Borg invasion

Trek Books, Games and General chat
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Borg invasion

Post by Sionnach Glic »

We saw a torp beamed onto a Borg vessel before, so we know it's possible.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

i love the flashbacks in ''unity''(voy), boy those klingons got their asses whooped, anyway, i think that the big three could take on a solitary borg cube or even a few but its not a case of not having the proper tech just a case of needing less orthodox tactics and strategies.
I wonder if thalaron could take down a cube?
Is it me, or do borg not adapt in advance after scanning a ship but instead idiotically wait until they're hit for the first time, thus potentially making them vulnerable to certain potent weapons?
PTLLS (Tees Achieve), DipHE App Bio (Northumbria), BSc Psychology (Teesside), Comparative Planetology (LJMU), High Energy Astrophysics (LJMU), Mobile Robotics/Physics (Swinburne), Genetics (SAC), Quant Meths (SAC)
https://www.facebook.com/PeterBrayshay
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

They may not be able to adapt just from scanning, for whatever reason.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
colmquinn
Commander
Commander

Post by colmquinn »

I think they just can't make an "imaginative" leap and only recognise what they're seen before, in your average drone filled ship.
But I can't throw, I throw like a geek!
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

I'm kinda like the Borg in that respect. I can't really learn a skill from simply hearing about it. I gotta do it, or experience it for it to sink in.
SomosFuga
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by SomosFuga »

We are talking about a post DW scenario so lets say the borg were able to add a body armor to their personal shields prety much like those anubis super soldiers in SG1, that would be a logic adaptation to Worf´s mekleth and that tomson submachine gun we saw in FC.

that makes me wonder, are all drones the same?
i mean we have see lots of different drones but do they have different purposes like repair drone, security drone, tactical drone, pilot drone, maybe queen drone, etc. I´m gueesing that any drone can make most of the tasks but a specialized one should be better on its particular job. A tactical drone with heavier armor/shielding and disruptors/phasers on its wrist (and a blade on the other wrist) you could even use stronger species like klingos, nausicans o jemhadar for this one; but if you want a pilot drone you use a species with better reflexes.
Just gueesing.
Trata las situaciones estresantes como lo haría 1 perro: si no puedes comértelo o jugar con ello, méate encima y lárgate!!!

Handle stressful situations as a dog would: if you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and get out of there!!!
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

SomosFuga wrote:We are talking about a post DW scenario so lets say the borg were able to add a body armor to their personal shields prety much like those anubis super soldiers in SG1, that would be a logic adaptation to Worf´s mekleth and that tomson submachine gun we saw in FC.
I'm pretty certain that the Borg had run into bladed weapons and projectile weapons long before the events of FC. Their failure to adapt to them is probably just a deliberate lack of care.
SomosFuga wrote:i mean we have see lots of different drones but do they have different purposes like repair drone, security drone, tactical drone, pilot drone, maybe queen drone, etc. I´m gueesing that any drone can make most of the tasks but a specialized one should be better on its particular job. A tactical drone with heavier armor/shielding and disruptors/phasers on its wrist (and a blade on the other wrist) you could even use stronger species like klingos, nausicans o jemhadar for this one; but if you want a pilot drone you use a species with better reflexes.
All drones seem to be identical, regardless of their purposes.
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

talaxians make good drones apparently, wonder if you could use jem hadar? am sure the borg could wean them off the 'white...
PTLLS (Tees Achieve), DipHE App Bio (Northumbria), BSc Psychology (Teesside), Comparative Planetology (LJMU), High Energy Astrophysics (LJMU), Mobile Robotics/Physics (Swinburne), Genetics (SAC), Quant Meths (SAC)
https://www.facebook.com/PeterBrayshay
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

The Borg naming conventions seem to indicate a particular role. However, they've never seemed to be built or equipped specially for that role.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Rochey wrote:I'm pretty certain that the Borg had run into bladed weapons and projectile weapons long before the events of FC. Their failure to adapt to them is probably just a deliberate lack of care.
Not just probably - unless 8472's boarding of the cube in Scorpion was the first occurrence (which doesn't seem likely) they'd been engaging opponents hand-to-hand for six months.
Mikey wrote:The Borg naming conventions seem to indicate a particular role. However, they've never seemed to be built or equipped specially for that role.
They did, however, seem to assign drones to roles based on their species, suggesting that they at least took physical characteristics into account.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
SomosFuga
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by SomosFuga »

Well the look of the drones is always changing, there are different eye pieces and different arm prosthesis (are they all right handed?) so i assumed it would be due to different task for diferent drone model or tipe and not just a fx thing, i mean it would be logical if borg are supposed to be as efficient as they claim.

It is curious that picard has not lost his aye or hand, of course there are real world reasons but they corrected the situation with 7of9. IIRC locutus is the only borg we have seen with both ayes.
Trata las situaciones estresantes como lo haría 1 perro: si no puedes comértelo o jugar con ello, méate encima y lárgate!!!

Handle stressful situations as a dog would: if you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and get out of there!!!
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Either they decided he didn't need an eye implant - he was supposed to be a spokesperson and advisor - or his assimilation was never completed.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

I'm betting that he didn't get an eye implant due to the fact of him being a spokesman. Leaving him relatively human looking would likely make it easier for him to convince the rest of humanity to give up.

Why do the Borg remove an eye anyways? Why not just have a plug and play slot on the side of the drone's head and attach an alternate visual device there?
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Tyyr wrote:Why do the Borg remove an eye anyways? Why not just have a plug and play slot on the side of the drone's head and attach an alternate visual device there?
It might be easier for them to wire up the scanner to the optic nerves than to splice a completely new route into the brain.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Possibly, but the brain is wired to interpret visual light in a certain way from the eye.

The real reason is that they get the squick effect of carving out the victim's eye as they get turned into a space zombie.