TR-116 vs Phasers

Deep Space Nine
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

TR-116 vs Phasers

Post by Mark »

NOTE: THIS THREAD IS NOT INTENDED TO RESURECT THE FAMED TR-116 THREAD.
IT IS TO DISCUSS THE MERITS OF BOTH WEAPONS, AND TO COMPARE AND CONTRAST THEM.

I was recently reviewing the DITL entry on the TR-116 and was hit with a great idea. Would it be completely unrealistic to design a TR-116 with a phaser built in? That would provide the bearer with several options during a combat operation.

Thought?
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: TR-116 vs Phasers

Post by Teaos »

As a general rule its better to make speiatlity guns rather than swiss knife guns.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Mark wrote:NOTE: THIS THREAD IS NOT INTENDED TO RESURECT THE FAMED TR-116 THREAD.
IT IS TO DISCUSS THE MERITS OF BOTH WEAPONS, AND TO COMPARE AND CONTRAST THEM.

I was recently reviewing the DITL entry on the TR-116 and was hit with a great idea. Would it be completely unrealistic to design a TR-116 with a phaser built in? That would provide the bearer with several options during a combat operation.

Thought?
Well seeing as the TR-116 was shelved in favour of phasers that worked in all enviroments, I'm not seeing much of a benefit to scrapping all the existing weapons and replacing them. Yes, you could put a phaser on it ala the C-7/M-203 combo or vice versa with a phaser but in general I'd say it would just be better to put a grenade launcher on the existing phaser rifles.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Yeah, the only barrel-mounted additions I could see being useful are grenade launchers (or the 'Trek equivalent) or targetting aids. Phaser rifles and the TR-116 fill the same role, and as Kendall mentioned there appear to have been developments in phasers which overcame the reason the TR-116 was made.

For particular roles, like sniping, the TR-116 with the microtransporter mod would be useful - but in that case, there wouldn't be a need for the phaser addition.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

The TR-116 never really made sense as a combat weapon - normal transporters are blocked by everything from thunderstorms to funny rocks, so it stands to reason that the microtransporter would be even more severely affected. Without the transporter, it would be considerably less effective, as it's got a very low velocity round. The only thing it would really be useful for is assasinations - in which case it's size is a considerable drawback.

As for attachments to phaser rifles, they're in desparate need of a bayonet.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Captain Seafort wrote:...As for attachments to phaser rifles, they're in desparate need of a bayonet.
Seconded.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Captain Seafort wrote:The TR-116 never really made sense as a combat weapon - normal transporters are blocked by everything from thunderstorms to funny rocks, so it stands to reason that the microtransporter would be even more severely affected. Without the transporter, it would be considerably less effective, as it's got a very low velocity round. The only thing it would really be useful for is assasinations - in which case it's size is a considerable drawback.

As for attachments to phaser rifles, they're in desparate need of a bayonet.
That was just something cooked up by the insane Vulcan and O'Brien anyways. I doubt that it was ever seriously considered as a modification for combat.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Aye, wasn't the transporter bit an add-on? Maybe it was meant as a conventional sniper rifle.

As for shoving a phaser on it, don't bother. Give the trooper carrying it an MP-5 instead. Much bettter.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Frak mp5, go MA DEUCE!
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Deepcrush wrote:Frak mp5, go MA DEUCE!
As the standard-issue longarm?! If each soldier was equipped with an M2, they'd be able to carry an average of eight rounds apiece. :roll:
Rochey wrote:Aye, wasn't the transporter bit an add-on? Maybe it was meant as a conventional sniper rifle.
Yes, it was added by the Vulcan sociopath in the DS9 ep. However, that add-on would make it an effective sniping tool; without it, it's just a rather unimpressive hunting rifle.
as Bull offed Custer
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Mikey wrote:
As the standard-issue longarm?! If each soldier was equipped with an M2, they'd be able to carry an average of eight rounds apiece. :roll:
Not even that. It's man portable, yes but only if it's broken down into three pieces. Have fun using that barrel as a club. ;)
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Yeah, just give 'em this. :twisted:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Assault shotgun + no real body armor to speak of = bad for the guy on the wrong end.
as Bull offed Custer
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

During the part where he's auto-blasting the crap out of the water-filled buckets, just picture the Jem'hadar charge from AR-558. :lol:
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

You wouldn't want to be on Deck 9 when Guinan pulls that out from under the bar and starts shooting the ceiling.

I'm reminded of an episode of Stargate when O'Neill and the team are demonstrating the advantages their assault rifle has over those staff blaster thingies (I never watched the show regularly).

The staffs may have been technologically superior, but the assault rifle was much more effective.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."