no different than your run-of-the-mill nebula.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
shran
Commander
Commander

Post by shran »

Was there an actual hole or did every ship make a single entry? if there was an actua; hole, would it cause fluid from fluidic space to spill over into the normal universe?
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

There wasn't a hole per se, you had to create a hole to get in.
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Which still should have caused stuff to come through.

Then again, that's the least of the problems with the whole notion.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Praeothmin
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Praeothmin »

Rochey wrote:Then again, that's the least of the problems with the whole notion.
The whole notion, not the hole notion?

:mrgreen:
The truth always depends on which side of the fence you're standing... ;)
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

*groan* :bangwall:
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

:laughroll:
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu