Alien Ships

Graham's Coalition Universe stuff
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Alien Ships

Post by Graham Kennedy »

A thread for some of the ships used by powers beyond the Coalition. Alien designs are generally less thought through in detail than Coalition ones; I try to get the basics sensible, so I have an idea of how the design "works", but I don't plan out the interiors in detail like I do with Coalition ships.

First up, the Zaketh battleship "Emperor's Dignity".

The Emperor's Dignity is perhaps the archetypal Zaketh warship. In a species that seems almost obsessed with size and power for the sake of size and power, this warship is 96,250 metres in length, 29,165 metres across the beam, and 13,185 metres high. The ship is largely comprised of hard angles and gigantic slab sides. The surface is dotted with 28 blisters which are tentatively labeled as weapon housings. The mechanism by which these function is unknown, but some observations of other Zaketh units firing have been made. Most commonly, detonations seem to happen on the target without any apparent mechanism connecting them to the ship. A real space observer would see something similar with a Coalition design which fired its weapons through midspace; in that case the matter/antimatter bolt would vanish almost the instant it left the cannon, reappearing almost directly on top of the target. Only with midspace sensors operating would the bolt be seen in transit, however briefly. In the case of the Zaketh warship, however, even midspace sensors show nothing connecting the weapons to the target. It is as if the target simply explodes for no reason.

The weapon blisters are 1,865 metres in length and 1,165 metres across. Only hazy estimates can be made of their firepower, but blisters half this size have been observed on other ships causing detonations many thousands of times larger than the largest Coalition AMP cannon, and at a far higher rate of fire.

Apart from the blisters, the Emperor's Dignity carries something that appears to approximate a Coalition Planetbuster Cannon, albeit on a significantly larger scale. The weapon is slung under the forward section of the ship; it is over 26 kilometres long. The weapon has not been seen firing, but rumours abound as to what its purpose might be. It seems too large for a "mere" planet busting weapon, and one suggestion is that it is a "starbusting cannon". Another is that it is designed to penetrate the powerful shielding which Zaketh ships are, presumably, fitted with. Another is that it is a weapon of exceptional range - something that large built with Coalition technology might encase a PBC bolt in a midspace sustainer field which would let it fire across as much as a thousand light years.

Whatever the case, it is clear that the Emperor's Dignity alone outguns not only entire Coalition fleets, but possibly even the entire Coalition navy.

Whilst undoubtedly a supremely powerful vessel, this dreadnought also exemplifies the worst excesses of the Zaketh Empire. As with all such ships the posts on board are hereditary in nature; from the commanding officer to the lowest deckhand, every member of the crew is aboard purely because his or her parent served there. Where a Coalition vessel has an engineering department, a gunnery department, an aerospace contingent, on a Zaketh vessel these departments are individual aristocratic houses, filling important posts with senior members and lesser roles with the junior members. A ship's crew represents an alliance of different aristocratic lines, which may be bound together by marriage, or tradition, or simply convenience. The crew of the Emperor's Dignity is not an asset to be utilized by the Emperor, however respectfully and carefully, as in the Coalition's case. Rather, they are a major political force in their own right, technically subject to Imperial whims but in reality at least a rival to the Imperial house itself.

The impact on the upkeep and operation of the vessel can only be imagined. It is known that civilian proletariat contractors are frequently employed to service and even operate Zaketh vessels; in extreme cases such casual employees perform most or even all functions aboard, essentially giving the ship an aristocratic crew who function as figureheads and a prole crew who do the actual work.

Since the senior officers are members of the aristocracy and the Imperial court, employment of the ship in any cause is a delicate political matter. The Lords of the Zaketh navy are reluctant to venture forth into the distant "barbarian lands" even within the Zaketh borders, let alone beyond them. When they do, it is generally as part of an Imperial tour in which a large part of the home fleet ventures forth together. Such missions are not carried out often, and usually involve a great deal of preparation - indeed it is questionable whether the Emperor's Dignity does or even can do anything at all without a great deal of prior preparation.
In essence, then, the most powerful single military unit in the Milky Way galaxy is employed largely as a high end luxury barracks and personnel transport.

As far as is known, the Emperor's Dignity has never ventured beyond Zaketh borders, and is unlikely to in anything but the most extreme of circumstances.

Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Alien Ships

Post by Mikey »

Wow.

Kind of a glacial empire.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Wow. :shock:

All this thing needs now is a beard and a Christmas hat.
GrahamKennedy wrote:The surface is dotted with 28 blisters which are tentatively labeled as weapon housings. The mechanism by which these function is unknown, but some observations of other Zaketh units firing have been made. Most commonly, detonations seem to happen on the target without any apparent mechanism connecting them to the ship. A real space observer would see something similar with a Coalition design which fired its weapons through midspace; in that case the matter/antimatter bolt would vanish almost the instant it left the cannon, reappearing almost directly on top of the target. Only with midspace sensors operating would the bolt be seen in transit, however briefly. In the case of the Zaketh warship, however, even midspace sensors show nothing connecting the weapons to the target. It is as if the target simply explodes for no reason.
Interesting. Have you developed a mechanism for this, or just stuck with the basic description, and deliberately left it's mode of operation a mystery? My two guesses would either be the same as the coalition, but using a faster analogue or area of midspace (related to the midspace the coalition uses in much the same way as your transwarp domains relate to subspace) or they're using transporters/displacers/whatever, in the same way as the Culture.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

My thinking is that they do a folded space thing. Imagine the weapon and target on a sheet of paper; fold the paper so that the two things are directly adjacent, and the weapon then just fires across from one surface to the other. It's a technology only the very top rank of major powers would have access to, or even be able to detect in operation.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Really awesome :D

I'd love to see this thing in action.
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Monroe wrote:...I'd love to see this thing in action.
Agreed. :)
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

You'd be disappointed. With the shields up a Coalition ship is a featureless black ellipsoid. AMP weapon fire would be a ghostly line of light flicking on and off so fast that you probably wouldn't see it at all. Even at point blank range the enemy would be so distant that you'd never see it - up to several light years. Even near misses by enemy fire would be light minutes or light hours away. Seeing a direct hit on the ship would be like watching a very, very large nuke going off; unless you were inside the shields, or in a nearby shielded ship, you'd be dead before you knew it had happened.

Space battles are dull as dishwater to watch.
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

GrahamKennedy wrote:You'd be disappointed. With the shields up a Coalition ship is a featureless black ellipsoid. AMP weapon fire would be a ghostly line of light flicking on and off so fast that you probably wouldn't see it at all. Even at point blank range the enemy would be so distant that you'd never see it - up to several light years. Even near misses by enemy fire would be light minutes or light hours away. Seeing a direct hit on the ship would be like watching a very, very large nuke going off; unless you were inside the shields, or in a nearby shielded ship, you'd be dead before you knew it had happened.

Space battles are dull as dishwater to watch.
Well if its written in a thrilling way anything can be eciting.
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Monroe wrote:Well if its written in a thrilling way anything can be eciting.
Agreed, but that doesn't change the fact that the Coalitionverse, like the Cultureverse, is something that's best depicted in textual form rather than visual.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Pymaran Warship

This class of ships are the largest and apparently most modern in use with the Pymaran fleet. At 12,528 metres in length it is almost two and a half times the length of a Coalition Kororra class battleship, though somewhat narrower and flatter in proportion. The vessel is armed with turreted AMP cannon similar to those the Coalition uses, though rather larger; each of the 27 cannon is about twice the firepower of a Coalition Mark 21. There are four torpedo tubes in addition, though details of these are unknown.

The ships are known to be fast and agile. Their top speed is unknown but the highest recorded speed is 72.4 kc, with the observed ship displaying some moderate fluctuations in engine output signature. Agility is said to rival that displayed by Coalition cruiser types. The ships have no visible sign of engines on the exterior, and indeed few visible features on the hull at all.

Whilst Pymaran warships are undoubtedly large and powerful by Coalition standards, they are far from being uberships. Analysis has indicated that with a sufficient numerical advantage a Coalition fleet could likely at least force a retreat, if not win an outright though rather costly victory. The Pymara employ these vessels in a generally defensive pattern. Whilst it is not exactly rare to find them operating within the Deep Range, the bulk of their fleet remains close to or within their own borders. A good deal of the Pymaran fleet's activities are apparently aimed at containing any threat from the Areldeni.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

I like that Pymaran ship a lot. It shows a dedication to similar basic starship design principles - presumably necessitated by the facts of FTL travel - while enough differences to be "alien." Well done.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Tain Warship

Although every Tain vessel is different from every other in the details, the above is a typical Tain heavy warship as seen during the early to middle stages of their war with the Coalition. As with the Tain themselves, the vessels were rather difficult to classify. They were in many senses organic, and rather blurred the line between living and non-living. In at least some senses the ships could be considered as huge living beings, though if they ever were true life forms they had long been modified to the point of being a sort of "biological robot" - a description which applied equally to the Tain themselves.

Over eight and a half kilometres in length, the Tain heavy warships were large and powerful vessels - much more powerful than the Coalition designs in service at the beginning of the war. They displayed radial symmetry, with a long, slender, spiky appearance. The surface is studded with weapon towers; six large ones just forward of the midsection and thirty six smaller ones in various locations. The larger weapons were equal to a Coalition Mark 21 cannon in firepower, the smaller ones more akin to a Mark 12.

Whilst the Tain's ability to "grow" soldiers made them difficult - and indeed ultimately unbeatable - opponents on the ground due to the almost incomprehensibly vast numbers they could field, the same ability proved to be a massive Achilles heel for their ships. Whereas individual soldiers could apparently be grown in short order, the growth of a heavy warship apparently took many years, and could only be accomplished in a few locations. As Coalition designs steadily improved throughout the war the Tain ships found themselves matched, and then outclassed. More importantly, as the Coalition's massive industrial capability was brought around to a full war footing they were able to pour forth a virtual torrent of vessels, easily outpacing even the heavy loss rate of the early years of the war let alone the rather modest losses of the later years.
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Really cool two new ships. :D The Tain sound like they would have been horrific at the start. The whole plot outline you have for the war would make a great movie hehe

Call me lazy but could you have a link to the aliens who fielded them? Would make putting the face with the ship easier :P

-Remain Star Trek-
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Honestly, the Tain sound a little bit like the Wraith from Stargate Atlantis. Definitely fairly BA tho.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Monroe wrote:...Call me lazy but could you have a link to the aliens who fielded them? Would make putting the face with the ship easier :P
I was looking earlier, but I couldn't find them. I'm guessing Graham hasn't put them up yet.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939