as Bull offed Custer
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Some new views of the movie...

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Cpl Kendall wrote:
Tsukiyumi wrote:
Cpl Kendall wrote:Anyone know what the music in it is?
Good question.

In the trailer, it looks like Vulcan is destroyed, and the Big E at least takes a serious pounding (if it doesn't get destroyed). They really are setting up a totally new timeline here, which I think is great. If this is a success, I wonder where they'll go with it?
It looks the Kelvin also shoots down some Romulan missiles near the end.

Edit: They had 800 people on that tin can? Wow.
Maybe there's another ship that the Kelvin buys escape time for?

I can't wait for everyone to see this, so we can have a discussion of the movie. :)
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Lazar
Captain
Captain

Post by Lazar »

One thing to note: you can see in one of the shots that the Enterprise is upside down. I love the fact that they're getting away from the "horizontal plane syndrome" that's all too common in scifi, and depicting the ships in more of a 3d environment.
Tsukiyumi wrote:Maybe there's another ship that the Kelvin buys escape time for?
Pike tells Jim Kirk that his father saved 800 lives "including yours", so maybe the Kelvin saved a colony or starbase. I've gotten the impression that the Kelvin itself was destroyed, which would explain why the elder Kirk was only captain for 12 minutes.

~~~

About the plot, I saw that one commenter on the interwebs wrote this:
I've always wondered what you got if you put City on the Edge of Forever, The Doomsday Machine, and Wrath of Khan in a blender.
You could do a hell of a lot worse than that, assuming it's pulled off well.
"There was also a large horse in the room, taking up most of it."
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Lazar wrote:One thing to note: you can see in one of the shots that the Enterprise is upside down. I love the fact that they're getting away from the "horizontal plane syndrome" that's all too common in scifi, and depicting the ships in more of a 3d environment.
At the end? That's the Kelvin.
Pike tells Jim Kirk that his father saved 800 lives "including yours", so maybe the Kelvin saved a colony or star base. I've gotten the impression that the Kelvin itself was destroyed, which would explain why the elder Kirk was only captain for 12 minutes.
Well if they keep part of the Kirk back story, he was a colonial for a while.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Lazar wrote:One thing to note: you can see in one of the shots that the Enterprise is upside down. I love the fact that they're getting away from the "horizontal plane syndrome" that's all too common in scifi, and depicting the ships in more of a 3d environment.
That's one of the things I like about nBSG. If you're in a fighter and hit nose-mounted reverse thrusters, you can as likely flip over your horizontal axis as turn while remaining "flat."
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Lazar
Captain
Captain

Post by Lazar »

Cpl Kendall wrote:At the end? That's the Kelvin.
No, at about 1:17 you can see the Big E upside down. At first I thought, "Wtf, they put the ship's registry number on backwards?" But then I saw the bridge module and I realized that we were just seeing the ship from an unfamiliar angle.

~~~

Another thing to note is that Chris Pine really evokes Shatner's Kirk when he looks up at Uhura at 1:26.
"There was also a large horse in the room, taking up most of it."
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

Okay, this gave me goosebumps. 8)
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Lazar wrote:
Cpl Kendall wrote:At the end? That's the Kelvin.
No, at about 1:17 you can see the Big E upside down. At first I thought, "Wtf, they put the ship's registry number on backwards?" But then I saw the bridge module and I realized that we were just seeing the ship from an unfamiliar angle.
Ahh, ok.
~~~

Another thing to note is that Chris Pine really evokes Shatner's Kirk when he looks up at Uhura at 1:26.
I'm not really feeling him as Kirk but I grew up on TOS so I'm a little biased.
colmquinn
Commander
Commander

Post by colmquinn »

Link isn't working for me
But I can't throw, I throw like a geek!
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

colmquinn
Commander
Commander

Post by colmquinn »

That's great thanks.
But I can't throw, I throw like a geek!
Victory is Life
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Victory is Life »

Honestly, and I mean HONESTLY! I dont know how these boards cannot be completely erupting after this most recent trailer. This trailer gave me chills, and represented star trek in the epic focus that it always deserved. I always hated that star wars always had the edge on 'epic' in the conventional sense. Here we have a drastic reboot that so far looks INCREDIBLE, and i mean that in every sense of the word, and all I seem to see here from devout fans is at best, happily apathetic. This trailer looked great, evoked a sense of awe and of emotion. And if you want my opinion, I think the planet that caves in midway through the trailer as eric bana gives his 'ive been waiting my whole life' diatribe, is romulus. Im sure everyone can fill in the blanks after that...
"You may win this war, Commander, but I promise you, by the time it's over, you will have lost so many ships, so many lives, that your "victory" will taste as bitter as defeat."
- Female Changeling
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Victory is Life wrote:Honestly, and I mean HONESTLY! I dont know how these boards cannot be completely erupting after this most recent trailer. This trailer gave me chills, and represented star trek in the epic focus that it always deserved. I always hated that star wars always had the edge on 'epic' in the conventional sense. Here we have a drastic reboot that so far looks INCREDIBLE, and i mean that in every sense of the word, and all I seem to see here from devout fans is at best, happily apathetic. This trailer looked great, evoked a sense of awe and of emotion. And if you want my opinion, I think the planet that caves in midway through the trailer as eric bana gives his 'ive been waiting my whole life' diatribe, is romulus. Im sure everyone can fill in the blanks after that...

Your surprised that long time fans might be cautious or apathetic? There are guys here that first got in when TOS was the only Trek (Graham, Ian, Myself, Mikey?), how do you expect people to react after two crap series and two movie bombs?

Yeah, the trailer was awesome and even I am considering seeing it in theatre but remember that it is a trailer. How many trailers have you seen that basically had all the good bits and the movie blew? Cause I've seen a lot.
Victory is Life
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Victory is Life »

Cpl Kendall wrote:
Victory is Life wrote:Honestly, and I mean HONESTLY! I dont know how these boards cannot be completely erupting after this most recent trailer. This trailer gave me chills, and represented star trek in the epic focus that it always deserved. I always hated that star wars always had the edge on 'epic' in the conventional sense. Here we have a drastic reboot that so far looks INCREDIBLE, and i mean that in every sense of the word, and all I seem to see here from devout fans is at best, happily apathetic. This trailer looked great, evoked a sense of awe and of emotion. And if you want my opinion, I think the planet that caves in midway through the trailer as eric bana gives his 'ive been waiting my whole life' diatribe, is romulus. Im sure everyone can fill in the blanks after that...

Your surprised that long time fans might be cautious or apathetic? There are guys here that first got in when TOS was the only Trek (Graham, Ian, Myself, Mikey?), how do you expect people to react after two crap series and two movie bombs?

Yeah, the trailer was awesome and even I am considering seeing it in theatre but remember that it is a trailer. How many trailers have you seen that basically had all the good bits and the movie blew? Cause I've seen a lot.

I am not exactly blind to the possibility that this film might be 'all show, no go', but in reality, with every new trailer, and every new piece of information that i get, i become more and more optimistic. I honestly believe that JJ Abrams is a genius, and I think I see what he's doing with this movie, and its going to be better than anything berman and braga ever gave us. but, until the release date, we won't know who's right....
"You may win this war, Commander, but I promise you, by the time it's over, you will have lost so many ships, so many lives, that your "victory" will taste as bitter as defeat."
- Female Changeling
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

I am not exactly blind to the possibility that this film might be 'all show, no go', but in reality, with every new trailer, and every new piece of information that i get, i become more and more optimistic. I honestly believe that JJ Abrams is a genius, and I think I see what he's doing with this movie, and its going to be better than anything berman and braga ever gave us. but, until the release date, we won't know who's right....
Congrats, would you like a medal, a pat on the shoulder or a box of chocolates? If what you've seen interests you then good for you but don't presume to tell anyone else how psyched they should or should not be for a piece of subjective entertainment.

Now, for anyone who is interested, these are apparently shots of the studio model. So for those that were complaining about the chrome bussard scoops, you can see that they light up.