What if Voyager had been a Nebula-class?

Voyager
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: What if Voyager had been a Nebula-class?

Post by Mikey »

Thanks.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

I would have gone with "Beat like a frenchmen" but the Kazon fight back.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

:lol: Nice
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

I was going for rude but oh well.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Mark wrote:Just out of curiosity GK, why did you rate the Nebula slower that the GCS?
The GCS was always described as being the latest and best in Starfleet - in Lonely Amongst Us for instance Picard calls it a "state of the art" vessel. Whilst by no means proof that it was the fastest necessarily, it seemed reasonable that it would be a little faster than a Nebula.

As for cruise speeds, the TNG TM gives three speeds for te GCS : "a normal cruising speed of Warp 6 until fuel exhaustion, a maximum cruising speed of warp 9.2 and a maximum top speed of warp 9.6 for twelve hours." I have always presumed that at speeds above normal cruise engine wear becomes significant, meaning they can only be run for a certain time before breaking down. I also presume that at very high warp the engines overheat.

Interestingly, warp 8 on the (official but not canon) TNG scale equates to 1,024 x c, which is just right for a 70,000 light year trip to last 70 years. That's the rationale behind my giving the Intrepid a normal cruise speed of warp 8, and whilst it's not canon, I always thought it was about as close as we could hope for.

At warp 6, by the way, a GCS should take 178 years to do what Voyager would have done in 70.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

It still seems that if the Neb and GCS are the same engine wise that they would have the same speed.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Not really, you could slap a Nascar engine into my Ford Laser and it wouldnt go as fast as the pure Nascar would.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

If I took a small block out of a ranger XL and put it in a S10 they would travel at the same speed if not having the smaller S10 travel faster.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Teaos wrote:Not really, you could slap a Nascar engine into my Ford Laser and it wouldnt go as fast as the pure Nascar would.
Actually, it would likely tear apart about a mile up the road. :lol:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

:lol:
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Well, you can't just put any engine in any car.

Take this, for example.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

The speed of the two ships is largely irrelevant. They predicted it would take Voyager 70 years to get home. Like it or not it was going to be a generational ship. Sure, some of the crew would likely survive to get home but they'd be very old, even by Trek standards. A few of the more long lived races like the Vulcans might have a decent life span after they arrive home but a lot of the crew would be dead or confined to quarters. As either an Intrepid or Nebula they'd both be looking for some lucky happenstance to get them home.

A Nebula would have had it a bit easier than an Intrepid but the journey would have been same with old Ahab in charge.
Praeothmin
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Praeothmin »

Although having more power, more ressources, would increase the chances of finding shortcuts and use them, even if they're in enemy hands...
The truth always depends on which side of the fence you're standing... ;)
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Had Voy been a Neb, I doubt the resource issue would have been much of a problem. The GCS has supplies for like 5 years (IIRC) and the Neb would have similar supplies. That means that they would be able to push on for 5 years straight before having to stop. Where as the Intrepid seemed to need a resupply every 6 months or so.

Since Voy seemed to always be supplied and there would be plenty of time to find a rock somewhere to drill for resources. A Neb would just leap frog home.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

besides the fact that a Nebula would be far more capable of defeating the DQ species of the week, and probably more capable of taking on borg vessels should it encounter them. Take into account that she would be better served in diplomatic functions. A statement I saw once which was a good way of putting it was "Diplomacy is basically saying nice doggie until you get a bigger stick." A Neb is a far bigger stick than an Intrepid.