Sixty eight years ago, today...

A place to hang out and chat about whatever
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Sixty eight years ago, today...

Post by Sionnach Glic »

World War 2 began.
It would claim the lives of unknown millions of people from all over the world, see the rise and fall of one of the most genocidal regimes in history and see the deployment of the first atomic bomb.

May their sacrifice never be forgotten.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Rochey wrote:May their sacrifice never be forgotten.
So say we all.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

*bows head*

Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

It's getting to the point were we are getting short of veterans for WWII. When that happens I wonder how much we will remember. You don't hear much at all about WWI anymore unless you look into in personally and that killed millions to.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old;
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.

As far as WWI goes, Canada's last WWI Vet just died this summer. So we're now in the realm of historical memory.
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Cpl Kendall wrote:They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old;
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.

As far as WWI goes, Canada's last WWI Vet just died this summer. So we're now in the realm of historical memory.
Yeah, there's under 20 left in the world, I believe.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Bryan Moore wrote:
And some of them never actually reached the front.
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Cpl Kendall wrote:
Bryan Moore wrote:
And some of them never actually reached the front.
Yeah, I think there's a few even who were deployed during the war in various non-combat areas. For example I know there's a US guy who served in that era, but was on coastal duty at home.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Only twenty? Wow, never knew there were that few.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Rochey wrote:Only twenty? Wow, never knew there were that few.
Well, it's almost ninety years ago - even the youngest are well over a hundred.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Good point. Its hard to believe it was so long ago.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

The way that war was fought is so far removed from modern times that its hard to relate to it.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Teaos wrote:The way that war was fought is so far removed from modern times that its hard to relate to it.
Ironically, many of the tactics used by modern armies were first developed on the Western Front. Tanks, close air support, strategic bombing and fire-and-manoeuvre were all introduced in an attempt to break the deadlock. Technology may have advanced since then, but the fundamentals haven't changed much.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

The very basics are the same but we have gotten past the "Walk slowly towards the enemy guns" strategy that killed a couple of million people.

Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Teaos wrote:The very basics are the same but we have gotten past the "Walk slowly towards the enemy guns" strategy that killed a couple of million people.
True, but the methods I mentioned were the solutions developed in 1917/18 once they'd figured out that the "walk slowly towards the enemy" tactic wasn't working.