New RP Discussion

Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: RP characters

Post by Mark »

I wouldn't mind that either. I'm a HUGE fan of fantasy. I'd love to explore the age of swords and sorcery.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Mark wrote:I wouldn't mind that either. I'm a HUGE fan of fantasy. I'd love to explore the age of swords and sorcery.
Well that or what I was meaning was Graham, Reliant's, or my universe. Or invent a new one.
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Given that we're apparantly going to be playing as ships, why not go the whole hog - the Culture.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Captain Seafort wrote:Given that we're apparantly going to be playing as ships, why not go the whole hog - the Culture.
I don't know enough about the culture in military terms :-/

We'd have to get Graham or Reliant's permission to use their universe. You have permission to use mine :D But mine is fantasy setting.
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

I stuck to the SW idea since everyone knows about it too some form. I don't want to build a new universe since it would take a lot of time to build and run. If you want that then you have to start working on it and build a whole fleet and galaxy to draw from. In SW, we have everything already done.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

True. I guess I'm just wanting to RP something new. I guess it depends on who the GM would be.

-Remain Star Trek-
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

I would be the GM for this upcoming one.

If you'd like something new, come up with something. I don't think you'd have to much trouble with people wanting to join up if you can get enough put together.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

My vote is with what Deep's suggesting with a twist. Say you want to include something from various universes, I'm going to use mine as an example and i want a Arenta class frigate. Why not simply name a new ship construction company, and alter the weapons and stats to fit the universe. Exchange the laser weapons on the Arenta for lasers from 'Wars, make an approximation of the weapons fit.

Of course, just going with SW is easier.

I Vote Deep's game mechanics, with a basic SW universe. It just works easier. I'm not too keen on fantasy, but for my bit, i think LOTR style might be good. With Fantasy you can have whatever the frak you want really. But i'm with SW.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

If you want to build your own then just use Star Wars tech. I dont see that being a problem. Since we're starting before the Empire started taking things over. Any character designed ships have to remain under a thousand meters. I don't want this to turn into a My Universe vs Your Universe issue.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

I think, for the start anyway, that would be a good size limit. 1,000 meters to 1,500 meters at the highest.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

I'm going to stick to the thousand meter limit. Private construction never went above that from I've ever seen. Plus, most of the major shipyards are sided one way or the other. Getting someone to build a large scale ship outside of that could prove difficult.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

I went a little higher to accommodate the Mon Calamari designs as they are supposed to be converted liners. Then again, they would have to be bloody expensive at that size.

Shall we have a poll to see what universe to base it in? or are you going to go ahead with 'Wars?
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

SW has about half the votes and its well known. The Mon Cal cruisers were built by the Mon Cal shipyards and were VERY costly. Plus, we only know of three that were above 1200 meters. Home One and her sister ships. At one thousand meters, a person can pretty much make whatever they want. Unlike faction own ships, a personal ship can be purpose built. This means you could easily out do a much larger JoAT ship.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Plus there are smaller MC ships if you want (might be a canon grey area) such as the MC30's featured in EAW: FoC. But you can probably requisition a custom ship if you so wished to, and had the money.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Reliant121 wrote:Plus there are smaller MC ships if you want (might be a canon grey area) such as the MC30's featured in EAW: FoC.
Those are canon all right - in fact they're based on a RotJ concept sketch.

I suggest that rather than 1000m, we set the limit as 1600m - i.e. ISDs and larger are banned. It also has canon backing as an upper limit for privately owned ships (Corran Horn mentioned in The Bacta War that there was "nothing that size in private ownership", referring to an ISD).

I also suggest restrictions on the ships you're allowed under that size limit - specifically, no Suncrushers. :evil:
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.