Reasonable Figure for the Borg Collective? 'Unimatrix'

Voyager
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Reasonable Figure for the Borg Collective? 'Unimatrix'

Post by Granitehewer »

''Unimatrix'', '1 out of every million borg drones affected' (by the mutation)
''Unimatrix'' Seven says ''could be tens of thousands, maybe more''
So if we choose higher tens of thousands so has potential to be more than tens of thousands, say 80,000, then figure for entire borg collective is 80 billion (80,000,000,000), which doesn't really gel with 'dark frontier' ''trillions of drones'', and also 80billion isn't so high as in the 'Yesterdays Enterprise' klingon-federation war, there were 40billion casualties.
PTLLS (Tees Achieve), DipHE App Bio (Northumbria), BSc Psychology (Teesside), Comparative Planetology (LJMU), High Energy Astrophysics (LJMU), Mobile Robotics/Physics (Swinburne), Genetics (SAC), Quant Meths (SAC)
https://www.facebook.com/PeterBrayshay
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Reasonable Figure for the Borg Collective? 'Unimatrix'

Post by Nickswitz »

Maybe there were like a million in the unimatrix, then it would be like a million times a million, or quadrillion? I think thats what it is.
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral
Commendations: Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by Lt. Staplic »

I think 80k is a solid bottom estimate...a million drones in Unimatri 0 is more likely IMO, but it's probably even more than that. 1 mil would make the total 1 trillion (1,000,000,000,000) drones, still a little low. my guess would probably be around 10 mil, and I'd guess that the ratio of drones affected is less than 1 in a mil, but more than 1 in ten mil, making it easier to just round to the 1 per mil number we heard.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

I would guess it changes greatly over time. They assimialte a planet like Earth they get close to 10 billion drones. But they might not keep them all. To great of a pull on resources since they probably have no need for that many.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I'd say the number should easily be in the trillions. The sheer amount of space they rule, the amount of races they assimilated, along with the complete inability for most races to figure out effective counter measures against the techno-zombies should lead to some high numbers.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Rochey wrote:I'd say the number should easily be in the trillions. The sheer amount of space they rule, the amount of races they assimilated, along with the complete inability for most races to figure out effective counter measures against the techno-zombies should lead to some high numbers.
Yeah but you don't really need a lot of Drones in the heart of their Empire. No one to assimilate after all. Just maintain things.
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

There would be hardly any natural attrition, though.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

But why waste a resources? If they assimilate a world why just kill potential drones. Assimilate them, set them to work building cubes, then take off and go make more drones. Just like a virus.
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Well it really calls into mind the true nature of the Borg. Conquerors or Cullers? Culling-ers?

Are they attempting to take over the Galaxy or merely farm it?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Well, remember that they are picky about who they assimilate. They don't bother with Kazon, not worth the trouble. They assimilate what is useful and move on. If a race doesn't offer anything of technological or biological value they seem to ignore it.
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Tyyr wrote:Well, remember that they are picky about who they assimilate. They don't bother with Kazon, not worth the trouble. They assimilate what is useful and move on. If a race doesn't offer anything of technological or biological value they seem to ignore it.
Which in my opinion would support the farming theory SD net first showed me. But we've had other large threads about that idea before. If they're thousands of centuries old though they should own the Galaxy if they were in it for conquest.

-Remain Star Trek-
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Unless their technological superiority is newly gained. We know nothing about how powerful they were prior to TNG.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"