What next for The Doctor?

Voyager
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: What next for The Doctor?

Post by Mark »

Mikey wrote:Medical knowledge isn't the issue. That can be transferred in databases. The Doctor is unique in that his extended operation allowed him to develop a personality (several, in fact.) There's no need to copy that into any other EMH, much less a right to.
Who'd WANT too? I mean, he's rather high maintence. At the drop of a hat, he can go bonkers, be reprogrammed, or start to malfuntion for no reason.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

His personality is a double sided coin, it allowed him to grow and maybe develope some of his more inventive techniques. Or it could be a liability, ala Jetral.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
thelordharry
Captain
Captain

Post by thelordharry »

Teaos wrote:His personality is a double sided coin, it allowed him to grow and maybe develope some of his more inventive techniques. Or it could be a liability, ala Jetral.
I can't help feeling The Doctor became a better physician because of his ever developing personality. Compare said personality from 'The Caretaker' to 'Endgame' and you wouldn't recognise the two. Still, having said that, as The Doctor IS a computer generated and controlled entity, then surely the sum of his medical knowledge (at say, Endgame) could be extracted and transplanted to other EMHs, leaving behind any individuality solely for The Doctor's use? (especially the singing...)?
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and
the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to
know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is
to have succeeded.”
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Like I said, the knowledge/medical skill is simply an issue of porting a database, nothing to do with any personality or sapience at all.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
thelordharry
Captain
Captain

Post by thelordharry »

Mikey wrote:Like I said, the knowledge/medical skill is simply an issue of porting a database, nothing to do with any personality or sapience at all.
Do you think it would be administered by Microsoft Access in the Microsoft Office Professional 2375 suite? :)

Fair point about porting knowledge over, sure. However, surely Starfleet would want to take advantage of a working template of the Doctor's 'Endgame' personality, which I think we'd all agree, is a lot more useful than it was upon first activation and much more than later marks, like the androgynous MkII one on the Prometheus?
to have succeeded.”
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I don't think they could "take advantage" of it by reproducing it, judging by the precedent set in TNG: "Measure of a Man."
thelordharry wrote:Microsoft Medical Professional 2375 suite?
fixed. :wink:
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

On a related note, does anyone else find it interesting that out of a seven year long show, the character with the most development by the end of it was a frickin' computer program?

Of course, he's the only character on that entire ship that deserved any development.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

That's not true at all!

Oh... I guess you're not counting retrogade development.
as Bull offed Custer
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

:lol:

I love cheap shots
thelordharry
Captain
Captain

Post by thelordharry »

Mark wrote::lol:

I love cheap shots
They're the ones that usually give you the worst hangovers...
to have succeeded.”
Schrodinger's Hat
Chief petty officer
Chief petty officer

Post by Schrodinger's Hat »

Yeah, but after five or six most folks can't tell the difference between the cheap shots and the good shots anyway, so you might as well...

Heh, anyhow, what's next for the Doctor? A book tour. He's gained sentience, explored the Delta Quadrant, commanded a starship, defeated the Romulans, foiled at least one plot to destroy Voyager, and returned home to tell the tale. I imagine any number of publishing houses would jump at the chance to get his story if only for the publicity.

As for duplicating the Doctor, I'm sure someone's suggested this, but why? The EMH was never supposed to replace a starship's medical staff. It's a self-wielding scalpel with a snarky attitude and a receeding hairline. The Doctor himself is pretty useful, but a baseline EMH is a tool and nothing more. As a matter of fact, my understanding is that it's a tool with a limited function set. It's supposed to supplement the medical staff until such a time as there were enough organic doctors available to deal with the situation. Probably, the things it would have to deal with would be rather straightforward, such as injuries from combat and the like. Anything weird, the organic doctors would deal with. Giving such a program sentience would only be useful in situations where a conventional medical staff is unavailable, like with Voyager.

Anyway, there's my two cents.
Warning: Erwin Schrodinger will kill you like a cat in a box. Maybe.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

As for duplicating the Doctor, I'm sure someone's suggested this, but why?
Because if is better than almost any other doctor in the fleet. For ships like the Frankenstein fleet having a EMH ala doctor would be far better than what evr boarder line failed doctor they would have gotten usually.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Exactly. His experiences would be invaluable for crews.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Well, you'd have to upgrade all of the systems on board to support his software, and install holo-emitters, but yeah, I think that would work well. ESPECIALLY for small ships, like a Sabre or a Defient, where you have a VERY small crew anyway.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Agreed with Hat (as I've already mentioned.) The only reason to replicate the Doctor fleet-wide, rather than use "base" EMH's, is if you intend to get rid of every CMO in Starfleet.
as Bull offed Custer